IGNORED

Looks vaguely important or at least that it should be attached!?!

Pocono

So I am just beginning to get some miles on this new to me 2020 RT and today was the first day out after a 60 mile ride home that was fairly non-eventful.  Coming off a Triumph Trophy I have some recent'ish seat time on a 1200 RT, ride home was mostly what I was expecting except pretty cold so I was probably to bundles up to notice much.  So, today we went from 38F this morning to 71F by 1pm and after chores, wifey and I jumped on and went for ice cream about 30 miles away, seemed appropriate.  So ride 2 seemed to go about as planned.  But a few questions. 

1)  As I think understand, this has auto-load sensing and adjusting, i.e. 1up vs 2up.  On the Trophy easy enough electronically adjusted through the onboard controls but I believe this does it automatically?      

2)  On the way home I noticed flopping around on the right side of the fairing this little gem( see pixs)... pretty sure I would have seen this prior, but maybe not.  A quick little search underneath and I found a keyed slot that seem to match and if I had to guess I would say air temp sensor?  I also wondered after inserted (presumably in the correct location) should I try and turn the collar like a 1/4 turn to lock in?

3)  Where should this run on the temp bar gauge?  It's been pretty cool thus far and it floats between 5/6 bars, even at highway speed with lots of air flow.  I stopped ask directions and in the minute we idled on the side of the road went up to 8 (I think) and fan came on... Triumph probably would have done similar in 2up riding even on a 70F day.

4)  Exhaust bluing,  Does this look about right for a 7,500 mile bike?  After 24k Th Trophy still looked fairly new...

5)  This almost seems like it has a very minor old school 2-stroke dirt bike power-band right around 2500 rpm... or something, it's kinda the best way to describe... something almost seems to kick in and pretty sure she's not supercharged.... Its very subtle and typically 2 or 3 gear?  Is the exhaust variable, the change seems also to be accompanied with a new exhaust note as well?!?

20220306_171018.jpg

20220306_171507.jpg

20220306_171725.jpg

16 hours ago, Pocono said:

So I am just beginning to get some miles on this new to me 2020 RT and today was the first day out after a 60 mile ride home that was fairly non-eventful.  Coming off a Triumph Trophy I have some recent'ish seat time on a 1200 RT, ride home was mostly what I was expecting except pretty cold so I was probably to bundles up to notice much.  So, today we went from 38F this morning to 71F by 1pm and after chores, wifey and I jumped on and went for ice cream about 30 miles away, seemed appropriate.  So ride 2 seemed to go about as planned.  But a few questions. 

1)  As I think understand, this has auto-load sensing and adjusting, i.e. 1up vs 2up.  On the Trophy easy enough electronically adjusted through the onboard controls but I believe this does it automatically?      

2)  On the way home I noticed flopping around on the right side of the fairing this little gem( see pixs)... pretty sure I would have seen this prior, but maybe not.  A quick little search underneath and I found a keyed slot that seem to match and if I had to guess I would say air temp sensor?  I also wondered after inserted (presumably in the correct location) should I try and turn the collar like a 1/4 turn to lock in?

3)  Where should this run on the temp bar gauge?  It's been pretty cool thus far and it floats between 5/6 bars, even at highway speed with lots of air flow.  I stopped ask directions and in the minute we idled on the side of the road went up to 8 (I think) and fan came on... Triumph probably would have done similar in 2up riding even on a 70F day.

4)  Exhaust bluing,  Does this look about right for a 7,500 mile bike?  After 24k Th Trophy still looked fairly new...

5)  This almost seems like it has a very minor old school 2-stroke dirt bike power-band right around 2500 rpm... or something, it's kinda the best way to describe... something almost seems to kick in and pretty sure she's not supercharged.... Its very subtle and typically 2 or 3 gear?  

Morning   Pocono

Yes, looks important but really isn't that important. That is the ambient air temperature sensor (outside air temperature sensor). It has nothing to do with fueling control,  intake air temp, or engine runability as it's only purpose it to show the outside air temperature & show outside air warning snowflake on the dash. 

Put it back in place, if it falls out again then have your dealer look at it, or you can probably make up a very thin soft foam gasket that will put some tension on the seating ring & probably keep it from falling out again. 

21 minutes ago, Pocono said:

So nobody wants to take a poke at Questions 1,3,4or5?  

Yeah, alright...

I have a '21 RT so it may differ from yours. In the light of that:

1. Yes, it is automatic. There is a rod between the swing arm and telelever arm and their respective sensors that are fixed to the frame. They pick up the sag on the suspension and adjust preload to level the bike.

3. No gauge on the '21 bike, sorry. You can have a number if you like. Mine runs at around 90 degrees C

4. No, not right, but mine was already blue with 0 miles on it, others were not. The good news is it did not change in almost 20k kilometres.

5. You are riding a boxer. It is very different from a triple like the Trumpy. I don't know what kick you feel around 2500 rpm, the real kick is around 4k rpm when the cams shift from low lift to high. There is an exhaust valve with a motor near the right foot peg. That opens, closes and seizes as required, hence the change in tone.  Seizing of the valve is country dependant. Our friends in the UK, due to their wet weather, seem to experience the most issues of this nature. Moisture in bush type bearings that cannot be lubricated due to high temperatures are the normal cause. You will get an error code but the bike will be rideable.

Heat Bars.  My 2014 runs 4 bars in less I get stopped for a long time.  It will creep up to 6.  Never seen 8.  If I am riding in sub 40 weather it will vacillate between 3 and 4.  Be sure you have cleaned the bugs off on both radiators.  Mine gets covered.  Just a garden hose and a sponge works great.  No high pressure.

The picture of your pipes looks odd to me.  Mine don't look anything like that.

those pipes look horrible.  might be able to repolish them and let them color again.  They will color.  To me looks like someone sprayed a chemical cleaner on them and did not rinse it before getting it hot.