IGNORED

Old time bike shops

TEWKS

Stopped in Eastern Cycle in Beverly Ma. a little bit ago. I needed a front brake reservoir cap. My 94 Ducati’s cover was blistering from some spilled or seeping brake fluid. Called Steve Keegan the owner and the same guy I purchased the bike from originally to see if he could locate one for me, um hold on, yeah I got one. Really!!! :yes: Cool shop, good guy and a great Ducati mechanic.

7646B242-871A-4B9C-AA50-AEDA013427CF.jpeg

230412FD-E95F-4CA4-9705-2CC63A061CAD.jpeg

B67EC5A7-CF19-4AF2-BD7A-FA3BC2517AA9.jpeg

• Like 6
roadscholar

Cool shop, dont find many of those anymore. Of the 3 photos I had bikes just like 2 of them, an identical Vespa when I was 14 (dayum, 60 years ago : ) and a MotoMorini 3.5 except was the sport model with different bodywork and a huge drum front brake, it was like a mini 900SS. The middle pic looks like a white/red Daytona Special front fender sticking out, one of the coolest Japanese bikes ever.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

The middle pic looks like a white/red Daytona Special front fender sticking out, one of the coolest Japanese bikes ever.

Damn I almost snapped a picture of it! :dopeslap: Knew there was something about it but it got passed up. :facepalm:

I sure envy you living in an area where you have so many shops, new and used. I remember in my younger days there were shops selling Triumph, Moto Guzzi, Bultaco, HD, Greeves, Ossa, Hodaka, BMW, Ducati etc. Now just Indian, HD, and Kawazukiyamahon. Sigh

• Like 1

Right behind Eastern Cycle was Freeman Cycle BMW & Moto Guzzi. Quick story, he’s out of business and has been for years. I tried to buy my first BMW from him, Skipp the owner. I didn’t know it at the time but he was a quirky dude to put it mildly.

I was interested in the 1994 RSL in classic black. It was a limited paint option on that bike, that year. He said he didn’t have one and also said I didn’t want one. WTF, say you? :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

You want one of these, a 1994 R 100 GS/PD. Why the ….. would I want that goofy looking wannabe dirt bike? :dontknow: Little did I know, years later I would rethink and regret that “why the ….  would I want” statement.

Anyway, I’ve always bought bikes with negotiating for a better price and that was the mindset I took to his shop. He wasn’t having any of that. I sell BMW motorcycles you peasant! Ok, off I went and called around. Razee BMW in RI had the exact bike I wanted! :yes:

We negotiated a price over the phone which included some extras that BMW was tossing in as a promotional offer.

I called Skipp back and told him I’d give him $500 bucks more if I could purchase this same bike from him. (bike trade or however dealerships work that out) He had a good reputation for service was why I offered that. He bassically told me to go …. myself. :rofl:

I bought the bike in RI.

His old shop still has some cool artwork on it. :thumbsup:

BA5008D1-BF9E-4507-BB8E-E2462AED6B1A.jpeg

• Like 1

One more pic of Eastern cycle. It was actually called Eastern Cycle Salvage when I bought my Ducati from him. It later changed to Eastern Cycle Ducati and now it’s just Eastern Cycle. And that’s a whole lot of useless info right there! :classic_biggrin:

As you walk in.

521A4460-3BB4-4410-8EB0-A2C7FD5D5F10.jpeg

• Like 1

No pics to share, unfortunately. But I am reminded of the original BMW of Denver on West Evans back in the 70's, and Denny Laidig's shop in Akron in the 80's.

• Like 1

Definitely miss those small, enthusiast run shops. In Philly, Spare Parts is still going strong. Excellent mechanic owner is Roland. 

also, not too far away, is Hermy’s BMW/TRIUMPH.  Successful, and modern, but still down to earth.

• Like 1

I have frequented Heid's in Johnsburg NY !!   I discovered Heid's on my Americade trips and would stop in for an oil change or a battery, etc.  The dad Bill Heid used to wrench and mom Terry ran the office.   Sons Paul and Peter wrenched as well.  This was a great shop where you could watch them work on your bike and they would explain what they were doing and why.   Have not been up there for a few years but assume Paul is still the great tech he always was. I believe bother Peter passes away too. 

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/news.asp?id=327305

i-wxpjbbN-X2.jpg

i-GsQgMp3-X2.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, Lemans said:

No pics to share, unfortunately. But I am reminded of the original BMW of Denver on West Evans back in the 70's, and Denny Laidig's shop in Akron in the 80's.

Colorado Springs once had a "mom & pop" BMW shop back in the '80s and into the '90s. Personal service and quite friendly and welcoming dealer. It was sometime around 92 or 93 I visited them with a coworker jonesing for a GSPD. I about soiled myself when I saw the $7300 +/- sticker of a red n white model. Wish I'd have had the sense to buy it then.....

• Like 1

I wish I bought the GSPD too but I know I’d never of kept it long enough to become valuable or at least make its way back towards retail. I would of dumped it at the low end for the next best thing. :facepalm:

Saying that, I can’t believe my GS has been ten years in my possession. :thumbsup:

fourteenfour

I always enjoyed stopping by BlueMoon Cycle in Norcross, Georgia. Haven't been there since the pandemic but their site does have some photos of the interior and their used bikes are always interesting.  They used to be a BMW dealer but exited that business and the group that did take the license folded during the pandemic.

The owner of Blue Moon is a bit of an eccentric, has some really rare motorcycles, but I did buy more than one BMW from them as they were good people.

https://www.bluemooncycle.com/

On 3/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, fourteenfour said:

I always enjoyed stopping by BlueMoon Cycle in Norcross, Georgia. Haven't been there since the pandemic but their site does have some photos of the interior and their used bikes are always interesting.  They used to be a BMW dealer but exited that business and the group that did take the license folded during the pandemic.

The owner of Blue Moon is a bit of an eccentric, has some really rare motorcycles, but I did buy more than one BMW from them as they were good people.

https://www.bluemooncycle.com/

+1 on Blue Moon !!   Back when the International Motorcycle show made a stop in Atlanta we'd always stop at Blue moon.  The bikes on the mezzanine were really cool!   Have not been back in years. 

• 3 weeks later...

Our little local shop Not the most personable guy in the world. Not sure how he stays in business. Guess it’s because he’s the only game around 

043F454B-3A3C-437D-9C01-76EA8B2B3934.jpeg

EAD09AC9-1094-4969-9518-750E453F48A8.jpeg

52625C77-9CDC-454F-8149-0B1CDE06ACDE.jpeg

FADDBA28-6FFB-48A9-AAA3-529D758DBF95.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Our little local shop Not the most personable guy in the world. Not sure how he stays in business. Guess it’s because he’s the only game around 

043F454B-3A3C-437D-9C01-76EA8B2B3934.jpeg

EAD09AC9-1094-4969-9518-750E453F48A8.jpeg

52625C77-9CDC-454F-8149-0B1CDE06ACDE.jpeg

FADDBA28-6FFB-48A9-AAA3-529D758DBF95.jpeg

Where in NC is that ?? 

21 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Where in NC is that ?

Beaufort          small coastal town on the other side of the inlet from Morehead City

WOW ... I am headed that way this weekend.  Leaving tomorrow for Wilmington and then to Kitty Hawk.  May have to make a stop and meet Mr. Cranky! 

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

WOW ... I am headed that way this weekend.

Are you following the coast , via ferry, Cedar Isl.  Ocracoke  Hatteras ect or going up inland ?

MichiganBob

I love to check out older bikes. Three places i really like is Wheel Through Time in Maggie Valley, N.C., Barber in Birmingham (incredible collection), and if your tooling through Kansas, the Kansas Motorcycle Museum in Marquette which pays tribute to one of their own. Stan the Man Engdahl and his 600 plus trophies including his world championship awards.

2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Are you following the coast , via ferry, Cedar Isl.  Ocracoke  Hatteras ect or going up inland ?

Not 100% sure ... will probably skip the ferries as we don't want to lose time.   But staying as close to coast as we can.  We both lived in NC for 20+ years and neither of us have ridden the outer Banks. 

41 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

I love to check out older bikes. Three places i really like is Wheel Through Time in Maggie Valley, N.C., Barber in Birmingham (incredible collection), and if your tooling through Kansas, the Kansas Motorcycle Museum in Marquette which pays tribute to one of their own. Stan the Man Engdahl and his 600 plus trophies including his world championship awards.

Bob ,... I have been to all 3 of those and Kansas Museum twice.  First time I was there we actually met Stan's wife who was a sweetheart! 

MichiganBob

I would have loved to meet her RTinNC. The stories she could tell about traveling in the old days on the racing circuit. You were lucky to share a moment with her.

17 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

I would have loved to meet her RTinNC. The stories she could tell about traveling in the old days on the racing circuit. You were lucky to share a moment with her.

She was truly a sweetheart and you could tell how much she loved her husband