IGNORED

Error message on automatic preload and strut!!

bimmers

Started bike up in normal fashion, warmed up so rpm got lowered, all normal. Ride 100yards and a big rectangle with error as in headline. You can continue riding but contact BMW service immediately etc..

so I rode 30 miles, bike sat for 2 hours started again to ride back. Same message so it did not cured with reboot and cool off. 
rode home and connected to charger jut if it would help, unlikely though.

So question is has anyone experienced this error and is it a glitch or a defect, curing itself or requiring new components?

bike has now ab. 2500 miles so rarely ridden over 9 months.

h

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e581fb2be43fe8a06df07cb606c9de.jpeg

1 hour ago, bimmers said:

Started bike up in normal fashion, warmed up so rpm got lowered, all normal. Ride 100yards and a big rectangle with error as in headline. You can continue riding but contact BMW service immediately etc..

so I rode 30 miles, bike sat for 2 hours started again to ride back. Same message so it did not cured with reboot and cool off. 
rode home and connected to charger jut if it would help, unlikely though.

So question is has anyone experienced this error and is it a glitch or a defect, curing itself or requiring new components?

bike has now ab. 2500 miles so rarely ridden over 9 months.

Evening  bimmers

Unless you can find a wire pulled loose, or get a GS-911 on it to grab the fault code(s) then it will probably require a trip to your dealer.  

Even if you manage to get it working you might not want to do that.  You really want to get your dealer to see it with the fault active so they can document it. That way if the failure comes back later in miles or time you have that failure on record with BMW.

I have that happen occasionally on my 2020 R1250GS but it has always cleared after being powered down for a couple of minutes. There are a few reports on advrider.com of the intermittent issue I have experienced but none like yours.

• 2 weeks later...
Shelterwoods

I have seen this a couple of times, goes away, BMW shop doesn't see any code when I've taken in under warranty. Almost glad to hear others see it.

Del

Took it to dealer. Indicates problem with front suspension. Two wires one has required  V the other lower than spec. 
Dealer contacted BMW, first thing BMW wants before replying are photographs of both sides of bike! What is that all about?

the bike has barely 2500 miles on it so I'm really curious to what is going on , could be a problem with the wire harness? Or anything, took it in on Tuesday and so far crickets after initial test report.

pictures of the bike??  Not a particular area but side views I was told??

h

11 hours ago, bimmers said:

Took it to dealer. Indicates problem with front suspension. Two wires one has required  V the other lower than spec. 
Dealer contacted BMW, first thing BMW wants before replying are photographs of both sides of bike! What is that all about?

the bike has barely 2500 miles on it so I'm really curious to what is going on , could be a problem with the wire harness? Or anything, took it in on Tuesday and so far crickets after initial test report.

pictures of the bike??  Not a particular area but side views I was told??

h

Morning  bimmers

You probably need to ask the dealer this question. 

Who knows the reason, possibly to verify your motorcycle is actually the one being warrantied & not a friends out-of-warranty motorcycle. Or to see if any side damage from accident or droppage, or possibly that particular  dealer has had some fraudulent warranty claims in the past, or possibly to see if the motorcycle has any added visible lights or accessories that could effect electronics,   or just to be as much of a pain to customers as possible.  

• Haha 1

the dealer was dumbfounded by it no one knew why. anyway whatever the reason is they should have those pix now.

h

• 3 weeks later...

They requested the same on my 2018RT for a warrantee repair.  I told them I could do one better, I told them to keep the keys, and traded it for a 2021.  Please post what they find on the voltage issue curious how the circuit is controlled.

• 1 year later...

Late in replying to this in general. Don't know the voltage measurements but BMW resolved it by sending a new shock unit and since then it has been fine. Not been riding enough and esp. not any mountain riding but so far so good and finally 6k Svcs which obviously is more of a scam based on the "check" this and that list and very few actual actions except oil change. 

ANyway very happy with bike overall.

H