IGNORED

SM500

Greetings, planning to ride the Smokey Mountain 500 in June.  Would welcome your feedback on how many days 3 or 4?  Where did you stay (I am not tent camping)?  And some overall opinions of your trip.

Thanks! 

Dan 

I rode it a few years ago in counterclockwise direction over 3 days with camping and riding from Charlotte. It was too much! 4 days would make it relaxing. I would love to ride it again hoteling it (lighter bike) or camping. Stayed at the Iron Horse Lodge (they have cabins) on the first night. First day has a road with multiple creek crossings which can be sketchy. Day 3 was the most challenging for my KTM 1290 super adventure with street tires riding Charley's creek rocky uphill and subsequent DEEP short creek crossing, followed by a long creek crossing but fairly easy if you stay to the right.

Keep the bike weight as low as possible for a better time on the off-road.

Keith

The creek crossings on Charlie's Creek Rd will vary in depth depending on time of year. Here's one that wasn't bad.

IMG_0668.JPG

There are a couple spots that are a little steep with some erosion (ruts) but plenty doable on a big bike, The long crossing at the Tallulah has a pretty smooth bottom but it's level and current can vary quite a bit too.

IMG_0649.JPG 

IMG_0600.JPG 

• Like 1

Keith and Bill thanks for the feedback.  Keith hope you are recovering well!  and Bill- nice pics!  Looks like I need to find some more vacation days to make it a 4 day.  
cheers! 

• Like 1

Section 2 in blue.

Tellico Rd.

Rainbow Springs Rd.

Charlies Creek Rd. (Bill) 

A few that I had planned for April! A little bit of the 500 without realizing it! :yes:

• Like 2

There’s only so many dirt roads that go thru you can connect together, he did a good job overall but missed some good stuff in a few places and went way around the mulberry bush in others : ) 

I think I sent you most of that eastern stuff last year Pat, I can check later. Paterson Gap, Standing Indian, Rainbow Springs, Tellico Gap, and dirt Cherohala are all easy but they’re scenic too.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

dirt Cherohala are all easy but they’re scenic too

Bill, on our transfer ride from Maggie Valley to Blairsville I chose the regular paved Cherohala across to Tellico Gorge and river Rd. Now the dirt Cherohala, is it a not to be missed ride in your opinion? Got time to “recalculate”. :classic_biggrin:

It’s worth doing but a bit out of your way from MV to Blairesville. If it were me I’d do the eastern half of dirt Cherohala along the river then backtrack on the paved Cherohala (they intersect at the state line) then go south over Tatham Gap to Andrews and a little east to Tusquitee Gap and down to Hiawassee.

• Thanks 1

Going to do that eastern dirt section as you mentioned. I’ve done the paved Cherohala a couple of times already. Thanks again Bill! :thumbsup:

Sounds good, maybe you can do the other on the way back or make it a day ride out of Blairsville, I could draw it up if you want.

I did draw up those eastern roads we discussed and added some stuff that connects to it out of Maggie Valley, look it over and see if you have any questions. There are two water crossings, one on Jenkins Creek and one on Conley's Creek, both are pretty easy. Don't know your timing but if you're hungry there's a good buffet after Jenkins Creek Rd on the east side of Cherokee (Granny's Kitchen), it's a little past your turn off so a short backtrack.

Between Tellico Gap and Rainbow Springs I included FR 711 in case you want to see it, it's mostly paved and goes over a mountain BUT it has gravel sections where the pavement is eroded away and usually in a blind turn so be careful, it's easy to forget and get caught out. Locals call it the Jimmy Carter Road because he was going to build a retreat up there but didn't get the chance, and I guess because it was a federal project was never maintained.

Google Maps wouldn't connect Charlie's Creek after it crosses the Tallulah but just keep going it's the only road there : ) Ended the route at US76 and SR 75 so you could go either way into Blairsville but south is more interesting and less traffic. 

I added a few bits around Dillard the SM500 guy missed, you'll love Mulberry Rd. (paved), even if you need gas or food by then go back and do it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1TE_i6wFkv5kOrgr3z9LZNKVdfaFGeypv&usp=sharing

• Thanks 1