IGNORED

"No One Said it Would be Easy" Book Review

MotoNews

Published in: Media

NoOneSaidItWouldBeEasy-Review-intro.jpg

No One Said it Would be Easy - Written by Des Molloy, Reviewed by Sam Manicom

Do true adventures require life and death situations? No One Said it Would be Easy, by Kiwi author Des Molloy, grabbed me within the first pages, and took me on a journey that left a genuine sense of loss when I turned the last pages. I love it when a book does that.

Set in the 1970s, this is an inspirational and wonderfully descriptive tale of a more than slightly mad, incredibly optimistic, tiny budget ride from the U.S. through South America. Four riders experienced an adventure that’ll be the envy of many while putting shivers down the spines of others.

Des, girlfriend Steph, and brother Rolly, start off from the U.K. and join their good mate, Lawrie, in the U.S. They plan to head south on three classic motorcycles: two 1960s Yorkshire-made single-cylinder Panthers and a pre-war BSA. Note these bikes were from the era when the British motorcycle industry was on very wobbly legs, and most riders were heading for the reliability of Japanese engineering.

These classic motorcycles indeed presented plenty of challenges requiring the imaginative and creative bodgering talents of Rolly, the group mechanic, and his many “bush fixes.” How he managed to keep the bikes running is tied to the engrossing nature of the story.

“Shambolic” is a great word to describe much of the journey, but playfully. I admire them; they got the most out of each day, letting nothing stop them. And they lived on such a tight budget that many a less hardy type couldn’t have managed. Following their group dynamics was fascinating and had me grinning several times.

Des, the group organizer, was a natural in his tightrope-walker role, especially considering what they lived through with the bikes, the terrain, the lack of funds, and the events that placed them in real danger. Their tale is a combination of happy-go-lucky optimism and sheer faith that they’d make it. This journey does not disappoint.

Descriptions of places, people, and landscapes are so vivid that it was like being there. I loved their friendly respect for those they met and their cultures along the way. And I really enjoyed it when the author drew me into a situation where I felt their joy, sweat, and hunger, even the grit between their teeth.

Although I originally picked up No One Said just to read about the journey, Des had me laughing, relating, learning, and in awe. His book left me absolutely impressed. The point that 40-plus years have passed since the journey only adds to the appeal. Poor maps, no GPS, no Google, impossible to acquire spare parts… it’s a fun and fascinating window into a bygone era. All I can say is add this book to your collection. You’ll not regret it.

NoOneSaidItWouldBeEasy Review covers

Rating:  4.5 of 5 stars

Title: No One Said It Would Be Easy: A Youthful Folly Across the Americas on Old Bikes

Author: Des Molloy

Publisher: Kahuku Publishing

ISBN: 9781922328267

ASIN: B07YX1Q629

Media: Paperback $16 | Kindle $5.39

Where to Buy: Amazon btn

View the full article