IGNORED

White Helmet

MichiganBob

Now that's a surprise. I figured it was time for a new helmet. Mine is bright Orange. I did some research and it seems that pure white is now ranked as the safest.  What do you think of that?

• Like 2

So they say ... I've heard that too.  Recently, I've tried to find a helmet with some hi-viz yellow (green?) to match my riding jacket.  I did see some sample photos online with different helmet colors and the white was definitely more noticeable.  However, I haven't seen any study that included the hi-viz yellow color yet.

Well, my $400 LS2 Valiant II matte black helmet was about $200 direct from Spain (four day delivery!).   It matches my wife's $300+ LS2 Valiant helmet I got for her on sale on Amazon for about $180, though hers has cool looking Hi Viz yellow trim.   I figure for $200 - $300 in overall savings, I can find a roll of yellow high vis tape, and wrap mine up like an ugly Christmas tree.😁  Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional, and though I've yet to ride with them, both my wife and I already think we have the nicest helmets we've ever owned, based upon functionality and fit.

My old, backup, 15 year old helmet is a White Nolan (also a Modular helmet), and I'll keep that for when I want to feel really, REALLY "safe".  😏

I guess it depends on the bike. If you are on a full dresser I doubt it really matters because no one is going to see your helmet all that clearly from the front and I still would rely more on brightly colored clothing while riding any naked bike. From the front I was always a fan of a headlight modulator but modern lights don't necessarily support them

The only part of a “white helmet” that’s going to make you any safer on the road is the gray matter that resides inside it. :spittake: Saying that, you taking advantage of every angle in safety is the smart thing to do. :thumbsup: Now, where’d I hide that black stich and dark blue helmet of mine? :facepalm: :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

The last time I shopped for a helmet, the solid yellow was really ugly, and plain white was hard to find.

I compromised:

image.png.66ebe87fb3ba48bbd63e09f8c97f4b97.png

I've had solid white and solid yellow in the past, the yellow helmet is the only one that co-workers commented on. "Spotted you getting on the freeway this morning", etc.  Not sure if that was because it was more eye-catching or because it was more unique.

Since my bike, jacket, and pants are basically the color of asphalt, I definitely needed to add some color. With front and rear Skene lights and a Hi-Viz Turtle vest, it's been a long time since I felt invisible.

• Like 1

MichiganBob,

I did the same research about 5 years ago and came to the same conclusion about white helmets, don't remember the sources exactly, maybe NHTSA or something like that but there were more than one study with similar findings.  My LS2, Neotec 2, and Shuberth are all solid white.  Sometimes I wonder if other drivers see a solid white helmet in the rear view mirror and their first thought is "COP!!".  Don't think I've ever seen a LEO helmet any other color.  There has to be a reason for that.

I remember reading some studies a while back  that ranked yellow than orange than white.   You don't see road workers and construction workers wearing white vests. Interesting.

15 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Now that's a surprise. I figured it was time for a new helmet. Mine is bright Orange. I did some research and it seems that pure white is now ranked as the safest.  What do you think of that?

Afternoon Bob

I have been sold on white helmets for 40+ years now. I don't know about safest but they are definitely easy to pick out in traffic. 

Next group ride you go on just ride drag & see what helmets (w-a-y out front) stand out (to me personally white is the most obvious). 

In my area white helmet riders seem to have fewer mishaps but that is probably more than likely due to the riders wearing them than the helmet color.  (a lot of older experienced riders in my area/groups have worn white helmets for years & years now, way before bright color helmets were readably available. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

@Lowndes, plus your riding jacket (rain?) has that high vis yellow section across the shoulders, with the rest of the jacket being black.  Couple that with the white helmet while your Honda something-or-other-ST, people behind will think twice about passing

12 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Bob

I have been sold on white helmets for 40+ years now. I don't know about safest but they are definitely easy to pick out in traffic. 

Next group ride you go on just ride drag & see what helmets (w-a-y out front) stand out (to me personally white is the most obvious). 

In my area white helmet riders seem to have fewer mishaps but that is probably more than likely due to the riders wearing them than the helmet color.  (a lot of older experienced riders in my area/groups have worn white helmets for years & years now, way before bright color helmets were readably available. 

Totally agree, as a long time ride leader before intercoms were prevalent I always wanted the sweep to have a white helmet because it was more visible than any other color. In the  distance it's like a bright light bulb in a sea of other colors that run together. Been wearing white helmets almost that long : )

14 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

I don't know about safest but they are definitely easy to pick out in traffic

Same for airplanes.  That why most are white with accents.  Red airplanes often are very hard to see.  There are some studies on airplanes and white.  I'll see if I can dig them up.

Top of the day DR.

I'm heading over to Daytona for a few days. No better place to do a visual study with all the bikes passing by. Also looking forward to demo rides as you suggested. At least five manufacturers will be offering them. Looking for that midsize Florida bike.

Good point on identifying other confounding variables that might contribute to or be a rival explanation. There may be disproportionate sampling.  Unless the 

Sampling frame was meticulously structured, the results might be skewed.  This includes unequal numbers in each color group, age, years of experience,  type of bike, location, and so on.

• Like 1

I've bought bright yellow Shoei modular helmets for 15 years or so. Reason I chose yellow over white was that in a sea of traffic, it stands out from all the white trucks and vans,  is stark contrast to the muted color popular on cars these days, and yellow is not a common color you see in traffic. Shoei discontinued the yellow modulars and I've been wearing a Notch II Spicer helmet in high-viz green. Reason I chose green is that the human eye is more sensitive to green than other colors. I've also found some green high viz, reflective decals that match Shoei green perfectly. So I feel I stand out becuase of hte green color and I sparkle in the sunlight😎. I'll try to take a picture tmw.

Fire engines seem to come in three colors: traditional red, high-viz green and, more recently, white. 

Also, whoever mentioned that LEO motorcyclist wear white hasn't seen the CHP motorcycle officer's helmets. Personally, I think its a design and color combo from another era and I've always been baffled why they don't wear full-face or modulator helmets.

image.png.f78599e8de339ab87daee249df6c4584.png

Miguel

18 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Same for airplanes.  That why most are white with accents.  Red airplanes often are very hard to see.  There are some studies on airplanes and white.  I'll see if I can dig them up.

Nope, many are painted white so as not to absorb heat plus its easier to spot leaks against that color if not rust and other issues.

About 10 years ago the wife took a class and got her M.C. license. I attended it with her for a refresher. They showed a  film on the different colored helmets, and stressed how white stood out the best. It was even on the test. I was also taught that Columbus discovered America. IDK. I will say though, watching the color presentation convinced me that white stood out the best.

19 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I don't think airplanes fly in such close proximity that they must rely on their color to keep traffic from turning left in front of them.

At least, I hope not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, lkraus said:

I don't think airplanes fly in such close proximity that they must rely on their color to keep traffic from turning left in front of them.

At least, I hope not.

Thank goodness for that.

Between Transponders, TCAS and ATC controlled airspace pilots are no longer required to wear white, yellow, orange or gray helmets in the cockpit while flying above sea level.

😉

On 2/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, MichiganBob said:

Now that's a surprise. I figured it was time for a new helmet. 

Morning Bob

There is one other thing to consider in helmet color choice. A sharp mind is a safe mind so a white helmet is probably the coolest color choice if you ride in hot direct sunlit areas.  

Aren't most school buses bright yellow? Based on science or tradition or costs to convert? The more we chat about this, the more i wonder about differentiation. Seldom see white on construction sites. I've seen a fair share of white public safety vehicles and ambulances.

2 hours ago, lkraus said:

don't think airplanes fly in such close proximity that they must rely on their color to keep traffic from turning left in front of them

you would be surprised. I had ADS A-B (TCAS) installed about 5 years ago. Never a flight without it going off a few times. I fly right seat with a a friend who owns a TBM 950 (340 kts @ 29000ft)from Houston to several cities out west for his business. TCAS alerts every time. You still need to see them or likely ATC will turn you. With closing rates of 10-12 miles per minute stuff happens in a hurry. TCAS is good but it isn’t perfect. 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, MichiganBob said:

I would agree. I used to wear a black full face but years ago switched to solid white when I noticed that all white helmets just stood out so much better from the background.  They might be cooler than black as well.

This study from New Zealand seems credible and supports the belief that white and other light colored helmets are more visible especially in combination with reflective or fluorescent clothing. Add conspicuous auxiliary lighting and we are doing the best we can to be visible to motorists that are looking outside and not at their phone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/

On 2/24/2022 at 5:18 AM, lkraus said:

The last time I shopped for a helmet, the solid yellow was really ugly, and plain white was hard to find.

I compromised:

image.png.66ebe87fb3ba48bbd63e09f8c97f4b97.png

I've had solid white and solid yellow in the past, the yellow helmet is the only one that co-workers commented on. "Spotted you getting on the freeway this morning", etc.  Not sure if that was because it was more eye-catching or because it was more unique.

Since my bike, jacket, and pants are basically the color of asphalt, I definitely needed to add some color. With front and rear Skene lights and a Hi-Viz Turtle vest, it's been a long time since I felt invisible.

Yep, that's part ugly, and the other part is, well, ugly, too.   That's MY sense of style - my kinda helmet!!  🤣🤣🤣

On 2/24/2022 at 9:45 AM, Skywagon said:

Hmm, I guess I'll have to remember that every time I jump on my pretty, *** RED *** RT.   😯😖  No one can see me, not even me.  Believe me, it was definitely a consideration.   

I still think my old black and white 2003 RT-P was the best, when it came to visibility.  Heck, I could stop crowds with that thing, let along part traffic like Moses and the Red Sea!  But, I won't wrapping the 2018 RT with CHP's colors, too pretty, as is (and more importantly, it's the wife's favorite color; family politics are important when buying your new bike!)  😁

So, I've got a red bike with black trim, a black helmet (with yellow pin striping, when I get around to it), black riding pants (cause I finally found them in my 2015 household move boxes, so for my upper body armor ...

... gonna have to be the brightest hi-vis yellow/white combination they have.  That, plus the lighting I'm adding, ~~ just may ~~ keep me alive a bit longer.

6 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Top of the day DR. Ubetcha. Dark helmets absorb heat and hotter than hell. White reflects sunshine very well.

Damn, I guess I'm buying some spray paint next time I'm at the hardware store.  I've been known as a hot head by some of my friends, and that new matte black helmet definitely ain't gonna help that. 

On 2/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, Scott9999 said:

Well, my $400 LS2 Valiant II matte black helmet was about $200 direct from Spain (four day delivery!).   It matches my wife's $300+ LS2 Valiant helmet I got for her on sale on Amazon for about $180, though hers has cool looking Hi Viz yellow trim.   I figure for $200 - $300 in overall savings, I can find a roll of yellow high vis tape, and wrap mine up like an ugly Christmas tree.😁  Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional, and though I've yet to ride with them, both my wife and I already think we have the nicest helmets we've ever owned, based upon functionality and fit.

My old, backup, 15 year old helmet is a White Nolan (also a Modular helmet), and I'll keep that for when I want to feel really, REALLY "safe".  😏

Nolan was my favorite brand; much better than Scorpion, my current lid.

48 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

Nolan was my favorite brand; much better than Scorpion, my current lid.

Yeah, I liked the Nolan quite a bit, but being as old as it is, it's really a 1st or 2nd generation modular helmet, i.e. noisy, somewhat heavy, poor airflow, etc..  I looked at their latest offerings, and still like them, but I thought that LS2 offered a better helmet.

re: Scorps:  I went over to a Cyclegear over the in the next city during Black Friday weekend, mostly check fitment for my wife's new helmet.  The way I read their web site, they carried the LS2 line, only to find out when I got there that (a) they did not carry them in the store, and  (b) did not really carry them online, either, expect by special order.  They were pushing some nice deals on the Scorpions which had me browsing reviews online.   Fitment was OK, but I really wasn't all that impressed.  Can't really say why, but I think it was the overall build quality.  I also bought the LS2's based upon reviews alone (formal, and customer reviews), which was somewhat risky.   My wife's came via Amazon, so I wasn't worried about returns on that one. Mine, coming from Spain, and paying a pretty penny for shipping (included in their discount price), was a much riskier shot in the dark. 

So, what happens when you buy a helmet, sight unseen, and without prior experience with the brand, OR even trying it on?  Well, then you tell everyone you know that it's the best helmet that's ever been made, even if it fits poorly, gives you a headache, looks like it's falling apart, because no MAN is gonna admit he was stupid buying a helmet without ... doing any of the stuff he should have.   (I just couldn't find a shop that carried LS2's nearby!)

However, in this case, (and admitting the possible "stupid buyer" bias), we found that we  like the helmets quite a bit.  Very light for modulars, good (but snug) fit (which should improve with wear), replacement padding is available in case my wife figures out she has to go smaller after break in), all the features work really well, including the pinlock visor, vents, and the chin bar lock-back feature (for open face riding), which is nice to have.

Of course, after we've been able to put 600 road miles on these helmets, I may be crying, because  only road time experience can prove a helmet's value one way or the other.  (Oh, and yeah, PLEASE tell me that you think that this is the best helmet that's ever been made, since I bought two of 'em, and am .... a tiny bit insecure about that.) 🤔🤯🙃😁

FYI, here's a linky 

LS2 Valiant II Helmet promo      

My approach to buying things online is to buy the top 3-to-5 leading candidates and returning the ones that I don't want. For helmets, I purchase them from cycelgear online, unless the store has the items I'm considering, and return the ones I don't want to the store. No shipping charges either way.  Last time I purchased a helmet, I had two Schuberth and two Shoei helmets in different sizes. I kept one and returned the other three to the store. 

• Like 1

I too am a white Helmet guy for all the reasons posted along with the fact that white is a blank canvas for some pin-striping or some unique stickers.  That being said years ago my riding buddy Don Miller had a bright red Aria and I have to say THAT was the only helmet I could always spot on a busy street,  in a crowd of bikes or on the interstate.  I know white is said to stand out more but not in my experience.   That being said I still have white. 

Lol, it did last Thanksgiving.  (The way things have been going, ya never know when another retailer is gonna "disappear" overnight.) 🤔😱

5727 E Sprague Ave, Spokane, WA 99212