IGNORED

R1200GS TE ALPINE 2013

Alba

Evening, I'm looking for some insight on a 2013 GS (I don't believe you have the TE designation in the USA I'm UK based) I have read that as the 2013 was a first generation new model  then 2014 would be a better option.

Is there any validity in this?

Thanks in advance.

56 minutes ago, Alba said:

Evening, I'm looking for some insight on a 2013 GS (I don't believe you have the TE designation in the USA I'm UK based) I have read that as the 2013 was a first generation new model  then 2014 would be a better option.

Is there any validity in this?

Thanks in advance.

Evening  Alba

European/UK model years don't always match the USA models, are you looking at a camhead (oil-cooled) or a wethead (water-cooled)? 

32 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  Alba

European/UK model years don't always match the USA models, are you looking at a camhead (oil-cooled) or a wethead (water-cooled)? 

As ever thanks for the reply, in the advertisement it does not state which model, can i tell the difference visually?

13 hours ago, Alba said:

As ever thanks for the reply, in the advertisement it does not state which model, can i tell the difference visually?

Morning Alba

Quick way is to look at what side the muffler is on. Left side is a camhead & right side is wethead. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Alba said:

advertisement it does not state which model, can i tell the difference visually?

If you’ve got pictures this should help you determine which model.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Alba

Quick way is to look at what side the muffler is on. Left side is a camhead & right side is wethead. 

It's a wethead ... exhaust on the right

2 minutes ago, Alba said:

I've read that there could be exhaust issues with the wethead 2013 models, is this a small sample view?  Any tips testing for it?

Afternoon Alba

What are the specifics of the " exhaust issues" that you are referring to.  

18 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Alba

What are the specifics of the " exhaust issues" that you are referring to.  

dirtrider

Specifically " the emissions related flappy valve failing could require the replacement of the whole exhaust system north of the catalyst."

10 minutes ago, Alba said:

dirtrider

Specifically " the emissions related flappy valve failing could require the replacement of the whole exhaust system north of the catalyst."

Afternoon Alba

That exhaust flapper valve is more for noise emission control. Yes, those can & do freeze up sometimes. If you catch them early enough then no big deal to free them up to work good again. Some riders here in the U.S. just wire the valve wide open so it can't stick closed then ride it that way without issues.  

• Like 1