IGNORED

Advice on strange feeling on cornering

RiP

This is hard to explain, but it has me concerned, especially since I am going to be embarking on a 5000 mile trip in about 2 weeks and expect to be doing some hard riding during that time (in terms of temperature and distance that has to be covered) and have very little latitude for downtime while on the road.

When I am riding my 2002 R1150RT in a straight line, everything feels really good. But when I corner (either side, doesn't matter) it feels almost like I am riding on something rough and something is dragging. Kinda.

History: replace the final drive bearings last year (see Stranded in Van Horne Texas). Replace engine, drive and final drive oils this spring before riding season. All were very clean. Just checked the final drive and drive line oils and they are clean still. Have a Dunlop 208 tire on the back and it is squaring off. I am hoping the weird feeling is the difference in the remaining rubber on the side from the center. I have spun both tires while on the center stand and they seem to spin ok. Tried to wiggle both tires to see if it was the wheel bearings, but seem pretty tight.

Can I get some advice on what to check? I took it for a 500km ride on the weekend and it seemed to be ok - never got worse and/or better. I am going to order a new Metzler Z6 (never liked the feel of the Dunlop) for the rear pdq as the Dunlop has about 8,000km on it and I doubt it will make the trip.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Or possibly shocks.

I don't think so. The first signs of failure on the OEM Showas is a) preload that quits working and b) inneffective rebound damping, especially on the rear. He didn't mention either (or maybe he just forgot). smile.gif

John in NC

It's tires. Mine gave me very uneasy feelings with the first set after about 7k miles. Even though I knew it was tires and that I wouldn't fall, it still made me uneasy.

Juan_in_a_million
Have a Dunlop 208 tire on the back and it is squaring off....the Dunlop has about 8,000km on it and I doubt it will make the trip.

Hi, it seems to me that you have a tire caused problem. I have never used on my RT the Dunlop 208 (I believe that tire has a very soft compound for sport riding or road racing). I used a set of 205s and found them very sticky but they wore out in about 3,000 miles.

Of all the different brands of rubber I've used, the one that I'm more satisfied with is Metzeler. I haven't tried Avons but I heard good things about them. Stay away from Contis. I have use two sets of those and with both of them I got blisters in the front tire on hot days with more than 2mm of tread left on the tire.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck! thumbsup.gif

Juan Antonio

Or possibly shocks.

I don't think so. The first signs of failure on the OEM Showas is a) preload that quits working and b) inneffective rebound damping, especially on the rear. He didn't mention either (or maybe he just forgot). smile.gif

Can you explain both of these points and what I would look for to determine if these applied? I am not really dense, but just dense enough not to thoroughly understand this. Possibly in 1 syllable words dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Thanks! By the way - I just ordered a Metzler Z6. Nothing locally (I live in Regina, SK Canada), but got it from a dealer in Winnipeg MN. May try the Diablos Strada once the front wears out.

Thanks to all who have replied - greatly appreciated!! clap.gif

a. You add preload and it still bottoms out or scrapes too much.

b. The bike doesn't quit bouncing quickly enough after going over a bump.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Have a Dunlop 208 tire on the back and it is squaring off. I am hoping the weird feeling is the difference in the remaining rubber on the side from the center.

I believe you've nailed it!

I'd say the problem is worn or improperly inflated tires, the steering head needs to be torqued, or the shock adjustment is incorrect.

a. You add preload and it still bottoms out or scrapes too much.

b. The bike doesn't quit bouncing quickly enough after going over a bump.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ok, I understand this stuff now. I am not experiencing any bottoming out and there is no unnecessary bouncing. Got it - finally. clap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Its the squared of back and possible the rough feeling is from a cupped front.

The square back will really make the bike feel squirrly as you get up on the transition, the diameter change is dramatic and not at all what you are used to feeling. Also, you have a large loss of contact patch right when you need it. If you actually get over further, the bike should go back to feeling normal but you will be in the zero chicken strip zone.

A cupped front can make for that rough road feel. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't accompanied by a bit of howling from the front. Should be felt more in the bars than the seat.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I had a simillar experience with a Dunlop D220. The tread design had lateral sipes spaced evenly on the edges of the tire and it felt like something was grinding in the rear end when I was cornering slowly on smooth surfaces. I must have checked my final drive a million times! I finally scrapped the tire and it went away.

Hey RiP; are you coming down to the unrally? with two of us we'd have them all outnumbered....

Wish I were. We are heading down to Scottsdale for a computer geek conference. thumbsup.gif

My vote goes for the tyres also. I'm getting the same thing - a vague sense of the bike not really knowing what it wants to do as I tip into a corner. Mine are also beginning to square off at the back - not surprising as I've clocked up a little over 15,000 miles on them. Tread's also starting to thin, so it's time to start hunting for a replacement.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned splines, oil type, or battery.

Bob

Battery - has just been replaced - not sure why that would cause the odd feel? Do you mean not strapped down properly.

Oil - grade and/or type?

Splines - this is a sickening feeling in my stomach - how would one go about checking this out? confused.gif

Thanks!

Bob

Battery - has just been replaced - not sure why that would cause the odd feel? Do you mean not strapped down properly.

Oil - grade and/or type?

Splines - this is a sickening feeling in my stomach - how would one go about checking this out? confused.gif

Thanks!

Relax. He's just funning you. tongue.gif

Bob

Oil - grade and/or type?

Thanks!

Relax. He's just funning you. tongue.gif

Whew! clap.gif

I know I had washed the bike to make sure that one side wasn't dirtier than the other and had even measured to make sure that my radar detector was exactly in the middle of the shelf! cool.gif

Guess I will just have to be patient until the tire arrives and get it installed.

Thanks to all who replied, even those who were funnin with me eek.gifthumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Okey dokey. Things are better now. Thanks to all who replied. Got my rear tire reshoed and went for a ride yesterday. BIG BIG clap.gif difference! No more weird feeling, rides nice and quiet. Can hardly wait till I can replace the front. Tires, can't live without them. Sad part of the whole thing is that I bought the Dunlops in a harder compound so to last a bit longer. Didn't. Only got about 8000km (5000 miles) out of them! Usually got better mileage out of the Z4's I ran.

Anyway, off to prepare to head to Scottsdale. Hopefully no emergency pleas for help this year!!! wave.gif

Archived