IGNORED

AMSOIL, Motorcycle White Paper

Acidburn

Almost always, a White Paper from a (truly) independent research organization represents a study while a White Paper from the manufacturer of a product represents a marketing effort.

no doubt amsoil is a great lube, but i have a problem with some of their testing. i use maxima oil http://www.maximausa.com/ in my dirtbike with great results and was curious how maxima faired in the tests. as amsoil is a 100% synthetic oil company they should ONLY test other 100%sythetic oils. it's an apples to oranges test when a blend or conventional oil is used. specifically they chose maxima maxum4 synthetic blend when maxima makes 2 levels of higher grade sythetic only "motorcycle specific" oil. now maxima did very well on the tests given the fact it is a blend. i'm sure amsoil chose their best oil to test but did not choose maxima's best oil to test. why you say? maybe they did test all of maxim's oils and maxima won. don't know but from this point alone i think amsoil slanted their test. marketing! i call BS dude from an emperical standpoint. judging by your method of posting you sound like a distributor. what's your feedback? OR my guess is you won't have a response.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
no doubt amsoil is a great lube, but i have a problem with some of their testing. i use maxima oil http://www.maximausa.com/ in my dirtbike with great results and was curious how maxima faired in the tests. as amsoil is a 100% synthetic oil company they should ONLY test other 100%sythetic oils. it's an apples to oranges test when a blend or conventional oil is used. specifically they chose maxima maxum4 synthetic blend when maxima makes 2 levels of higher grade sythetic only "motorcycle specific" oil. now maxima did very well on the tests given the fact it is a blend. i'm sure amsoil chose their best oil to test but did not choose maxima's best oil to test. why you say? maybe they did test all of maxim's oils and maxima won. don't know but from this point alone i think amsoil slanted their test. marketing! i call BS dude from an emperical standpoint. judging by your method of posting you sound like a distributor. what's your feedback? OR my guess is you won't have a response.

Interesting point. I didn't take the time to read the article, I just glanced over it. IMO all synthetic oils are roughly the same, with exception to additives. At the level of lubrication that newer oils are providing now, it doesn't seem like brand really matters. This is an idea that is probably lost on any corporate executive who's job it is to keep the business alive.

psyctrance

Looks like Belray did reasonable well, it's what I've been using for the last 2 years. Will likely switch to Redline gear oil when I do the maintenance on the trans and FD.

steveknapp

don't know but from this point alone i think amsoil slanted their test. marketing!

In their defense, their test showed many of the other oils outperforming their oils in some catagories.

The final rank was a bit fuzzy as they weighed each test result. All comparsions are. How do you weigh "value" or whatnot.

I wasn't shocked to see that many oils did very well. What was more amazing was how poorly a handful of the oils performed.

Archived