IGNORED

Looking for Info about Moto-friendly camping in Northern Kentucky (around Louisville)

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

So, I'm going to have more time on the weekends this summer than I originally thought. :5150: Long story....

It's about 2.5 hours south down I-65 to the Ohio river (and Kentucky) from my house and I would like to find a campground that is within striking distance from my home in that general direction. The thought is that after work on Friday's, head for the hills (literally), camp Friday night, ride all day Saturday on roads that actually have curves and then head home Sunday morning. I realize weather will always play into this, but a guy has to try and make SOME plans. :)  This is my way of traveling a bit without burning vacation time. 

Thoughts? Anyone know of a place? 

Shawn

How far east is Zanesville from you? I realize you’re asking for a different direction but this area has a good amount of squiggles (555) and a decent amount of campgrounds. :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.d2526f6ad1a9db18205be0bac8023d96.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
21 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

So, I'm going to have more time on the weekends this summer than I originally thought. :5150: Long story....

It's about 2.5 hours south down I-65 to the Ohio river (and Kentucky) from my house and I would like to find a campground that is within striking distance from my home in that general direction. The thought is that after work on Friday's, head for the hills (literally), camp Friday night, ride all day Saturday on roads that actually have curves and then head home Sunday morning. I realize weather will always play into this, but a guy has to try and make SOME plans. :)  This is my way of traveling a bit without burning vacation time. 

Thoughts? Anyone know of a place? 

Shawn

Clifty Falls State Park.  Madison.  Many goods roads.  Easy reach into KY.  We go to Franfort for lunch occasionally, taking the county roads.  Might be a good base camp for the weekend.  Clifty Falls Park is beautiful and the lodge offers meals when you don't feel like camp cooking. 

https://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/clifty-falls-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=IN&parkId=570045

image.png.1e94c942608bbd0c25cca0d2cf760ce2.png

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

How far east is Zanesville from you? I realize you’re asking for a different direction but this area has a good amount of squiggles (555) and a decent amount of campgrounds. :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.d2526f6ad1a9db18205be0bac8023d96.jpeg

Pat, we've ridden this area extensively over the years.  Good call if it wasn't 4-5 hrs from OP's town.

https://www.windy9.com/  https://www.windy9.com/s/RoadRUNNER-Travel-Map-OHIO-Final-Side-B-REV3-5-15-15-hr45.pdf

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
20 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Pat, we've ridden this area extensively over the years.  Good call if it wasn't 4-5 hrs from OP's town.

https://www.windy9.com/  https://www.windy9.com/s/RoadRUNNER-Travel-Map-OHIO-Final-Side-B-REV3-5-15-15-hr45.pdf

Pat, I have definitely been interested in exploring the triple nickel ever since David Baker did his first report on it a lot of years back. It would definitely require at least half a vacation day, but might be worth it for a single visit to that area. 

John, the recommendation for Clifty Falls State Park is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Back in 2002 on the way to the event at Bakers house, Mitch and I stayed in Lexington at a fellow board members house. We found some really nice roads around that area and just west of there. This location would put me in easy striking distance for day rides. Thanks for this!

Shawn

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
12 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Pat, I have definitely been interested in exploring the triple nickel ever since David Baker did his first report on it a lot of years back. It would definitely require at least half a vacation day, but might be worth it for a single visit to that area. 

John, the recommendation for Clifty Falls State Park is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Back in 2002 on the way to the event at Bakers house, Mitch and I stayed in Lexington at a fellow board members house. We found some really nice roads around that area and just west of there. This location would put me in easy striking distance for day rides. Thanks for this!

Shawn

Holy crap! That was 20 years ago and my first initiation in the BMW crew.  As I remember, you and Mitch completely disassembled and rebuilt a motor in the street.  Do I also remember a part falling into a storm drain?  Met a fellow from Jasper, IN at that event, a bail bondsman, who casually mentioned his aunt was selling her house in Indy.  Wound up buying, remodeling and living in it for 18 years. Oh, the memories...

• Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider
24 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Holy crap! That was 20 years ago and my first initiation in the BMW crew.  As I remember, you and Mitch completely disassembled and rebuilt a motor in the street.  Do I also remember a part falling into a storm drain?  

It was just a valve adjustment if I remember correctly. ;) And yes.... I believe we went fishing in a drain for something. I'll be damned if I can remember what though. 

@Joe Frickin' Friday

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
13 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

It was just a valve adjustment if I remember correctly. ;) And yes.... I believe we went fishing in a drain for something. I'll be damned if I can remember what though. 

I think it was a valve cover that came off of someone's bike as we were going to (or maybe from) David's house?

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
Just now, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I think it was a valve cover that came off of someone's bike as we were going to (or maybe from) David's house?

I remember now, it was that strip on the valve cover that covers the spark plug wire. I didn't put it on all the way and it fell in the drain as I rode off. I remember because it has the "4 valve" logo on it and was discontinued and not available anymore. I just had to retrieve it. It was Jakes magnet on a stick that saved the day. :) 

@Jake

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
10 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I remember now, it was that strip on the valve cover that covers the spark plug wire. I didn't put it on all the way and it fell in the drain as I rode off. I remember because it has the "4 valve" logo on it and was discontinued and not available anymore. I just had to retrieve it. It was Jakes magnet on a stick that saved the day. :) 

Sorry, that's what I meant - the black plastic strip, not the aluminum valve cover.  Big difference.  :grin:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...