IGNORED

Holy smokes, Nice catch. Firefighter catches jumper

John Ranalletta

Joe Frickin' Friday

Depending on the source, the jumper was either a man or a woman.  Snopes claims it was a woman, but even if it was a petite woman, that firefighter has ridiculous grip and upper body strength; he and his partner deserved the medals they received for their efforts.

• Like 2

Yeah we do that. ;) :rofl: 

Actually, you can go 27 years without a live rescue or you can go two weeks and get one. The problem with the two week scenario is you’re not academy trained yet (at least how we hire) and you’ll most likely fumble with your gear. Real and recent, new guy (2 weeks) probably would of gotten a certificate for firefighter of the year if he hadn’t fumbled his face piece at an apartment fire. Now he’ll probably have to wait another 27 years. :classic_biggrin:

Don’t think I mentioned this before but this one was my “almost feel good” for the rest of my life call. “Baby come now” call. Yeah sure. As we entered the door all we hear is it’s coming now! Laid the woman on the floor and pulled her stretchy pants down and there be a baby in them! :eek: Anyway, there be two of them but she delivered the other one at the hospital.

Nothing out of the ordinary (yeah it was) but here’s the make or break part of that story. I have an acquaintance couple (friends) that couldn’t have children for whatever reason. Adoption talk for years but too expensive. Anyway, the two packages I helped deliver were you guessed it, going up for adoption. I happened to know the grandmother of these babies and she was kinda in charge of their future IYKWIM.

Idea…
:5147:

So, I ask this couple would you be interested in adopting two local children? Yes Yes Yes! (one big mistake, I only directly asked the female) So, I started negotiations with my Captain’s help, with the grandmother in charge of the children. All I wanted to do was to get this couple to meet her and they could take it wherever it led. A month of back and forth and finally I said to the couple get me a picture of you both so I can at least let grandma see who is interested in her grandchildren. That was it, the grandmother liked what she saw and wanted to meet them! :yes: A meeting was set up and then I get notification within hours that the couple got cold feet on the idea. WTF! Embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, it didn’t happen for whatever reason. But that was my “almost feel good career call”.

Hold no grudges against the couple but a life lesson for sure.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
44 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

but even if it was a petite woman, that firefighter has ridiculous grip and upper body strength; 

Yeah, he’s the guy you don’t limply shake hands with or he’ll crush you! :4617: :4323:

Tewks, much like "Watch this!", if you find yourself saying "Hey, I've got an idea...",   Stop!  That was very good of you to try and match everybody up, too bad it didn't work out. Kind of takes the wind off your sails when that happens.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

So you’re saying, no good deed goes unpunished? :classic_biggrin:

No matter how things work out (i..e you can't control the decisions of other people), ya should ALWAYS do the right thing.   Good deeds ARE rewarded, and that reward starts in the heart.   They change who  you are, and who you'll become.  I gave ya a "+1" for your post, but that's only because the short sighted techie who set up the response icon bar forgot to add "+100!".

👍🍻

PS:  Yeah, with a crappy attitude like that, I'd make an AWFUL D.C. politician ....  😒

• Like 2

Reminds me of our "Natural Childbirth" (Lamaze ??) class some years back.  Had to go each week for 8-10 weeks, something like that.  All were first child cases with about the same due dates.  We got to know each other a little, and the instructor lady suggested we all get back together after several months, have a little party and report on how it went.  Everyone agreed and a date was set.

That day rolled around, we packed up the little darlin and went.  Everyone showed up.  We sat in a big circle on the floor and went around with each couple telling how it went while the little darlins wailed or slept UNTIL we got the the last couple.  They were a very quiet and shy pair and their young'un was too.  We had been told in the class that the first child always took the longest to deliver, PLENTY of time to get to the hospital, DON'T worry and that was pretty much everyones experience.  Except them.  

It was in the afternoon, after school, dad was still at work, and she was in the living room watching TV when she felt a pain and her water broke.  Someone called 911 and she made it to the front porch but no further.  She described the porch as 3 ft by 4 ft, completely screened in and about 4 steps above the short walkway to the street.  Her head was in the house and her feet were on the first step and that's where it all happened.  The baby was well on the way when two firetrucks screeched to a stop in front of the house, full lights and sireens.  That brought all the kids and everyone in the neighborhood running to see what was happening.  She said the Firemen were great and all of them, all the neighbors and kids from blocks around had a really good view.

• Like 1

One more baby story and I’m sorry if I mentioned it before. Back in my ambulance days we got a call for an imminent birth. It was an early March morning about 4:00 am. Cold morning. We roll up on the address and we see a young girl (teen about 17) standing at the end of the driveway. I get out and she’s holding her newborn still attached to her by the umbilical!  :eek:

Come to find out, she hid the pregnancy from her mother! I guess she tried to get herself to the hospital but the baby had other plans. We get them into the ambulance and the baby’s core temp was way low and he wasn’t breathing very well. Clamped sniped and started with some supplemental oxygen. About that time ALS arrived from the local hospital and they took charge of the situation.

Now the newborn was critical and believe it or not I never did a follow up to see if he lived. Too many, you’ve got to drop some of them out of your head. So, about three years later we get a call to the same address for an elderly woman with shortness of breath. This is no bull, I walked up to the door and there’s a little boy standing there staring at me. :classic_ohmy: I recognized the young lady as the mother in the driveway from three years prior. I asked her if he was the boy in the driveway? She knew exactly what I was talking about and said yes he is. :) The kid staring at me over the other guys on scene rocked me. I have no idea what it meant but a good memory for sure.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
11 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Reminds me of our "Natural Childbirth" (Lamaze ??) class some years back. 

So, when my wife was pregnant with my daughter, she asked if I wanted to go to those classes.

I said "why,..... women's been given birth for centuries",....she did have a sorta disappointed look on her face.

Anyway, she said I'd be "spaz'n out" when the time came.  Her mother said I would and my step daughter aligned with them.

The time came, wife grabs me by the arm one Friday morning, I ask calmly, "is it time", she says "I dunno but I'm getting up", I roll back over and tell her to wake me if we gotta go.  However long later, her mother comes in (she was staying with us til the birth) says it's time to go.  The three females (wife, her mother and my stepdaughter) are running around the house.  I calmly go to the kitchen, fix me a bowl of cereal while they keep running around.  There's a calm, then the mom in law comes around the corner and says "we gotta go", I reply, "I'm not finished my cereal yet",......I get a "WTF" look from her, so, I figure, let's go.  I climb into the drivers seat of the cherokee and we begin to drive.  Hospital is only a couple-three miles from the house and I'm actually doing the speed limit, 25.  Wife says, "you can speed up you know", I reply, "ya, we're on base and MPs get happy to pull people over, which will only delay us even more".  We arrive at said hospital, my three women folk still in a heightened state of spazziness, corpsmen come out and roll her in.  This is approx 0500, 30 minutes later, out pops my daughter,....I reply, "I still got time to get to work".

• Haha 3

A spazzy women story. (not my story) My Lt. that just retired was at a kids birthday party when one of them started choking on something. He’s sitting down having a beer when the commotion erupts. Six women running around in a pretty hysterical state. He takes a swig of beer, gets up and walks over to the kid. Picks him up, tips him down and gives him one back blow. Problem solved. He went back, sat down and finished his beer. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

He didn't ask someone to hold his beer?  :dontknow:

It happed in Latvia.  He may have been drinking his beer vodka with a free hand while he made the catch.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

It happed in Latvia.  He may have been drinking his beer vodka with a free hand while he made the catch.

Keep up with the conversation please

• Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Keep up with the conversation please

Whoops, my bad - missed Tewks' context.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

This place is a riot at times.   If we ever all got together in one place, it'd be nuts.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1