IGNORED

Harley-Davidson Sportster S breaks endurance speed record

MotoNews

I am curious as to EXACTLY what speed record they broke?  The HD Sportster S record?  I'll admit that it is an accomplishment to run at high speed for 24 hours but the record they set doesn't seem to be that high.  I feel that a properly supported late model BMW could at least equal this if not completely blow it away.  Am I wrong?

Frank

9 minutes ago, duckbubbles said:

I am curious as to EXACTLY what speed record they broke?  The HD Sportster S record?  I'll admit that it is an accomplishment to run at high speed for 24 hours but the record they set doesn't seem to be that high.  I feel that a properly supported late model BMW could at least equal this if not completely blow it away.  Am I wrong?

Frank

Morning Frank

81 mph average isn't very high for continuous high speed running but probably not too bad considering  figuring 31 pit stops into that average. 

BMW might do better seeing as most have a higher top speed & hold more fuel (fewer pit stops).

''a new set of hoops every 1,000 miles'?  Hoops = tires?  Really?  Just cuz the tires are hot shouldn't require that procedure.  Iron butt folks may want to chime in.  

3 hours ago, Red said:

''a new set of hoops every 1,000 miles'?  Hoops = tires?  Really?  Just cuz the tires are hot shouldn't require that procedure.  Iron butt folks may want to chime in.  

A little more extreme conditions than Iron Butt, maximum speed, maximum corner speeds, oval track, one side scrubbed much harder than the other.

A little over 1900 miles, so one set of tires?

And, safety. Max speed is no time for compromise.