IGNORED

2015+ RT issues?

DR  Major

Thinking of 1200RT 2015-2017.

What are common issues?

For reference, I have a 07 GSA- Gas gauge is not fun, front brake disk warped, ABS went out, & etc.  I like the bike, but the older I get, the taller the GSA gets.  Need to reduce height.

RT is 1st in line and the R1200R next.  My long rides are in 200-300 range.

Just sold my 03 LT.  Really nice bike, but 900# got to be a lot and the GSA is just more fun.  Both bikes have/had 50k+ miles.

Other than the fear of an alternator failure (which hasn’t been a problem) but the average shade tree mechanic cannot handle the repair.

They’ve been near problem free motorcycles.

Well, I bought a 2018 RT last fall (have yet to ride it much 'cause of Idaho white stuff ...).   

We have our own personal biases, fears, preferences, and budgets.  And all BMW years have their issues.

Wetheads: 

Besides the alternator issues, premature rocker arm and camshaft failures:

"NHTSA Bulletin on R1200RT early cam shaft failures"

Regarding your target models:

Transmission upgrade, 2017-2018

"All 2017 liquid-cooled boxer models were fitted with a judder (definition: an instance of rapid and forceful shaking and vibration) damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also included a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts, and transmission shaft bearing. "

https://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm

My rule of thumb is "Don't be first, don't live on the bleeding edge" of technology.  Which translated, for the 2014-2018 series, avoid 2014, for 2019+, avoid 2019, for 2017-2018 (transmission upgrade), pick the 2018.  

And so forth ...

That said, I wouldn't have turned down any Wethead RT, if the price and bike condition were right.  I have a tiny bit of regret I bought the 2018, rather than spending less on an earlier wethead model, possibly significantly less.  But the trade off, i.e. it's still under warranty, condition of the bike, etc.,  makes it still, probably a good decision.

Finally, if you find a true "Premium" model wethead, it'll include all four major, and one minor upgrade packages, meaning (a) you'll have no decisions to make about adding stuff that already comes on the bike, and (b) then ya can start worrying about all that expensive technology failing in bits and pieces.  🙄  (I say "true Premium", because 2/3's of the cycletrader advertisements that claimed they were offering "Premium" model RT's, were actually RT's with only one or  two of those packages added.  Unless you check the factory sticker, to see what codes were included on the bike, the buyer can't know for sure.     (If that becomes an issue for you, I've got a post out there that explains how to figure this out by VIN - message me and I'll find it, no time right now).

Good luck with the search.

55 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Can't go wrong with a Camhead RT!!        (2010-2013)

Lightest and best of the oil/air cooled RT's 

.... and yet another one of those dang, biased Camhead owners!  🙄🤣🤣

A little wet coolant never hurt a motorcycle, ya know?

• Smile 1

2015-2017 are target due to budget... really 2015/16 are closer.

However, if there are certain common issues, it might swing the vote.'

When I bought the 03 LT,  the 03 was the choice as the 2000-02 had know issues that the 03 did not.

Also, I think there was a chassis change in 2015(there was on the R) which gives a  little more room.???

If not, then earlier might work also.

I do not like NEW AND IMPROVED years.  That means the buyer has to do the needed quality control for BMW.  1st year for water cooled- no thanks. 

Mort tech is not desirous.   Just more to go wrong.  I have been in the tech industry for 32 years..... finally told main factory(Belgium) to not show me anything that has not been on the market for at least a year.

• Plus 1 1

Silly me.. I have a 2014 RT wet that has been perfect except for batteries. Mine was #8 in the US.   The Bluetooth connectivity and the stock seat suck but everything else is just right for me. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a well cared for 2014

Im on this board a lot and I haven’t seen any big trend of 2014 issues. Keep in mind the engine came out in 2013 on the GS

• Like 2

I switched back to Yuasa batteries.  The "fancy" Odyssey were the worst.  I like the Yasa in that it seems to let me know when it is getting old.  I also keep on Battery Tender.

Anybody know if the RT chassis was changed in the 2014+?  I'm a 6'4 guy- size 14 boot.  On the R1200R, the 2015 has more room.

6 hours ago, DR Major said:

2015-2017 are target due to budget... really 2015/16 are closer.

However, if there are certain common issues, it might swing the vote.'

When I bought the 03 LT,  the 03 was the choice as the 2000-02 had know issues that the 03 did not.

Also, I think there was a chassis change in 2015(there was on the R) which gives a  little more room.???

If not, then earlier might work also.

I do not like NEW AND IMPROVED years.  That means the buyer has to do the needed quality control for BMW.  1st year for water cooled- no thanks. 

Mort tech is not desirous.   Just more to go wrong.  I have been in the tech industry for 32 years..... finally told main factory(Belgium) to not show me anything that has not been on the market for at least a year.

I agree with you just about down the line.

And as one professional (now retired) techie, hmmm, are you sure we aren't brothers?   (Well, we've certainly been through the same "latest and greatest" hell.) 😏

As far as Skywagon's early, "risky" 2014 purchase, all I got for him is new-bike-envy, even if it's seven years after the fact.  👍😁  (I mean, someone's gotta work out the bugs for the rest of us.  What would we do without troopers like Skywagon, donating his pint, quart, or maybe gallon of "early adapters" blood!  🤣🤣🤣)

Any wethead will do ya fine, and if you can find/afford a lower mile one, one owner, good service history, garaged(!), so much the better.

At 6'2", the RT seems to fit me well.  However, others have added bar adapters (bar backs?) and peg lowering kits, which might work well for you.

The folks that were coming off the last of the dry clutch boxers complained about shifting not as slick on the '15/'16 Wetheads.  I jumped from a '99 Oilhead  to a '15 Waterhead and found it shifts just fine even if not quite best in class shifting.  I never missed a manual shift, finding neutral is good but sometimes I've hunted between 2&1 a few times. If you get a '15/'16 with shift assist, it will really shift slickly up and down between gears  2-6, I find the 1>2 and 2>1 is best done manually.  Not sure how well the '07 GSA shifted, so your reference point on this matters whether it is a problem for you or not. 

The Waterhead is a very different bike from the evolutionary track from the airhead through the last of the dry clutch bikes.  Personally, I find riding the Waterhead better in every way, not as quirky as my oilhead, plenty of get up and go with sharp handling makes it a legitimate sport touring bike. My wife still prefers riding on the '99RT with the Russell saddle being part of it, but also the quietness and relaxed feel VS the more performance oriented '15RT.   I liken the difference  between my '99 and '15 RTs is the '99 is a gentleman in a tuxedo and the '15 is a rouge in a tuxedo.  I like the rouge best because we have more fun on boys night out!

• Haha 1