IGNORED

Wheel Repair Option

Geekmaster

Recently @Boxflyer noted during 12k service on my 2014 R1200RT that my front wheel had a dent in the rim.  He recommended MCWheel in Arizona and Woody’s in Colorado.  On Google Maps, it showed that MCWheel was out of business, although I didn’t call to confirm -- anyone know if they're still in business?  Anyway, I found another well-reputed shop - Frame Straight Systems in Oak Ridge, TN (http://www.framestraightsystem.com).  It’s not a fancy web site, but gives the information you need. Rohn Jon answered my calls immediately and his services seemed competent and reasonably priced, so I sent my wheel to him in late December.

They were very busy, but I received my wheel back today (so, about 6 weeks turnaround).  When I talked to him, he said the T.I.R. (Total indicated runout) after the repair was only at .002 in. (or .005 in. - my memory fails me).  Anyway, the wheel looks good, and there was no discoloring of the finish.  

Anyway, just wanted to share a good option in case anyone else needs wheel repairs.

I've had great luck with these guys. Didn't this ding was repairable. Wheel is now very functional with the tiniest bit of runout on a spin balance machine. He wants the discs removed and 180 cash (at least a year ago). Drop off in the morning, pick up in a few hours. Touch up is done with a rattle can, but good color match. If your are a perfectionist, they need to be resprayed. This would be a great choice if you're local to AZ. If you have to ship, Woody's in Denver is the gold standard for all things wheel.  I had a M/C wheel and a Boxster wheel straightened there...defects now undetectable.

Fast Track

Address: 3343 N Reseda, Mesa, AZ 85215

Phone: (480) 649-1093

ECE39FEB-9396-4DF0-93E9-4BF34619DF49_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ecbc58f39358f8001b7b66460fd1391c.jpeg

Good timing on this post as I texted the Oak Ridge shop today about my rim that I* dented on the way to FART and they said they'd respond tomorrow.  6 weeks is a long time though and I need it for Start so better not procrastinate any longer than I already have.  Thanks for posting the recommendation.

IMG_9586.jpg.2b6c072e0e1afdad59d36451c09735ec.jpg

For the record, about any shop that straightens automotive wheels can do bike wheels. Like anything, some are going to be better than others. Last one I was involved in was a front wheel on a V Strom my Son rode. Turned out as good as new. 

The cost to repair can add up (the bearing my need to be pulled) plus you may want the wheel power-coated again.  A buddy of mine looked worse of then yours, he end-up up making an insurance claim.  

21 hours ago, DaveCinNO said:

Good timing on this post as I texted the Oak Ridge shop today about my rim that I* dented on the way to FART and they said they'd respond tomorrow.  6 weeks is a long time though and I need it for Start so better not procrastinate any longer than I already have.  Thanks for posting the recommendation.

IMG_9586.jpg.2b6c072e0e1afdad59d36451c09735ec.jpg

@DaveCinNO, your wheel looks a bit worse than mine was, but I think they could fix it.  For point of reference, mine cost $250, which included the repair and return shipping. Frame Straight seems to charge a fairly constant rate, saying that they sometimes lose money on extreme repairs (see bottom of http://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle Wheel Repair Pictures.htm) .  Also, I think that they may expedite service for an extra fee. As TEWKS said, you could try Woody's to see how fast they could do it. Their prices are probably close.

I still have snow and below freezing temps, so I could live with 6 weeks.  They may be faster now, since my delay was partially caused by the holiday break.