IGNORED

Are my cam lobes being scored ?

MachineJoe

While doing my cam alignment I noticed what seems to be scoring on the lobes.

Am I correct? Running a sharp blade across it I don’t feel any grooves at all.

What do you guys think?

This is my 12k service, the dealer did the initial oil change and I did the 6k and 12k oil change with filters every time.

78883DA3-ACDF-46C0-9724-8FACD3AB9854.jpeg

D66E597D-7835-4DD2-9F89-51C850F97E3F.jpeg

Joe,

I'm not a fluids expert by any stretch of the imagination...but

I think that those are smears of some of the additives in the oil we use, like all the additives listed on a Blackstones report.

I noticed these same marks on my 2016RT every time I opened up the valve covers...and that must have been 50 times over the course of the 78k miles I had it.  No grooves or other damage to the lobes.

Just my guess.

1-5.png

2 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

While doing my cam alignment I noticed what seems to be scoring on the lobes.

Am I correct? Running a sharp blade across it I don’t feel any grooves at all.

What do you guys think?

This is my 12k service, the dealer did the initial oil change and I did the 6k and 12k oil change with filters every time.

Afternoon  MachineJoe

I pretty well agree with Boxflyer on this as they don't look that  bad, especially if you can't feel it with a fingernail (difficult to tell from internet pictures). 

If it were my bike I would probably pick the worst one then remove the corresponding rocker arm to see if it has a matching wear pattern, if so then a more thorough investigation, if the rocker arm looks pristine then no worry & move on.   

Can't say for sure, but the fingernail test sounds like a good one to me.  I'd think it'd be something more than just visibly noticeable.   (Can he put a caliper to it, to measure the wear?)   

Not sure how to remove a rocker arm, or the level of effort involved, honestly.

I really just wanted to say that your damn title was enough to give half the RT Wethead owners a heart attack.😲  Thanks for the virtual workout. 😏

They look just like mine at 42K. They pass the fingernail test. I also place a straightedge across the tip of the lobe and shine a LED flashlight from behind...no light leakage detectable. After having two sets of cams and followers replaced for wear issues, I always hold my breath a bit when removing the head covers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Paul De said:

I'll be doing a clearance inspection in a few weeks,  Not sure if I can get my wife to feel my lobes for smoothness though.

Oomox.jpg.6c3138fc5575c2838a69ad946a8f9077.jpg

Brunt.  FCA!