IGNORED

Side case went flying

WhoolyBully

I rode a railroad crossing a bit exuberantly and watched my left side case go sailing off. It stopped just off the pavement and I was able to safely retrieve it and remount it. The latch showed a bit of damage. Oddly, this is not the side case that got knocked off a couple years ago when a friend rear ended me. I have order a pair of 3/16" diameter Ring-Grip Quick-Release Pins. I am going to drill the lower mounts and pin them. I have done this on my Concours 14 for which sailing cases is a well known issue.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

that's a pretty quick response for a nearly year old thread :)

I happened to have a photo on my PC. I try to photodocument everything I do to my 4 bikes, otherwise I tend to forget. KRS Syndrome. I was a bit surprised that nobody commented when I made the original post.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, lather said:

SideCasePinned.jpg

That is so amazingly simple.  But it's simple enough to forget it was done and when you wanna pull the side cases off, get frustrated because they aren't lifting off easily until you realize, "duh, I put a pin in so it wouldn't fly off",.....do a look around to ensure nobody saw you, thus you don't loose cool points for the frustration ;)

I like the idea

• Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

That is so amazingly simple.  But it's simple enough to forget it was done and when you wanna pull the side cases off, get frustrated because they aren't lifting off easily until you realize, "duh, I put a pin in so it wouldn't fly off",.....do a look around to ensure nobody saw you, thus you don't loose cool points for the frustration ;)

I like the idea

You could hook one of those brightly colored springy coils of cord/line to each one - like the kind that come with disc locks. One for each bag, one for your disc lock, another for that little puck to put under your sidestand when you park... pretty soon your bike would look like it got caught in a neon spiderweb!

It is a really nice, simple idea though - pretty cheap too! (so perfect for your average bmw owner)

• Smile 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, pwillikers said:

Wait?  So it is the detent ball bearing that retains the pin?  The hole is drilled with precision?

Yup....and it works on Ducati as well:java:

12 hours ago, pwillikers said:

Wait?  So it is the detent ball bearing that retains the pin?  The hole is drilled with precision?

As much pecision as this clumbsy old guy can manage. The hole is drilled with the appropriate size drill bit, in my case 3/16". It is a snug fit. I first did this  this on my 08 Concours 14 after many reports of wayward cases as well  videos of the cases being easily popped off by hand. After a 100,000 miles or so the holes became enlarged from wear and the pins were no longer snug. It was then necessary to secure the pins with a zip tie. I don't know if this will be an issue with the RT cases as they seem to have a better latching mechanism and a tighter mounting fit than the Concours. The first gen C14 actually had a case latch factory recall but it  did not fully solve the problem.

14 hours ago, pwillikers said:

I find that’s generally the best way to drill a hole. Especially on a motorcycle ;)

• Smile 1
  • 1 month later...