IGNORED

FIT-

DR  Major

I presently ride an 07 GSA.  It runs great- Ohlins are wonderful.  Shortening them is not a great option.

The older I get, the taller it gets!!! 

So thinking of a RT or R.  I sat on a newer R and was amazed that it fit pretty well.  The older R was small.  I have been told the chassis was changed some in 2015??

Did the RT chassis also change?  I had a 1150RT.  Liked it but a little small for my 6'3, 300# + wife.

Wife seldom rides now.

I would appreciate some input on the RT or R chassis sizes/fit.  Long rides are never more than 200 miles or so.

Ride year round, except late July/August.--TOO HOT.

I think the 2015 R1200R was the first year that model came as a Waterhead, which would have a different chassis than the 2014.  Not sure of all the dimensions but in general it seems with every major change to the boxer they become bigger.  The ‘15 R looks like it has a 1/2 inch longer wheelbase than the ‘14R which isn’t a lot but suggests a roomer saddle as well over the previous year.

2014 and later RT versus Oilheads.  My 2005 1150RT was taller than my 2014 RT with the standard seat.  I'm only 5'11" and personally find them both a little cramped.  The 1150 more so than the 2014 wet RT.  It's not bad.  I added footpegs that give me another couple of inches and an aftermarket saddle that raises overall sitting height.

I don't ride as often as I would like to but when I do I ride a pretty good distance in a day.  A typical day ride for me is 250-500+ miles. The one thing that still bugs me is the reach to the handle bars.  There is an after market mod that helps.  My sleeve link is 33-34.  

There are likely plenty of used wetheads at your nearest dealer. Go sit on one for while...take an extended demo.  Even though I find the ergonomics a bit tight, most folks don't have an issue with it and IMHO the ergonomics on the wetheads are better than the oilheads.