IGNORED

Non-MC battery issue PSA

Skywagon

WBW6COS has a thread going about a coil issue. In his research he found his battery swollen and heated. It reminded me of something I thought I would share

My PSA. Our house has a central panel that houses the cable, the cat 5 distribution, the burglar alarms and it’s battery back up. The battery is very similar to our bike batteries. It’s on one of those little transformers that keeps it charged. It’s not a smart charger so current always flowing

I went into the cabinet a few months ago to check the battery to insure it was good. It was 2 years old. It was red hot, swollen, and oozing some sort of gel. Big mess. Had I not checked it, who knows maybe a fire at some point

The PSA is check your burglar alarm battery if you have one. It could require Tewks to show up if left unchecked

These little batteries can overheat, swell, and leak. I’ve had 2 do that now; different brands and applications.

UPS systems with batteries are the main cause of fire in data centers and network closets.

At one point they were being installed under work stations in the hospitals to help condition and protect the very expensive PC's. The fire Marshall came thru and said absolutely not in the nurse stations in the main hallways, only allowed in offices with doors that could be closed in case of fire. They see the same thing all the time 

Golly, glad I could help.  :thumbsup:

I may be in the minority around my area, but every time I get fuel in the automobile (I rarely drive it- fueling about every other month) I raise the hood to look at everything.  Usually, the terminals on the battery start getting yucky and I end up having to clean them and lube 'em up.