IGNORED

2011 r1200rt: headlights

Don McFerran

Re: this RT that I am fixing. Everything is repaired from crash by PO, now I am fixing the things that were probably wrong before the crash.  Low beams do not work. Hi beam works. Some work has been done to fix this I think, there is some sloppy taping on wires leading to plug into headlamp assembly.  I have 12 volts at the plug, but it doesn't get to the bulb.  Some aftermarket lithium bulbs were installed, I have replaced them with standard bulbs as per specs, no change.

I rarely ride after dark, so this would be ok, but I like things to work as intended.  Electric wiring is not my strongest skill, so any hints would be great. Is this a thing that happens?

looks like I posted about this before, sorry for the repeat.  I have wiring diagrams, and I probably need to spend more time figuring them out.

15 hours ago, Don McFerran said:

Re: this RT that I am fixing. Everything is repaired from crash by PO, now I am fixing the things that were probably wrong before the crash.  Low beams do not work. Hi beam works. Some work has been done to fix this I think, there is some sloppy taping on wires leading to plug into headlamp assembly.  I have 12 volts at the plug, but it doesn't get to the bulb.  Some aftermarket lithium bulbs were installed, I have replaced them with standard bulbs as per specs, no change.

I rarely ride after dark, so this would be ok, but I like things to work as intended.  Electric wiring is not my strongest skill, so any hints would be great. Is this a thing that happens?

Morning  Don 

In a lot of cases it is the low (ground) side going to the bulb that fails. 

Test for 12v between the 2 headlight connector terminals (not to a remote ground).

If it tests out OK then  test for 12v between the 2 headlight connector terminals (not to a remote ground) WITH THE HEADLIGHT CONNECTOR PLUGGED INTO THE BULB. Possibly the bulb load is causing the ZFE computer to shut the bulb  circuit down.