IGNORED

Spline Check Problem?

Randyjaco

3 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Nope this picture 

Nope. Bought the bike in December of 2016 the photos are from 2017.  

In my first post I asked " I see it a 2016, when was the 6000 mile check done? " you didn't respond to my question you just stated "it was a Starbucks special".  That's a lot of rust in a short time, seems the check needs to be done at the 600 mile service.  I'm going to be checking my 2022 R1250RT

Thanks fellas for all the responses.  I am gonna open it up and check the FD myself while it is still under warranty.  The videos, I bought were the JVB vids I have used in the past, not BoxFlier.  Sorry about that….

I’ll report back with what I find…

When I inspected my rear drive and rear u-joint of the drive shaft at my 6K service, it had rusted together splines. This means the splines from the drive shaft and the rear drive unit where rusted together, preventing any movement. The rear u-joint is designed to slide back and forth on the input splines of the rear drive unit. The bike is a 2018 R1200RT-LC, it doesn’t get washed using a pressure washer or a garden hose. And yes I live in NE FL, but I don’t ride my bike in the ocean or store it on the beach or outdoors.

Your dealer is correct, that the worries of worn out splines may very well a thing of the past. But rusted together splines on a system that is designed to slide/move is a negative thing. It will affect your handling and suspension. 

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1
Slumgullion

ChrisK helped me do mine yesterday. Not as bad as yours so all's good and ready to make the calls on what constitutes a water crossing!!!!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1

I hope you can make it to the WetHead/ShiftHead TechDay as I demonstrate 12k maintenance items that are called for by the BMW Service Sheet and what things are optional for these bikes. 
Lots of options and discussion on these items that are up to you to decide if you want to do them or not. 
My opinion is not the final word, but some discussion and having done well over 100 of the 12k services may help guide your plan of maintaining your bike. 

• Like 1