IGNORED

R1100R and a 6' body

Blusideupp

Blusideupp

I'm looking at a 1999 R1100R in very good shape. I test drove it yesterday and felt a bit cramped on it. The airflow over the windshield was hitting me right in the face. I'm 6' and weigh 180lbs. I recently sold an RT, and this bike feels so much smaller. Can anyone of similar size shed any light on this for me? Thanks.

David

Did you check that the seat was in the highest position? I also had the airflow hit me right in the face with the stock windshield. Added a Laminar Lip and problem was virtually eliminated. Don't know which year RT you had , but Haynes manual says R1100R wheelbase is 1487 mm and R1100RT wheelbase is 1485 mm. The highest seat height on R is 800 mm and on RT is 820 mm.

Slightly off topic, but if you buy the bike, add GS handguards and you probably won't need heated grips.

I have a '98. I am 6 foot also. I really like the bike, but I find that it is uncomfortable if you are talking about interstate travel. You're right, the wind hits you right above the shield. I have tried gently bending the w/shield mounts and have added spacers trying to get the shield more upright and get the airflow to go over me. No luck so far. This bike is great for the commute and a fun drive through the twistys. Even the shifter does not have enough travel to adjust to my tall motorcycle boots. I have to hook the edge of my boots on the shifter. I am in the process of making a heel shifter, none is offered commercially. I have driven 5k miles since December and it is fun. Now has 25k miles total and runs great after a lot of the mods and maintenance I learned from this site (thanks to all). John S Boise

Paul Mihalka

R1100R (and R1150R) bikes in stock form fit smaller persons better than bigger persons. Some solutions, some cost money: As said, make sure seat is in the highest position of three (free). Next seat step is a custom higher seat ($$$). There are all kind of after-market windshields available, you can choose the height ($$). If you are not a agressive curve carver, footpeg lowering kits will get you more legroom ($$). If you fit the bike to you, it will be a excellent light handling long distance tourer. I did all this for me with a R1150R.

Blusideupp

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to think about this one. I have a nice touring bike, and was just looking for an around town machine. I guess with enough money, you can make just about anything work.

Could you post back on the heel-toe shifter thing? It's the one thing I miss when I moved from my R100 to my 1100.

Thanks!

Shawnee Bill

I am 6', a little heavy, 63 years old, I recently returned from Torrey to Oklahoma City in 20 hours (1185 miles) on my R1100R, no sore anything, basically almost an easy ride. That is the 4th over 1,000 mile day I have done on this bike.

What surprised me is when I saw a picture taken with me sitting on the bike, my legs are bent much more than it seems they are. However on long rides I can just lay my legs on the jugs like highway pegs, not real comfortable but allows me to stretch them for a few minutes.

The windshield is a question, I have never talked to a R1100/1150R rider that was completely happy with any windshield. I have a Parabellum "Sport Shield", the wind hits about the top of my helmet.

Paul Mihalka
The windshield is a question, I have never talked to a R1100/1150R rider that was completely happy with any windshield.
On my R1150R I have the Parabellum Scout.

By being careful in ordering the height and playing a bit with the angle of the shield, I am really happy with the shield. No buffeting, most bugs just go to the top of the helmet.

Peter_Doege

I have a 96 R11R. 6'2". I had leg cramps with the Sargent seat that it came with and procured a R. Mayer seat. I have been on several 8 hour trips since then with no cramping.

I lower my head at speeds above 85. There is a sweet spot where the airflow over the screen balances my weight and where I get very little turbulence.

Peter

Archived