IGNORED

Powering ZUMO XT on RTW via BMW NAV6 harness?

Scott9999

I'm just planning this install now.  I found a thread over on BMWLT.com where someone (probably on their camhead RT) used a "BMW repair cable" to connect and power  ZUMO XT to the bike.   I could tap power for the ZUMO cable from the forward aux socket, which will remain off when the bike is off.  However, I prefer the install to run as close to OEM as reasonably possible, including not changing cables or cutting into the OEM harness.  Not sure if the camhead example would apply to the wethead NAV6.

So, my question:  Has anyone used a BMW cable to power devices (e.g. GPS, ZUMO XT) from the same source as the NAV6?  I thought I had that answer bookmarked previously, but I can't find anything specific.

For reference:

The Nav6 mount on the R 11200RT WetHead has 2 plugs behind the dash board. 

If you can fit the XT into the cavity for the Nav6, you could power it and mount it in the same place.

I don't know which connectors they are, but one of them looks like the connector that I used on the Hexhead to power my Zumo 590.

I used the repair cable/plug from BMW.

Do keep one thing in mind, the WetHead turns off the GPS a few seconds after you turn off the bike, unless you tell it to use the internal battery.

7 hours ago, Bernie said:

The Nav6 mount on the R 11200RT WetHead has 2 plugs behind the dash board. 

If you can fit the XT into the cavity for the Nav6, you could power it and mount it in the same place.

I don't know which connectors they are, but one of them looks like the connector that I used on the Hexhead to power my Zumo 590.

I used the repair cable/plug from BMW.

Do keep one thing in mind, the WetHead turns off the GPS a few seconds after you turn off the bike, unless you tell it to use the internal battery.

Good point.  I wanted to ensure the GPS would turn off with the bike, so that it doesn't drain the battery.  Well, if I stop to play with the GPS on the way, I may or may not be able to use the unit (to set new directions) standing by the side of the road.  I haven't had it out of the box since my Christmas trip in the car, so I'm not sure of the functionality, off power.   As far as the connection to the NAV6 power source, I guess I'll just have to wait until I've received my splice connectors from the online source next week, and tear down the dash, look underneath, and figure it out.  The guy on the bmwlt forum (link in original post) who had his connected using the repair cable, and who's battery was running down, hasn't gotten back to me.  He may have chosen the wrong connector of the two you believe are available.

I'm gonna have to tear down the front end tupperware and windscreen eventually, and then I'll know for myself.  I just wanted to have all the parts I need on hand, and know what the heck I'm doing before I touch a screw.   (Lol, I'm mounting crash bars now, and had an "oops" event, which I'll document in a review post when I'm done with that.  I'm waiting on "oops fixers" right now, to finish that task and put the bike back together.  I don't want to be tearing down too many things a once on the RT.   My garage (now grown son and myself) has a great reputation for talent in pulling things apart.  Putting them back together, ahh, not so much.  🙄😖)

The two plugs for the NAV6 are different in size and would be hard to mix up. If you use the instructions posted in the Cyclops LED bulb replacement, you will have everything you need to get to the location of the plugs.

RT Headlight removal

8 hours ago, Bernie said:

The two plugs for the NAV6 are different in size and would be hard to mix up. If you use the instructions posted in the Cyclops LED bulb replacement, you will have everything you need to get to the location of the plugs.

RT Headlight removal

Hmm, thanks for that tip.  Regarding the PDF in that thread, after a quick review, EASY PROCEDURE, no problems.  In summary:  RT Headlight requires service, sell said bike. (And no, I'm not even laughing!)

When I cut power to my engine, my Nav6 will initiate a shut-down timer, and give me ~30 seconds to decide if I want to keep it running on its internal battery.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jodellus said:

I found an adapter that you can attach the Zumo XT to the built-in BMW mount that works great.   Posted a video on YouTube

Welcome to the forum, jodellus.   Thanks for the tip.

On one hand, the $67 price is a bargain, compared to the hassle and time it takes to craft an alternative (as I've mentioned earlier in this thread).  On the other hand ....

.... the $33.35 shipping kinda makes ya wanna choke, before committing.  I was kind of hoping that this company might have their products on Amazon or Ebay, or somewhere with a cheaper shipping price.  I picked up an $200 helmet from Spain with zero $$ shipping costs.   I guess I'm kind of spoiled.

So, it's a $100.00 purchase.  Will think about this option.   Thanks.

I was surprised how quickly it shipped from Italy.  It arrived in 4 days after ordering.   Like I said in my video, the Garmin XT fit perfectly in the BMW mount and powers up and shuts down with the bike power.   Note that is also works on my 2015 BMW R1200GS factory mount and locking mechanism of the BMW GS Nav mount.   I have a couple other bikes with the older Garmin mount and harness that I can just pop it out and move to those bikes and I installed the Garmin XT harness and mount on a CSC RX3 250.   I've never had a GPS as bright at the Garmin XT, you can see it in direct sunlight.  

John O.

Thomson, GA

2015 BMW R1200RT

2015 BMW R1200GS

2002 BMW R1150RT

2002 BMW R1150RTP (Over 100K miles)

1999 BMW R1200C (Restored Salvage Bike)

1998 BMW R1200C (Restored Salvage Bike)

2018 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (Wife's Bike)

2014 Suzuki S40 (Wife's Bike)

2012 Kymco Yager 200i Scooter (Wife's Bike)

2007 Triumph America

2004 Triumph America

1974 Yamaha DT120A

1975 Hodaka Super Combat Wombat

OK...I know 13 bikes...I might have a problem....

23 hours ago, jodellus said:

I found an adapter that you can attach the Zumo XT to the built-in BMW mount that works great.   Posted a video on YouTube

Any chance you could post a link for this adapter?  

14 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

Any chance you could post a link for this adapter?  

So sorry, it's top secret, only club members can have this info, and  ....

... you're just not in that club.  🙃😁

Actually, it's in his youtube video, which I'll repeat here:

Adapter to fit Garmin Zumo XT to BMW R1200RTW without running any wires or cabling.

3D Motorrad Adapter Link: https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.it/prod...

Installation Video: https://youtu.be/dslCivHvtJ8

41 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

So sorry, it's top secret, only club members can have this info, and  ....

... you're just not in that club.  🙃😁

Actually, it's in his youtube video, which I'll repeat here:

Adapter to fit Garmin Zumo XT to BMW R1200RTW without running any wires or cabling.

3D Motorrad Adapter Link: https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.it/prod...

Installation Video: https://youtu.be/dslCivHvtJ8

Thanks Scott. I watched the video twice and still did not see the link.  Old eyes, I guess!

4 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

Thanks Scott. I watched the video twice and still did not see the link.  Old eyes, I guess!

It's in the notes section, above the comments, under the title and youtube author's name, across from the "Subscribe" button (which is to the right side of the screen).  There's also a "show more" link that opens up the entire window, and includes what I posted here.  It's a "youtube" thingy, lol.  Not old eyes, just "old", and technically out of touch, like a whole lot of us.  🤣

(By the way, if you don't click on the youtube button in the lower right side of the video to open up a new browser/youtube window, and instead choose to watch it inside this bmwrt.com window, you won't seen any of the above.  The link's aren't IN the video, but in the youtube window.)

3 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

It's in the notes section, above the comments, under the title and youtube author's name, across from the "Subscribe" button (which is to the right side of the screen).  There's also a "show more" link that opens up the entire window, and includes what I posted here.  It's a "youtube" thingy, lol.  Not old eyes, just "old", and technically out of touch, like a whole lot of us.  🤣

(By the way, if you don't click on the youtube button in the lower right side of the video to open up a new browser/youtube window, and instead choose to watch it inside this bmwrt.com window, you won't seen any of the above.  The link's aren't IN the video, but in the youtube window.)

That ‘splains it!  Learned something today already.

I just received this adapter today after ordering it online on Wed night.  Hard to believe it can come from Italy in 4 days.  The adapter works great too!!

• Like 1

Just sent my third NAV VI to Garmin today. The company in Italy also makes adapters for the GS and K1600.  When Garmin stops sending me free replacements I would definitely go this route. 

• Like 1

Most likely Randy. Also a lot of people prefer using their phone and phone apps for navigation. So BMW and other manufacturers have decided that the consumer should use their phones and they will provide a interface with the bike. 
But now everyone wants a dedicated GPS unit??????

2 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

I just received this adapter today after ordering it online on Wed night.  Hard to believe it can come from Italy in 4 days.  The adapter works great too!!

Ditto.  Shipped fast.  Cost $35 to ship a $65 part.    Looks pretty slick.  I'm kind of confused about the third party installation video, it's as clear as mud IMHO. (Guess it could be worse; I could have been in Italian. )  It's sitting on my kitchen counter until I have a chance to play with the bike again.  (Gotta get this winter house projects done, so I can move onto my Spring projects. 🙄 I "project" kinda slow ...)

Anyhow, hope you do a find review of your experience with the product, so that I don't have to.  🤣🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...

The 3D Mottorad Adapter is the ticket. It got here very fast (4 or 5 days), took 5 min to install, and looks OE aside from the small loop of wire that hangs down. It seems well made and comes with the correct hardware. 

Does anyone know if this company has an adapter that would get my Nav IV mount to accept a Zumo 590? 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8e011183f20c957fe70816da490d813.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.faf6d04580c66cbf8c71fbd2b0a58d87.jpeg

edit.. Looking at their web page there’s one that’s out of stock. Can’t open that particular link for a description but it’s probably the one I need. :classic_mellow:

• 7 months later...

Just checked the 3D website. I don't speak Italian, but it appears they are no longer charging the $35 shipping (PayPal price today $61, which is just the Euro conversion). Can anyone confirm?

I used the adapter for a month no issues and worked fine.

I went to the TourTech locking XT mount and used the BMW repair plug to plug it into the stock wiring.

I love the set up but it came at a price to say the least.  200 bucks for the mount!  But what a secure and nice looking mount.  I hated spending on it and removing my stock GPS prep but IMHO it is the way to go. 

You can buy a new XT for 399.00 looking around and then the mount is another 200.00 and the plug I forget but for less then a Nav VI you can have a much better(IMHO) mount and GPS for around 600 bucks.  After my 4th Nav IV I gave up. 

The XT is a very nice unit and am not sorry I spent the money on it or the mount.

3 hours ago, Brunhilde said:

I just sent off third Nav VI (2 years). If this one craps I plan to go with the XT.

Just reviewing this thread (since I started it way back when). and regarding the Italian made 3D XR-RT adapter product that @jodellus was kind enough to turn us all on to, there is one drawback.  It's not with the adapter as much as the entire BMW cradle landscape configuration. 

As @Randyjaco mentioned over on the bmwlt.com forum, GPS units, both smartphone-hosted and Garmin, seem to have been designed for a portrait orientation.   Both Garmin and Google have loaded the screen with labels top and bottom that obscure most of the screen (in some cases with Google maps, the ENTIRE road map is obscured!) in landscape mode.  In portrait mode, there is room for those labels, and you can see much more of the roadmap ahead.   In fact, I had so many problems with Google's GPS maps, that when I inadvertently left my sandbag-thingy I used to hold either the phone or Zumo XT behind on a trip, I replaced it with a RAM ball mount on my car's dash, and bought a second Garmin adapter for the Zumo to use with the RAM ball that comes in the Zumo kit.  Just snap off the bike's Garmin adapter (connected to the Motorrad E-NAV XT RT), and snap on the auto's Garmin/ball mount adapter, to mount the Zumo in the car.  I can swivel either unit into portrait or landscape viewing, and portrait works best for both units.

All of which is to say, though I'll still be mounting the Zumo in BMW's cradle, because "it's there already", I'll eventually add a handle bar mount, and attach the cell phone to it to view Google maps in Portrait mode.

This thread has been interesting to follow; especially the Nav VI failures. What happens to it?

I have a Nav 5 I bought new when I bought the bike February 2014. It’s never giving me trouble. It’s hard to see in the sun but no issues. 

The issues with the NAV6 seem to be related to the display, when working is awesome.   But what happens is something called "ghosting" whereby the NAV takes on a life of its own and will change screens, jump around, stop navigating and not respond to any touch inputs.  It's like someone is making changes to the screens / displays when you are just riding along.   Sometimes you can correct it by paging through with the wheel or wiping the screen with a glove of cloth,  other times there is nothing that will correct the issue.  Removing it from the cradle and removing and replacing the battery usually fixes it for a short time or until the next ride.   But once the ghosting occurs you can pretty much guarantee it will happen again.  I am on replacement #4 in just about 4 years of ownership.  The NAV5's were rock solid. 

Rubbing the screen with a microfiber cloth has been very effective in curing the ghosting for a little while. I think the screen is sensitive to oils from the skin and gloves. 
I am on number 6 in Four years and I don’t think there is a fix for this problem, regardless of what Garmin says or claims. 

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Rubbing the screen with a microfiber cloth has been very effective in curing the ghosting for a little while. I think the screen is sensitive to oils from the skin and gloves. 
I am on number 6 in Four years and I don’t think there is a fix for this problem, regardless of what Garmin says or claims. 

Agree on both counts.  The screen wiping helps sometimes and I believe Garmin has no plan to develop a REAL fix for this.  

Thanks for explanation Ed.  I was curious.  I have seen a few for sale that are dirt cheap.  Now I know why.  My V has given me no trouble.

16 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks for explanation Ed.  I was curious.  I have seen a few for sale that are dirt cheap.  Now I know why.  My V has given me no trouble.

I still have a Nav 5 in my car from 2015 and it has never given me an issue.  The Nav 5 was solid the 6 is great when it works.

Garmin is wonderful to deal with and exchange with but I hit my limit on 4 replacements.   I run a GS so my mount option was easy, remove Nav Prep install new mount.  The RT the adapter works and for the money gets you out of the Nav 6.   The BMW repair plug will get you power in the OEM spot so it is a clean install for power.

I do wonder how long Garmin is going to keep sending them out?

• Like 2