IGNORED

Any yardworkers do this

Rougarou

Chip Drop

We signed up for it, so, no telling when a drop will happen.

We've looked at the overall concerns and are willing to accept a bit of yuck if we get it.  I have a tractor and woods behind me to dump any yuck,.....or just burn it.  We have plenty of space that we'd like to cover, (7-10k sqft at my place and about the same at my daughters place (slopes that suck to cut)),......and well, free is free and pinestraw gets a wee bit expensive.

Just checking if anyone has signed up for this gig.

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

We've looked at the overall concerns and are willing to accept a bit of yuck if we get it.  I have a tractor and woods behind me to dump any yuck,.....or just burn it. 

What kind of yuck might show up in chipped tree branches?  Excessive succulent material (i.e. fresh green leaves), or are we talking about dead raccoons stuck in hollowed-out trunks that were fed into the chipper?

My ex-neighbor used to get chipped wood loads from the city as for free seemed like a deal to not pass.  Chips didn't last as long as they were a mix of hard and soft wood and chips were at times smallish and quickly decomposed.  The down side ultimate showed up in all manner of noxious weeds like Canadian Thistle and worse yet the dreaded European Buckthorn that is dang near impossible to get rid of once it takes hold and is pretty invasive.  If you live in a region that has Japanese Kudzu running rampant, I would not risk the free stuff within a block of my place.  That neighbor now buys his chips knowing you get what you pay for.

We haven’t used that service, but we used to - for our small urban yard - get a load of chips from a local company every couple of years. A load for them was usually small compared to what you’d want/need - about 6 yards (a pile the size of a sedan or small station wagon). We could usually spread about 2/3-3/4 of that around our yard, and then I’d stick a “free chips” sign in the remaining pile and our neighbors would clear the rest in a day or two. 

One year - early in spring when it was still frosty in the mornings - the load was almost all chipped apple branches and there were quite a few apples in it. For the week between when it arrived and when I spread it we had a great smell of baking apples outside our kitchen windows - nice side benefit :)

25 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

What kind of yuck might show up in chipped tree branches?  Excessive succulent material (i.e. fresh green leaves), or are we talking about dead raccoons stuck in hollowed-out trunks that were fed into the chipper?

Ye must peruse the website

15 minutes ago, Paul De said:

My ex-neighbor used to get chipped wood loads from the city as for free seemed like a deal to not pass.  Chips didn't last as long as they were a mix of hard and soft wood and chips were at times smallish and quickly decomposed.  The down side ultimate showed up in all manner of noxious weeds like Canadian Thistle and worse yet the dreaded European Buckthorn that is dang near impossible to get rid of once it takes hold and is pretty invasive.  If you live in a region that has Japanese Kudzu running rampant, I would not risk the free stuff within a block of my place.  That neighbor now buys his chips knowing you get what you pay for.

Kudzu,....down south,......c'mon man,......nope, we don't have that down here at all, not at all (sarcasm).

7 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

We haven’t used that service, but we used to - for our small urban yard - get a load of chips from a local company every couple of years. A load for them was usually small compared to what you’d want/need - about 6 yards (a pile the size of a sedan or small station wagon). We could usually spread about 2/3-3/4 of that around our yard, and then I’d stick a “free chips” sign in the remaining pile and our neighbors would clear the rest in a day or two. 

One year - early in spring when it was still frosty in the mornings - the load was almost all chipped apple branches and there were quite a few apples in it. For the week between when it arrived and when I spread it we had a great smell of baking apples outside our kitchen windows - nice side benefit :)

thanks much, getting a review from an interweb acquaintance chip delivery vice the website makes a difference. We have plenty of space that could use a good covering, not just the two I stated above, but those are the main two areas I'm not liking spending $5 per bale on pine straw.

Could work out.  I still would worry if the trees they are grinding up also bring some disease with it.  If it is placed in a not too critical area maybe, but it would be a shame if you inadvertently introduced something that made your large irreplaceable trees or shrubs sick. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Ye must peruse the website

Thanks; they're comically honest about what they're offering.  :grin:  I suppose several yards of clean chips delivered on a specific schedule gets expensive, so for some folks this might be an attractive option.

33 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Could work out.  I still would worry if the trees they are grinding up also bring some disease with it.  If it is placed in a not too critical area maybe, but it would be a shame if you inadvertently introduced something that made your large irreplaceable trees or shrubs sick. 

Trees and shrubs are replaceable,.....just takes time ;)

If some "issues" come, we'll cross those weeds/diseases when/if they do.  We keep gallons of 2-4d and glyphosate and imidacloprid.  I also stocked Prodiamine and MSMA-6, as well as some Crossbow, also have other disease and bug stuff i can't recall the names of,......we gots the chemicals.

16 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Thanks; they're comically honest about what they're offering.  :grin:  I suppose several yards of clean chips delivered on a specific schedule gets expensive, so for some folks this might be an attractive option.

Over 300000 sqft ain't cheep to take care of,....so if it can come free with minimal defects, I'm in.

• Like 1