IGNORED

2022 Travel Hopes & Dreams

From NE Pennsylvania here and I tend to be the initiator and planner of trips for my group - of mostly HD riders who are often hard pressed to cross the state border... probably a statute of limitations thing.  In any event, new to owing a BMW (2020RT) but not new to sport touring.  I did do the obligatory intro in the new members sections.  First and foremost, I am always up for a new day adventure, usually with just a little heads up but for that kind of riding I am a fair weather rider.  On a multi-day trip it may be inevitable and I'm ok if a passing shower pops up but I try not to head into it.  I'm getting older and wrinkly enough.   Now on to 2022

Spring - as soon as temps are at least solidly in the 60's I am looking to do a long weekend ride up to Cape Cod area.  I figure it will be a first real test run on the new steed.

Summer - Border's dependent, I want to push up through Niagara Falls, on to Toronto and wander about a bit.  An area I am not familiar with on bike - input solicited and welcomed.  That requires a passport and a VAX Card I believe - it may require some rapid tests as well and like I said, if that is too much of a hassle, I expect I'll point south/west, as in through and over the West Virginia Mountains down to Kentucky, parts unknown.

Late Fall - This was a recent epiphany and one that I am going to have to figure out if it's as interesting after I research it, as I think it might be.  Ride /Trailer down to Virginia in early November, load up on auto train, get off in Florida and ride down to Key West. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Pocono,

If you decide to push south/west I may be up for joining you, only if you are looking for company. Not shoe horning in.

I'm not going to deal with the hassle at the border. I usually head up there to fish a few times.

I am heading to the Unrally in June and have been toying with the idea after a day or two heading over to Kentucky and the Bourbon areas.

Grew up Northeast PA now in South Central. Have a place in the Pocono's though. Maybe we can catch up sometime for a day ride

I did the Auto train to Florida. great fun but make sure you spend the cash and get a dedicated sleeper berth. We went from Orlando to the Keys in one day. The only thing I did not like was the seven mile bridge. It was easier coming back but gut wrenching going down the first time. I hate long and especially, high bridges

Tracer,

I put this out there as I thought it might pique the interest of some.  It would be great to catch up on a day ride sometime to see how our riding styles sync.  I tend to over plan a trip before I leave to make sure that I cover as many details as necessary, so that once the trip starts I can go on autopilot and enjoy the ride.  I really wish I could do the UN but its on a non-movable work week for me.  Otherwise, that would have been about perfect to head there after. I remark every time I head out on a trip, that I almost have to ride a full day to get to parts unfamiliar.  I think we are on the same wavelength with Kentucky though.  I can also be a bit of a Clark Griswold tourist... as in "Hey kids, its the Grand Canyon... (15 sec pause)... ok back in the car."   Which I always say with some irony because its one of the spots on this earth that I could actually see over and over again and its always awe inspiring.  But I think you get my drift...

Years ago, 5 of use were heading up North to Lake George for Americade and a system moved in that week that would end up bringing daily torrential downpours... Everyone else wanted to scrub the entire trip but I had the time off and I said the weather looked good, Southwest... they were like what's there?  I said besides the West Virginia Mountains and possibly parkway... dunno... they all bailed and I went on what turned out to be an inaugural short solo trip, that I tend to make annually ever since... I told my wife halfway through the trip how amazing it was.. I could go where I wanted, eat where I wanted and stop and look at shiny things on the side of the road if I wanted..  It was pretty relaxing... I did a  1200 mile loop over 4 days and returned.  I really enjoy the company of other riders and of course the safety in numbers that brings... Occasionally, wifey makes the shorter hops too - but I ultimately found riding, any kind of riding is better than work!    

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

You may want to check out START and FART. These events are in the spring and fall and are always located in the Appalachian Mountains.

Lots of good riding in that area and like minded folks, some even ride int he rain. LOL