IGNORED

R1200ST wheel balance… too many weights?

Rockreid

I took my R1200ST wheels in for a balance and the front needed a total of 30 (grams I guess?) all lined up on one side. This does look like something is off as the rear didn’t need any weight s.  I’m worried that the wheel is bent or something although there doesn’t appear to be any damage. I’m just wondering if this a normal range of required wheel weights.

4 minutes ago, Rockreid said:

I took my R1200ST wheels in for a balance and the front needed a total of 30 (grams I guess?) all lined up on one side. This does look like something is off as the rear didn’t need any weight s.  I’m worried that the wheel is bent or something although there doesn’t appear to be any damage. I’m just wondering if this a normal range of required wheel weights.

Evening Rockreid

80 grams (just under 3 ounces) is the max allowed in the BMW service manual. 

The weights should not all be on the same side of the rim,  should be split evenly as possible on both sides. 

When I find a tire/wheel that far out of balance I usually rotate the tire  180° on the rim. If the weight needed to balance  changes or moves to a different spot then it's mostly a tire issue, if the weight & weight position stays about the same then it is a wheel (rim) issue. 

• Plus 1 1