IGNORED

another oil discussion

Rube

I am going to change the final drive and transmission fluids this winter. (among other things) Other than what is recommended in the manual, what brand and weight are you using? and why?

Thanks - Rube

2011 R1200 RT

5 hours ago, Rube said:

I am going to change the final drive and transmission fluids this winter. (among other things) Other than what is recommended in the manual, what brand and weight are you using? and why?

Thanks - Rube

2011 R1200 RT

I always use the red, slippery stuff that comes in a plastic bottle.

Remember when you asked your first innocent oil question. I do. Got a few snipes and some appreciated help

Rube… I use the BMW Hypoid gear oil. It cost about $12 for a quart. A quart will work for several gear oil changes. It might be possible to save a buck or two on something else but if the folks who made the bike recommend it and it isn’t crazy expensive; it’s what I use. From memory it holds  180 ML. Go to a beauty supply and get a plastic bottle with a nozzle and quantity markings on the bottle for about  $2.00. Easy to add without spillage. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, Rube said:

Thanks - Rube

2011 R1200 RT

Morning Rube

Engine oil & gear oil has been bashed around on this (and other)  motorcycle web sites for many many years now. 

To some it is a personal thing based on either advertising hype or based on past experience with that oil type or brand. To others it is based on what they choose to believe from online postings. 

My personal take is like David posted, I pretty well use the BMW branded gear oil for the final drive as it has worked good with no added leakage or drive failures. More than likely about any up-level gear oil the MEETS BMW specs will work as long as it doesn't contain limited slip additives (nothing that says LS on the bottle). It takes such a small amount of gear oil in the final drive at each change that the BMW gear oil (fully vetted by BMW durability testing) only adds a small amount of money to the oil change.  

Now on the transmission, that is a different story. It seems that about every BMW 1200 hexhead or camhead can be slightly different on what works best in the transmission. Most internal bearings are sealed so as long as the gear oil selected has the proper GL rating & no LS additives it will work OK. 

You need to pick a good up-level gear oil that meets BMW specs  (no LS)  then try it as far as shifting goes. Do not base your evaluation on freshly installed gear oil as most all work good for a while when new. You need to base your evaluation on how it shifts at 3000-4000 miles on the gear oil as that is when the oil shearing starts to effect it. 

Be careful in reading on-line transmission gear oil praises unless it was written at the 3000 miles or above point in it's usage range.  

In any case, I have tried many transmission gear oils & Mobil 1 has probably been the best performer (for me) across the most motorcycles that it has been tried in. But that doesn't mean it will work the best in your motorcycle, but it might be a decent starting point.  Or, if you are happy with how it is shifting now then just use what is presently in that motorcycle now.  

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I used Lucas oil sythetic 75w-90 gear oil when I did the transmission oil in the fall. It has been fine so far, but I definitely don't have several thousand miles on it like dirtrider suggests, so maybe take that with a grain of salt. I don't think it had limited slip additives, at least I don't see that it says so on the bottle. But now I will begin a period of second guessing myself.

Edited by atericel
  • 5 weeks later...

I found the bottle of leftover Lucas Oil stuff that I used, and it turns out that it did have limited slip additive. Whoops. I'd only taken 1 ride of about 200 miles with that in the transmission so hopefully no damage done (I doubt there was). I changed the oil again before a recent long trip, this time using Motul 300 75w 90. I'm happy with it. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2022 at 4:49 PM, Rube said:

Other than what is recommended in the manual, what brand and weight are you using? and why?

First of all, nothing is "recommended" in the manual.  It is in fact "specified," which means BMW says use that. (Specs not brands)  It isn't about your choice as far as they are concerned.  It's not a "suggestion."

It seems easier for Americans to understand that there are different formulas for antifreeze and less easy for them to understand that there are several formulas for gear oils too.

For your Camhead (and Hexhead)  rear drive, BMW has a formula specification ... and its a formula you cannot find at a typical 'mericun auto parts dime store.  You can find it at a Land Rover dealer or at your BMW dealer.  The formula is called SAF-XO and that is a (former) Castrol name for its very long life (actually lifetime) fluid.  It's not the same as everyday gear oil and it's the fluid your rear drive was designed to use.

More information regarding gear oil formulas ... another fairly unusual formula is produced for limited slip differentials.  It is less slippery than normal to ensure proper clutch grip in these differentials.  It has no place anywhere in a BMW motorcycle.  Good luck finding anything but limited slip Castrol at your dime store.

• 4 weeks later...