IGNORED

Nav 6 connectivity using USB 3 to USB C hub

BamaJohn

I hate to start another GPS post, and could quickly get over my head with this, but......

My Nav 6 connects with my PC via direct plug-in to USB-3 port and works fine.

It also connected to my old MacBook Pro via direct plug-in to USB-3 port and worked fine.  But.....

My new MacBook Air only has a USB-C port, requiring an adapter cable or hub.  My GPS will NOT connect to my MacBook Air via the USB hub.

I "chatted" today with Garmin and they just said (paraphrased) the the Nav 6 doesn't play well with USB hubs.

So, does anyone know of a USB hub that will transfer both power AND data, so that the Nav 6 will connect?

Thanks in advance for any info....jb

But, do they allow the Nav VI to connect?   I can use one for my GS-911, but it will not connect my Nav VI to my Dell XPS 13, which only has type-C ports.

• Thanks 1

Just an FYI - I use a couple of different usb-c to usb adapters to connect my Nav 6 to my MacBook Air, and they work fine.  One being Apples product. 

• Thanks 1

I guess some are power ports and others transfer data only.  I will have to get a few more to see.  I am on Windows OS, so I got that going for me, which is nice.  :whistle:

Thanks Ron.   There is hope for you John.  

2 hours ago, Ron-M said:

Just an FYI - I use a couple of different usb-c to usb adapters to connect my Nav 6 to my MacBook Air, and they work fine.  One being Apples product. 

Thanks Ron.  I've not used an Apple brand adapter cable, but see they are available.  Their description threw me off, by saying that the cable might not work with some devices.   

Like William, I also have a windows-based pc, so this Apple issue is not a huge issue...but I would like to be able to use my small MacBook Air at time with my Nav 6, so will keep on trying to get it remedied.

John I found this on the Garmin Support site.

ISSUE RESOLVED!!

Just thought I’d follow up and post that my problem has been resolved.  Garmin Support was helpful and lead me to work with Apple for a solution.  Apple online support wasn’t able to help me, so I decided to schedule a person to person appointment with my local Apple Store Genius Bar. Appears that Garmin Support was correct that the issue is related to the fact that the newer Mac computers with the M1 chip isn't compatible with all Garmin devices.
With laptop and GPS unit in hand at the Apple Store, we tried different types of cables and adapters, and none of the Apple adapters worked but the SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter (2021-09) worked just fine. It was pretty expensive ($64.95), but I can use it for all of my interface needs with my new MB Air.  Apparently they have some cheaper models on their website as well.

satechi.net/.../multi-port-hubs

FOUND A SOLUTION!  This is verified to work on my late model MacBook Air.  The Nav 6 connects as it should to the laptop, Garmin Express, and Garmin Basecamp.

There may be other hubs that work, But this is the one I know works for me.    

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-VANMASS-Compatible-MacBook-Thunderbolt/dp/B07GSWXJC9/ref=sr_1_36?crid=3RPF3W84LO545&keywords=vanmass+modelaraz24+usb+to+c+hub&qid=1643749805&sprefix=vanmass+modelaraz24+usb+to+c+hub%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-36

7157dKTPNvL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

As luck would have it, I finally got my Nav VI to connect to my Dell XPS.  Previously, I tried a C-type to USB adapter (the one that came with the laptop) and I never connected.   I tried different cords with different dongles/adapters and some would charge the battery and others would show (in the pic below) data transfer.  This time around, I was patient enough to leave it connected and the laptop finally recognized it.  I waited about 5 minutes, or so. 

Now I have to wait for the 2 hour map update.  :ohboy:  Still good news as this laptop will be my ART traveling IT gear.   Sweeeet.

20220206_111618-1.jpg

• Like 2

I have a high end HP laptop. Works the same way. Hook it up, wait 5 minutes, and the Nav V will be recognized. Then you can see it’s drive and memory stick. I clean out past tracking on it all the time. I like my Garmin devices but dont understand why they cheap out on memory. These devices should have at least 1tb

• Like 1

A little off-topic, but I received my 5th Nav 6 (warranty) Saturday.  Guess I'll stay with the Nav 6 so long as Garmin keeps replacing them....

This one connects to my MacBook Air, using the new hub, so that part is ok.

Um, John - it is your thread and the subject is related.  No harm done.   :grin:

But, allow me to post about my Nav VI:  it is the same one I have owned since I bought it new in Feb 2019.  Bernie showed me the super secret, high technical method of fixing the issues with my Nav VI, which I have had happen a few times.   So far, so good.

OK, I'll take a stab at Bernie's "super secret, highly technical" fix:  Take the Nav6 on a 400 mile day ride, in hopes that the thing will give up and act right.....right?  :4617:

• Haha 2

Maybe a long ride would also help, John. But what I have good success with is to take a clean microfiber rag and give the screen a good polish or rub down.

It has worked for me a few times. Not sure why, but it has helped in the past.

Maybe I have some stuff on my gloves that builds up on the screen or maybe it just likes a little love?

• Like 1

He let his secret be known.  One time he subbed his sweatshirt for the microfiber towel.  :grin:. He has the magic touch for nav devices.   Just sayin'

• Like 1
On 2/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, BamaJohn said:

FOUND A SOLUTION!  This is verified to work on my late model MacBook Air.  The Nav 6 connects as it should to the laptop, Garmin Express, and Garmin Basecamp.

There may be other hubs that work, But this is the one I know works for me.    

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-VANMASS-Compatible-MacBook-Thunderbolt/dp/B07GSWXJC9/ref=sr_1_36?crid=3RPF3W84LO545&keywords=vanmass+modelaraz24+usb+to+c+hub&qid=1643749805&sprefix=vanmass+modelaraz24+usb+to+c+hub%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-36

7157dKTPNvL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Back to the topic.

This one might work with the Nav6 and Windows machines.  I use it to transfer files from the camera's Micro SD cards to a portable 1TB SSD with my cell phone providinng the power for the SSD and file management, so it handles data and power.  $22.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RV1ZCWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1