IGNORED

Lowrider S & ST

TEWKS

I really have no need for either but, the ST with a chopped tour pack (Hosstage please explain) ;) would make for a pretty badass light  touring  um (D. Taylor help me out ) bike. :classic_biggrin:

I just wish Harley would spread the colors around a bit more in the Softails.

I want to see one up close, it weighs 721 ready to ride, but it will likely not be in dealers till April or May; the one  dealer I asked did not expect it before then.  Audio will add another $995 to the price.

I had held out hope for the R18B but it was the most amazing let down I have ever seen in a product so I am leaning towards a Harley again or perhaps see if Indian puts the 108 in a Chieftain

• Like 1

The audio would be nice to have but honestly, the last few years my phone and a Sena com system has taken care of all my motorcycle entertainment needs.

• Like 1

The chopped tour pak, form over function. Owners complained that the very functional tour pack looked too blocky (it easily holds two full face helmets), HD had seen customizers chop them, HD followed suit. I believe they will hold a half helmet.

The ST looks of the old FXRT, a highly derided bike when it debuted, now the darling of the old Harley world. Old FXRT fairings are selling for $3000, they used to be removed and tossed in the bin.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TracerBullet said:

The S is a bada** ride. I have a 21.  The ST is a cruiser trying to be a bagger

You mean like an RT? Well, maybe not a cruiser, but a sporty machine working as a tourer.

The audio feature is a bit odd. Apparently the only control over it is via your phone. Going to have to wait until install instructions are online to verify but there doesn't appear to be any visible controls.

As much as I appreciate this new ST, if I were to go for another HD, it’d be all in with a new Ultra Limited. In this color. ;)
Bad picture. Midnight Crimson/Vivid Black on Black.
2022-Harley-Davidson-Touring-Motorcycle-

• Like 1

I am really curious what they plan to do for their 120th Anniversary which is next year. Going to hold out hope that the reason the CVO line did not get any upgrades is that they finally have decided to replace that decade old, if not older, touring frame.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

I am really curious what they plan to do for their 120th Anniversary which is next year. Going to hold out hope that the reason the CVO line did not get any upgrades is that they finally have decided to replace that decade old, if not older, touring frame.

:3:  That's funny! Next you'll be telling me that they're going to put a proper suspension on them. You kids and your dreams, it's what keeps us adults entertained.

• Smile 1

They have a app for that. :classic_biggrin: Not sure if it’s standard on their bagger S model or it’s an option. (Bagger S) may not be the official name of the model I’m referring to. :dontknow:

image.jpeg.9585e6a94dcd571a318a8775fbddcde3.jpeg

edit…

Bagger ST is the name. I assume they are running with the success of the “Battle of the Bagger Race Series” which is cool.

harley-davidson-goes-king-of-the-baggers

Seems to me that when I first got on this site that any time H.D was mentioned it was followed by a 4 letter word. [crap]  Seems as though a lot of those minds have changed.
BTW  I have always liked Harley's

It’s a motorcycle, what’s not to love? :dontknow: 

Oh yeah I know, the lick and stick tattooed jackass poser tough guy that thinks a hundred miles is a hard days work. :spittake: 
I’ve had so few problems with the three I’ve owned that reliability doesn’t enter my mind. Different tool, if used as intended they are quite enjoyable. My two cents. And, I’m not offended by Harley bashing, it sometimes can be fun.

My buddy Jim does a skit on the business types and their spouses that fly out to Sturgis and rent tight leather chaps. Fall down laughing I tell ya! :classic_biggrin:

Who doesn't love a brash and loud ass Harley just ripping it up when they have no business doing what they do, wheelies, smokey burnouts, and pretty damn fast when set up?

I can tell you that it doesn't take twenty minutes to remove panels to get to the air cleaner and struggle to replace it, then repair the broken fasteners and another half hour to reinstall panels. It also doesn't take child hands and an hour of patience to replace the headlight.

Having said that, BMWs are fine bikes. HDs are fine, and look good doing it.....

:4907:

I have also seen all too often the poser rider, they are pretty funny to watch. Can't tell you how many times I've asked them if they have checked their tires and pressure recently. Yes, the dealer did it last year when he did the 5000 mile service. Of course the bike is now 4 years old, so, you know, a lot of miles!

Guys who never wash them, to guys who will not ride without it being sparkly clean, actually waiting while they wipe it down between legs of the day trip. (I don't wait long)

It's quite a group, us HD riders.

Long post, quick story: one of us calls out 5 Minutes! when it is time to hit the bathroom, get your gear on, and ride. I yell 5 Minutes, a new guy says good, I've got time for one more beer, I tell him no, we leave in 5 Minutes. Doesn't believe me, buys his beer, takes a swig, and the bikes start firing up. He says, oh, you were serious! Now he and his wife (in fashionably torn jeans, sandles and tight t-shirt, I was ok with that part) are scrambling to get loaded and catch up. It's pretty fun to watch.

• Haha 2

We had a bathroom guy. Break, gas, snack and another ten minutes. Let’s go! :yes: Oh, I’ve got to go to the bathroom again. :mad:

• Thinking 1
6 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

We had a bathroom guy. Break, gas, snack and another ten minutes. Let’s go! :yes: Oh, I’ve got to go to the bathroom again. :mad:

You're not the only one that has that guy.

• Haha 1

I was hoping to see a completely new HD built around the new revolution engine and not another typical HD with a few upgrades. I like the Pan American and think it was a great step in the right direction for Harley to attract a new generation of buyers but it appears Harley is failing to build off the momentum the Pan Am generated. A completely new HD sport tourer that doesn't look like the typical HD using the revolution engine, full fairing, usable panniers, 6+ gallon fuel tank, 150 hp and all the bells and whistles would get my attention and would possibly be my first Harley.

1 hour ago, Calugo said:

A completely new HD sport tourer that doesn't look like the typical HD using the revolution engine, full fairing, usable panniers, 6+ gallon fuel tank, 150 hp and all the bells and whistles would get my attention and would possibly be my first Harley.

That would certainly stir things up a bit. Maybe next season. :dontknow:

• Plus 1 1

They just keep doubling down on more of the same. I am sure the faithful love this shit, but what about new customers? BMW outsold HD last year too. Who would have thought that? They option and accessorize things that should be standard, especially for that money. 

13 hours ago, Ponch said:

They just keep doubling down on more of the same. I am sure the faithful love this shit, but what about new customers? BMW outsold HD last year too. Who would have thought that? They option and accessorize things that should be standard, especially for that money. 

BMW makes up a lot sales in small bikes and even has their limited scooter line up so trying to compare sales numbers is not going to be the best metric.

What is telling is Harley made inroads with their Pan American for Adventure Touring while its generally accepted BMW effort to break into the heavy cruiser market fell flat on its face. When your entry level models have 3k cash off and .09 finance rates together  its pretty damning. My local dealer has both of his Transcontinental's and B models that I saw on site last fall. He even has 2021 R18s in crates. BMW really pushed it hard and I bet oversold it to dealers as the next big seller. Now you see examples of demo bikes going for almost 10k off.  Not bad for a bike with 300-700 miles on it. He had one pre-ordered and delivered Transcontinental. 

Cycle World recently compared the Street Glide Special, Chieftain Limited, and R18B, and the only redeeming quality for the BMW was fit and finish. If Indian's fit and finish wasn't so poor the BMW would have been a solid third place. Lousy motor, heavy until you over 45mph, and their large screen solution is UI and connectivity hell.  I never liked how I lost my button for heated grips on the RT but apparently they managed to get worse.

Harley is going to make further inroads as the Revolution Max models come out but their big problem is the are damn slow about it and they need them now to have more bikes to sell in Europe.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 7:02 AM, fourteenfour said:

BMW makes up a lot sales in small bikes and even has their limited scooter line up so trying to compare sales numbers is not going to be the best metric.

What is telling is Harley made inroads with their Pan American for Adventure Touring while its generally accepted BMW effort to break into the heavy cruiser market fell flat on its face. When your entry level models have 3k cash off and .09 finance rates together  its pretty damning. My local dealer has both of his Transcontinental's and B models that I saw on site last fall. He even has 2021 R18s in crates. BMW really pushed it hard and I bet oversold it to dealers as the next big seller. Now you see examples of demo bikes going for almost 10k off.  Not bad for a bike with 300-700 miles on it. He had one pre-ordered and delivered Transcontinental. 

Cycle World recently compared the Street Glide Special, Chieftain Limited, and R18B, and the only redeeming quality for the BMW was fit and finish. If Indian's fit and finish wasn't so poor the BMW would have been a solid third place. Lousy motor, heavy until you over 45mph, and their large screen solution is UI and connectivity hell.  I never liked how I lost my button for heated grips on the RT but apparently they managed to get worse.

Harley is going to make further inroads as the Revolution Max models come out but their big problem is the are damn slow about it and they need them now to have more bikes to sell in Europe.

I haven't ridden the R18 and I probably won't. I think they're barking up the wrong tree and needed to hit a grand slam and didn't, not to mention falling over HD SM influencers who wouldn't change brands/accept something else. Foolish.  I did ride the PA, and while it was a very good first try, it wasn't for me. The ergos just didn't work for me and neither did the lack of wind protection, but that's just me. For the average ADV rider, it'll be fine. If they ever make a ST based on the rev max engine, I'll take another look. 

• Like 2