IGNORED

It’s a steamy 241 Kelvin

Paul De

Got up this morning just before dawn and checked the temperature.  It was off the scale! Best guess is -26F.   Thinking if I use the Kelvin scale to make it seem not too cold

4AE6D095-30A6-405F-906E-7260AB225C57.thumb.jpeg.af5f963df1321c50adb940d31b52d47d.jpeg

Ya, when I watch the Raney's working with nothing more than what I'd call light jackets in sub temps,......I think, damn, that be cold and you ain't properly dressed for it

It's going from -15°F to 25° today, a 40 degree swing, going to be a heatwave! If I had time, I would break out the bike for a quick ride. Seriously, 25° is going to feel really nice.

I need to move out of this god forsaken state.

It's been in a relatively mild cycle up here in Northern Idaho for the past three weeks, between the high 30's during the day, down in the 20's at night.  At least there hasn't been snow since December, when we got a full, heaping helping of it.   It seems like the first "midwestern" type of winter here.  Usually, snow comes in 3 inch cycles, and melts off before the next.   This year, it's been cold enough since December to keep snow on the ground 45+ days.   The 10 day forecast has that 3" snow cycle returning this weekend, but whether it's 3", 6", or just rain, well, it's the Northwest and ya never know for sure, what'll happen next.

I feel for you folks in the MN, WI, and MI regions.   Sub-zero is rare here, and -25F is darn cold.   However, 35F here near the lake can feel pretty cold, too, because of the moisture.   I was taking my wife to work at 4:30AM the other day, and she commented on how warm 25F felt.  I laughed and told her, "yes, honey, that's because it's so cold all the moisture is sitting on the of the lake in the form of ice". 🤣🤣🤣

I've been sick with COVID symptoms for going on two weeks, and it makes the dreary weather (cold, fog, wet, dirty white stuff on the ground,  blahhh!), that much worse.  It sucks being sick, but it seems 5x worse being sick in winter.

Hang in there, y'all.  Tis but a brief season, and we're all back in the sunshine before ya know it!

23 hours ago, Paul De said:

Got up this morning just before dawn and checked the temperature.  It was off the scale! Best guess is -26F.   Thinking if I use the Kelvin scale to make it seem not too cold

4AE6D095-30A6-405F-906E-7260AB225C57.thumb.jpeg.af5f963df1321c50adb940d31b52d47d.jpeg

Looks more like -36° c to me. 
Not much difference to my SoCal skin. 

Low temps are all over the scale (°f) here....

74F61EA3-0997-464F-8F7B-784C3B138942.png

46 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Looks more like -36° c to me. 
Not much difference to my SoCal skin. 

Low temps are all over the scale (°f) here....

74F61EA3-0997-464F-8F7B-784C3B138942.png

Haha, I've been thrown off by the printing on the scale of that thermometer too.The longest line defines the number over it, but the eye does want to associate the middle length line with the number.  The giveaway on how to read the scale is to look at the lowest long line is -30C which is equal to -22F.  The lowest temp in these parts was indeed -36F but that was in the wee hours when we were snuggled under a down quilt fast asleep.  Even the dog has a blanket he dragged to his bed to get tucked in.

Anyway was 265.5 Kelvins this morning which was a +46F improvement in a 24 hour period!  We're having what feels like a heatwave today!!!

Last weekend I saw what I thought was a guy on a dogsled, but then realized he would have had to have a team of Yorkshire Terriers pulling it because I couldn't see any dogs

snowdog.jpg.ef910bfbcfc6de3a1725e8ed3fd52261.jpg

Pretty cool for getting about for ice fishing and logging fallen trees in tightly wooded areas.  But at 1/2 the price of a decent snowmobile it seems a little too pricey to buy new.  Besides, my ongoing plan now that the Northwoods is home base for us is by the time you can drive a car on the lake, we're off on a mid winter getaway to warmer climes.  Spring, Summer & Fall are really quite nice in these parts, but winter can get to be a drag.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Haha, I've been thrown off by the printing on the scale of that thermometer too.The longest line defines the number over it, but the eye does want to associate the middle length line with the number.  The giveaway on how to read the scale is to look at the lowest long line is -30C which is equal to -22F.  The lowest temp in these parts was indeed -36F but that was in the wee hours when we were snuggled under a down quilt fast asleep.  Even the dog has a blanket he dragged to his bed to get tucked in.

Anyway was 265.5 Kelvins this morning which was a +46F improvement in a 24 hour period!  We're having what feels like a heatwave today!!!

I used 0°c/32°f as my point of reference & (still). come up with -36°c(ish). 
WAY too cold. 

And yet our adaptability is incredible. Our mind and our body (e.g., thick skin) adjust to these temperatures (to a point). Windchill was below 0 yesterday but I tried to do a few things that needed being done outdoors and gave up on it. Hands were burning and couldn't do the tasks with gloves on. Today is a balmy 28 and I will be comfortable outside taking care of business. When it starts getting cold in the Fall to say 50, playing golf and riding is a struggle. But if it was 50 right now, I would feel so good outside that I would take a nice long pleasant walk. Go figure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

Which one are you in?

Lovely Minnesota. Home of the hapless Timberwolves, Vikings, and Wild (dumbest name for a sports team ever).

10 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

I used 0°c/32°f as my point of reference & (still). come up with -36°c(ish). 
WAY too cold. 

-26F or -36F at that point is nearly irrelevant, its all human Popsicle weather if you get stranded in a remote location without heat.  At the same time the deep freeze has some value beyond all manner of winter sports.  The deep freeze does a good job to keep from being overrun with the kind insects where you are on a first name basis with the Orkin man like in the warm all the time climates.  Also, having winters like this keeps from having the dreaded paradise label put on your home turf which in turn keeps a lot of the wackadoodle types from migrating there. To be sure we have  knuckleheads, but they are mostly home grown and everyone knows who they are :)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Damn that's cold:jaw:....... knew I didn't want to go there......

Visit during the three months of summer, or one month of Fall, best time. Other than that, nope.

Not happy with my ancestors for settling here, now I'm stuck here because of family.

No poisonous snakes or insects though, I like that.

9 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Visit during the three months of summer, or one month of Fall, best time. Other than that, nope.

Not happy with my ancestors for settling here, now I'm stuck here because of family.

No poisonous snakes or insects though, I like that.

Family,.....only the ones that live "with" you, the others can be geographically separated,.......all my wifes and my family are in Louisiana,......the drama stays there.

Haha, or as we joke about two seasons here.   Winter and Road Construction. 

Well Hostage, I thinking in the deep freezes to come in future years, we plan to visit our BMWST bros in these warm climes they are teasing us about.  I got the off the hook fresh Mushroom and Swiss cheese brats and some 8 year old cheddar cheese to share which taste just as good at 80F as they do at 0F

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 degrees at 5:00AM in central North Carolina. They say the weekend is going to be a cold one but come Wednesday, Feb. 2, there are rumors we are going to be in the sixties. The interesting thing about NC is you can have all four seasons in the same day.

Y'all stay safe out there.

Hostage, I live in a cold area.  Been here about 41 yrs.  Coldest in my tenure here is minus 20 one day and minus 30 the next. Once at work we had an exercise to dump the negative attributes and identify positive things about our community.  Two things that still cling to a brain cell are 1) We don't have fleas on our pets who go outdoor  2) your garbage doesn't stink in the winter.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

And #3! After hosting a giant Thanksgiving dinner there is no worry about frig space to keep leftovers as the garage is typically 35-38.  Imagine a  mash potatoes, a dripping gravy  and cranberry sauce bowls on the brand new Russell seat of your RT, or the hood of your pristine M5😮

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

And yet our adaptability is incredible. Our mind and our body (e.g., thick skin) adjust to these temperatures (to a point). Windchill was below 0 yesterday but I tried to do a few things that needed being done outdoors and gave up on it. Hands were burning and couldn't do the tasks with gloves on. Today is a balmy 28 and I will be comfortable outside taking care of business. When it starts getting cold in the Fall to say 50, playing golf and riding is a struggle. But if it was 50 right now, I would feel so good outside that I would take a nice long pleasant walk. Go figure.

I told my wife, "Honey, it's almost 40F outside.  Do ya wanna go take a walk?"  She looked at me like, "WTH?  Are you crazy?!", and oh yeah, she added a "humpf" and a chuckle, too.

With the moisture, it just fell sub-zero outside at 37F today.   We're definitely being winter "light weights" this season, for whatever reason.  (Well, part of my reason is the COVID-flu I've had for two weeks, it's tough to get up the energy to do anything when you feel like crap all the time.  That's today's excuse, and I'm stickin' by it! 😡)

"And #3! After hosting a giant Thanksgiving dinner there is no worry about frig space to keep leftovers as the garage is typically 35-38.  Imagine a  mash potatoes, a dripping gravy  and cranberry sauce bowls on the brand new Russell seat of your RT, or the hood of your pristine M5😮"

We can't use our garage fridge in the winter as a refrigerator.  All the liquids freeze.  I does come in handy as temporary freezer space.

Our foyer between the front door and interior door makes a great refrigerator in the winter. Just remember to bring your shoes in an hour before you want to wear them. And maybe remove the leftovers when expecting company so it doesn't look like they are entering a walk-in fridge.

• Like 1