IGNORED

Operating the BMW Repair and service Data

Randyjaco

I purchased this "WORKSHOP SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL BMW R 1200 RT K52 M.Y.2014/2015/2016/2017 NEW"     

on eBay. There were no instructions and the seller is not responding. I can't figure out if I got taken or if I just need some instruction on using it. It came as a DVD and seems to work on my PC. The problem is that I can't seem to get into the manual pages for doing repairs. I can get into a lot of dealer related items , but not how to fix things.

Is there anyone familiar with operating this manual or can point me to instructions somewhere?

16 minutes ago, Randyjaco said:

I purchased this "WORKSHOP SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL BMW R 1200 RT K52 M.Y.2014/2015/2016/2017 NEW"     

on eBay. There were no instructions and the seller is not responding. I can't figure out if I got taken or if I just need some instruction on using it. It came as a DVD and seems to work on my PC. The problem is that I can't seem to get into the manual pages for doing repairs. I can get into a lot of dealer related items , but not how to fix things.

Is there anyone familiar with operating this manual or can point me to instructions somewhere?

Evening Randyjaco

Those E-Bay manuals are usually  pirated from official  BMW copyrighted manuals. This site is a well respected BMW site that doesn't condone copyright infringement. 

You probably won't get a much help here as we try to abide by the rules.

With the above being said you might try messaging a few on this board as some might be willing to help you (personally I won't if it involves a pirated manual) 

Is there a legal manual for the 2017 R1200RT? I haven't found one yet. I am just looking for a way to do my own maintenance.

1 minute ago, Randyjaco said:

Is there a legal manual for the 2017 R1200RT? I haven't found one yet. I am just looking for a way to do my own maintenance.

Evening Randyjaco

There was one, as someone needed it to make a pirated copy from. 

If you purchased it as an .iso, you'll need to mount it as a virtual drive.  Once mounted, you should be able to get it functioning.

I do have the official digital BMW service manual you specified. The software is difficult to figure out how to use. But, it does work.  I would guess the one you purchased on ebay is the official one. It the past the BMW service manuals were excellent. Not any more.

BMW, along with other mfg have intentionally decided to not publish and sell service manuals to the public. You can no longer buy the official BMW Service Manuals for the R1200 bike from 2014 forward. Some dealers still have stock on some of the wetheads. There will be NO service manuals for the R1250 forward for the public. This decision is for both BMW bikes and cars.

I had planned on purchasing a new 2022 R1250RT this Spring. When I heard that there will no longer be service manual I cancelled that purchase. Instead I purchased a nice lightly used 2015 R1200RT. I am not alone in refusing to buy new BMW products.

In 2015 BMW was sued by the FTC for violating Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act when it forced owners of the MINI to buy parts from BMW and only have BMW perform service and maintenance on them. If the customer didn't, BMW would void the warranty. BMW settled with the FTC on this. Since then BMW has been making it as difficult as possible for customers to work on their bikes and cars. That is why you can't get a BMW service manual.

You can get a Haynes manual for your bike.

The Haynes 2005-2009 manual and the excellent DIY Tech Library videos on BMWMOA have been sufficient for me to perform regular scheduled maintenance and replacement of a transmission and clutch.

I have an official DVD for my K52 R1200RT, and another for my R1250RT.  Both jewel cases have a 20-digit activation code printed inside the front cover.  If you downloaded the DVD, and somebody sent you an activation code, then you probably bought a pirated copy.

However, if you think you bought an original manual, and you are simply having difficulty figuring out how to navigate the (very confusing) interface, then let us know.  We can help.

Cap

The seller finally responded and provided me with the instructions. The manual is working now and all is good.

Thanks for all the help

Randy

• Plus 1 1

The official digital manual is indeed a PIA to work with.  It has been a while since I accessed it but you need to launch through the included start up executable and work through  that so-so interface  to get at the manual.  

I was able to copy of the disc (not just the files) of my legit copy to my NAS drive and can run it over my personal network to any devise with access to the NAS drive.  I did this as so many devices no longer have an optical drive anymore

• 6 months later...

Recently purchased  01598405651   DVD Repair Manuals R 1200 models K5x from BMW Motorrad Dealer here in Australia Cost about $ 150 AU.

Works well on Windows PC takes a while to get used to it but everything you ever wanted to know is there.

R 1250 DVD Repair Manuals   01591540216

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

Owners of new models are really at a disadvantage under the BMW no service manual regime as the fellow in this video illustrates.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Randyjaco

Those E-Bay manuals are usually  pirated from official  BMW copyrighted manuals. This site is a well respected BMW site that doesn't condone copyright infringement. 

You probably won't get a much help here as we try to abide by the rules.

With the above being said you might try messaging a few on this board as some might be willing to help you (personally I won't if it involves a pirated manual) 

With all due respect to Dirtrider and others who share his opinion, and only in reference to pirated BMW shop manual DVDs, who exactly is being harmed if an owner obtains a pirated manual to enjoy his passion to maintain his own bike, or just to learn more about its inner workings? BMW Motorrad? I think not, as they no longer provide the DVD for sale, and are not being deprived of profit from its sale. BMW has acted against the interest of their owners by restricting access to this knowledge. The tiny harm they must endure when an owner is able to obtain a pirated manual seems rather trivial. The same applies to dealers, who may lose some amount of service work. Happy to see that at least one other member shares this view.

• Like 1

There are opinins and there are rules and laws.  Some members have professional interests to uphold.  Their personal feelings or opinions may not be the same as their "public" statements.  With copyrights there are legal aspects, and not just for the members here but the web site itself, I would think.  Let's maintain our respect for those that may not be able to publicly say what they think or feel and appreciate whatever they guidance they CAN provide.

And yes, the new BMW manual is a PITA.  Maybe we should petition Haynes to get some of these models covered.  I much prefer paper books with earmarked pages, greasy fingerprints, and yellow stickies throughout.

• Like 1

The key to the farmers' success was having an organization to represent them and pursue their interests. The AMA is actively supporting Right to Repair but the big BMW clubs are silent.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Lowndes said:

There are opinins and there are rules and laws.  Some members have professional interests to uphold.  Their personal feelings or opinions may not be the same as their "public" statements.  With copyrights there are legal aspects, and not just for the members here but the web site itself, I would think.  Let's maintain our respect for those that may not be able to publicly say what they think or feel and appreciate whatever they guidance they CAN provide.

And yes, the new BMW manual is a PITA.  Maybe we should petition Haynes to get some of these models covered.  I much prefer paper books with earmarked pages, greasy fingerprints, and yellow stickies throughout.

Doubt Haynes can put out a repair manual without the BMW repair manual, they have to get their info somewhere.  So unless they get a pirated copy of a current manual no way for them to write a new manual.