IGNORED

Oil FIlters Question

Sonor

I just read an article that stated, "DO NOT spend your money on an oil filter for synthetic oil. All filters will be just fine if you change the filter when you change the oil." Now other than I always change the filter with the oil, I am not sure I believe the first part. What are your thoughts on synth oil filters vs. reg. oil filters if you are using synthetic oil?

Can you provide a link to that article? I have always changed the oil filter with the specified on whether using synthetic oil or standard oil. For me the filter is there to "filter" the oil and remove particulates that might harm the engine, so I don't think it mater which oil you use. However, I did not understand your last sentence when seem to refer to oil filters made out of synthetic material or standard oil filter made using specialized paper. is this what you meant to say or to ask about?

I've never heard of oil filters made specifically or differently to be used with synthetic oil. Get a good quality filter and change it when changing oil, dino or synthetic.

I've heard of people changing a filter without changing the oil because synthetic oil can go longer between changes. That seems odd to me. 

First oil thread I've replied to in years. Couldn't resist replying when thinking someone is probably charging more for "synthetic oil specific" filters. What a scam.

9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I hope you used the proper filter to match the oil...

That's the question, is there such a thing?

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Never heard of a oil filter specifically for synthetic

Other than Mobile 1 says to use their filter as it is superior for synthetic oil. Really? Therein lies the reason for the post.  If there are filters specifically designed for synthetic oil, does it really matter? I think the article is a "Subscription Only" post so providing a link would be of no benefit as it was not related to motorcycles and therefore few if any of you would have access.

9 minutes ago, Sonor said:

Other than Mobile 1 says to use their filter as it is superior for synthetic oil. Really? Therein lies the reason for the post.  If there are filters specifically designed for synthetic oil, does it really matter? I think the article is a "Subscription Only" post so providing a link would be of no benefit as it was not related to motorcycles and therefore few if any of you would have access.

May be "superior for synthetic oil", but was it specifically designed for synthetic oil.  I just buy oil filters, the last bunch I got from Amazon were HiFlo's and Mahle's.  I've used K&Ns, Mobile Ones, Fram's, matters not to me 'cept pricing.  I generally look for sales and buy in a small bulk load to last a couple of years.

Joe Frickin' Friday
20 minutes ago, Sonor said:

Other than Mobile 1 says to use their filter as it is superior for synthetic oil.

It's probably also superior for conventional oil.

Haven't bought an oil filer in over 10 years. Bought a PC Racing stainless steel reusable one off of fleabay . Very high quality. Would guess that by this time it has more than paid for itself. Is it as good as paper.  IDK . Kinda like the train of thought, the only time I have heard of an engine failure do to oil, there was none in it.

Hmm, it seems improbable that the filter industry would make filters incompatible with a commonly used oil type being filtered and not have a specific specification for that difference if it were true. Auto manufacturers would have specified the bejeezus out of that as well.  I doubt that any quality filter would be incompatible with synthetic oil. Maybe I might be concerned if I sourced 100 no name filters from Alibaba at $1 each , but those might fail with any oil put through them.

Best comment I have heard (think it was DR) is the difference between good and bad filters is if the bypass circuit leaks unfiltered oil.  I would also suspect poor quality filters would use a more porous filter media with fewer pleats and pass larger debris from the get go, and then plug up with debris faster with oil bypassing the plugged filter media sooner.  Given that line of thinking and the relative cost of a filter, I change the filer every oil change and stick with OEM and other major brand names that are also OEM suppliers to the auto industry.

I’ve owned countless cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and airplanes over many decades. I’ve had machines with spin on oil filters as well as screens. I’ve used the best oil all the way down to recycled oil for 10 cents a quart when I was in school.  I don’t use oil additives or any gimmicks.  I use mfg specs for the last 30 years or so. 

In my youth probably 14-30 I drove everything really hard. I use to pride myself saying every vehicle I’ve ever owned i found top speed. My dad was a Chevy dealer and I got to drive lots of cars. 

I’ve never had an engine related issue associated with oil or filter. I have torn up a bunch of transmissions but never an engine. Now I drive like an old fart that I am trying to see how many miles I can get on a gallon of gas. 

There may be some filters and oil that are better than others but my  experience is staying with mfg specs will serve you well. 

• Like 1

But, what type and manufacturer of oil is best? (He says while vigorously stirring the pot)

The only oil I had problems with was Pennzoil back in ancient times, it left a hell of a mess inside the motor, a buildup of paraffin wax, but the engine never died because of it, and I really tried to kill that motor.. It just turned me off to that brand, I'm sure it is just fine, not knocking the modern blends. If I needed oil and it was available, it would use it.

I've even mixed synthetic and regular oil, shockingly the motor did not blow up.

What's the best oil to use? Some type.

Thank you. It's 20 degrees outside, my gravel road is covered with ice, so I can't ride, my golf course is closed, my kayak river is frozen so I was hoping that something would come up to prevent boredom. After this, maybe a chat about which oil and then what tires.

Stay warm northerners.