IGNORED

What's it worth?

JamesW

Not saying I want to sell my bike (R1100RSL) but what if is the question.  I admit to being somewhat of a tinkerer which imo resulted in my R1100 running like a top especially when I think back to the beginning when it surged like there is no tomorrow and was just miserable to ride.  The final solution was simple just cut the jumper on the back side of the ECU connector which simulated a code plug in later models.  Doing so resulted in activation of a fueling program stored in the ECU intended for use in countries that had no catalytic converter requirements in 1993.  This mod also meant that the ECU no longer accepted data from the O2 sensor so I removed it (O2 sensor).  

I could be wrong but my guess is most BMW dealers would automatically shy away from accepting my bike as a trade in because of this modification.  Did I, in effect, de-value my bike by doing what I did?  Also, how would a modification like this be viewed by a potential buyer were I to attempt to sell it myself?  Where I live vehicle inspections are not required when registering any vehicle so I'm not personally effected when it comes to making mods like this.  If I were a potential buyer I would be somewhat skeptical myself if I was looking at a vehicle that had been modified by a seller especially when considering the skill level of most backyard tinkerers like myself.  Now, I personally view my skill level in making mods like this to be way more advanced than the average tinkerer but that's my opinion.  I'm not going to go into my qualifications other than to say I was trained in electronics engineering technology at  Oregon Institute of Technology and spent my working career in the field.

What say you???

30 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Not saying I want to sell my bike (R1100RSL) but what if is the question.  I admit to being somewhat of a tinkerer which imo resulted in my R1100 running like a top especially when I think back to the beginning when it surged like there is no tomorrow and was just miserable to ride.  The final solution was simple just cut the jumper on the back side of the ECU connector which simulated a code plug in later models.  Doing so resulted in activation of a fueling program stored in the ECU intended for use in countries that had no catalytic converter requirements in 1993.  This mod also meant that the ECU no longer accepted data from the O2 sensor so I removed it (O2 sensor).  

I could be wrong but my guess is most BMW dealers would automatically shy away from accepting my bike as a trade in because of this modification.  Did I, in effect, de-value my bike by doing what I did?  Also, how would a modification like this be viewed by a potential buyer were I to attempt to sell it myself?  Where I live vehicle inspections are not required when registering any vehicle so I'm not personally effected when it comes to making mods like this.  If I were a potential buyer I would be somewhat skeptical myself if I was looking at a vehicle that had been modified by a seller especially when considering the skill level of most backyard tinkerers like myself.  Now, I personally view my skill level in making mods like this to be way more advanced than the average tinkerer but that's my opinion.  I'm not going to go into my qualifications other than to say I was trained in electronics engineering technology at  Oregon Institute of Technology and spent my working career in the field.

What say you???

Afternoon James

At the age of your 1100RSL, looks, condition, & miles on the odometer will probably be the biggest influence on resale value. How the thing fuels is probably of little concern to most unless it needs to meet emission test standards (it still might even with the o2 sensor inactive if the cat is still working ) 

I doubt most dealers will offer you any where near what you think it is worth, you might get a little premium if it has low miles & in great condition but probably no where near what it is really worth.

The better it runs the more likely a new owner is to buy it.

But, if you are worried just re-install the 02 sensor, then put a simple on/off switch in that wire you cut (or even a simple disconnect type connector). That way the new owner can have it both ways. 

Now if the cat is missing then a dealer might not be too darn interested as that could make them nervous about re-selling a non emission compliant motorcycle but if it is as nice as you say then probably someone at the dealer will make you an offer as-is. 

If no Cat----Does that very early (pre CCP) 1100 have a factory pigtail for an idle trim potentiometer? If so then an idle trim pot (factory or homemade) could easily be tweaked to pass the idle Co requirement of most state emission testing. 

Hi D.R.,  Funny you should mention an on/off switch on the cut jumper as I had the same thought myself.  As to the O2 sensor I donated it to the circular file when I removed it but they're relatively inexpensive.  Yes, I thought about having an emissions test just for curiosity.  I know that after the bike is at running temperature the AFR is 14.1:1 which surprised me because of how smooth and responsive it runs.  

Reason I brought this subject up is I'm 80 years old in less than two years and I'm having some issues with things like co-ordination and I tire more easily so I fear my days in the saddle may be limited.  I hope not but..........

Jim

12 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Hi D.R.,  Funny you should mention an on/off switch on the cut jumper as I had the same thought myself.  As to the O2 sensor I donated it to the circular file when I removed it but they're relatively inexpensive.  Yes, I thought about having an emissions test just for curiosity.  I know that after the bike is at running temperature the AFR is 14.1:1 which surprised me because of how smooth and responsive it runs.  

Reason I brought this subject up is I'm 80 years old in less than two years and I'm having some issues with things like co-ordination and I tire more easily so I fear my days in the saddle may be limited.  I hope not but..........

Jim

Afternoon Jim

Well to me that isn't old.  

If you do decide to sell you might list it on this site as with your history on how you have kept it up it would probably interest &  sell to someone here. If you lived closer I might even be interested (always had thing for those early 1100 RS bikes).

40 minutes ago, JamesW said:

It is nice to look at.:)

Evening Jim 

You shouldn't have any problems selling that bike, looks like new that has never seen rain or dirt roads.

That bike should probably go into a cherished collection, not on the road as a daily rider. 

Just don't tell the buyer about that silly early 1100RS oil separator funnel looking thingy hanging off the rear of the engine, the team that allowed that to go into production should have been sent to North Korea as tractor consultants. 

• Like 1

I can see you never used the brakes.  Those rotors look bright, shiny, and brand new.  It does my heart good to see a bike taken well care of.

As far as selling it....Dealer will be fast but by far and away your worst price by 30-50%.  Heck they may not even want it due to age and possible liability.  Sell it here.  Sell it on Craigslist.  Sell it on several on-line things including MOA.  If you do decide to sell, you won't have a problem with the two mods you mentioned.  I would just leave them as is.  Your mods are a huge favor to any future owner.

I've never ever had an inspection on a bike where they actually checked smog or other emission items; even in California.  Most inspection places wouldn't have a clue.  I see it as you did the next owner a favor...not a disservice.  

My inspection (due next month) at the BMW dealer for free consist of lights, horn, signals, insurance....and $8.  

Good looking scoot.

• Like 1

Hi D.R., Funny you should talk about being in a collection because that's exactly where the RS was since it left Germany in 08/93.  A collector bought it and never so much as started it.  The guy had a collection of BMW bikes stored in a climate controlled building in Southern California.  He eventually consigned his collection to Brown Motor Works in SoCal and I found it on the internet in 2012.  It still had the original fuel in the tank that was put in to run the final acceptance dyno test before it left Berlin.  First thing was to replace the frozen fuel pump, fuel filter and all in tank fuel lines before starting her the first time.  I even separated the transmission from the engine and lubed the trans input shaft splines before the first start up and ride.  You are right, it has never seen a drop of rain or even been on a wet road.  In Oregon that was a challenge.  I keep thinking I should retire from riding but jeez that's hard.  

Oil separator funnel looking thingy??

12,996 miles all put on by me since 2012.  I added a Kisan signal minder and headlight high beam modulator.  Also, installed 1" bar riser with handle bar set back.  Has new Ztechnik windshield. Oh, also brand new Metzler tires.  She has never once had ethanol fuel in her tank just non-ethanol premium.  All fluids are changed once a year including brake fluid.  Engine oil every 6 months.  That pretty much describes how I've maintained it and it sits in my heated shop and I do check the valves every other oil change.  A real garage queen if ever there was one.  My FJR gets the same treatment.

13 hours ago, JamesW said:

Oil separator funnel looking thingy??

Morning Jim

This strange looking apparatus! For some reason the BMW engineering team thought the early 1100RS needed this strange looking thing to separate the vented oil from the vented air on the crankcase ventilation system. 

Later 1100 bikes simply used a compartmented air filter box but I'm not sure if (or how much) the rear crankshaft venting passages were changed to go with the later air box crankcase venting system. I would have to compare engine cases but I'm pretty sure the later (air box) systems had a better oil separation & better drain back labyrinth cast into the rear of the engine case.

ldObgyH.jpg?1

James, I thinks it’s worth about $350 - I’ve got cash and a trailer and I think I even remember how to get to you place. I can head down right away if you want ;)

But, for that price, it’s got to have under 13,000 miles…so don’t push it around the garage too much before I get there!

:hide

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

James, I thinks it’s worth about $350 - I’ve got cash and a trailer and I think I even remember how to get to you place. I can head down right away if you want ;)

But, for that price, it’s got to have under 13,000 miles…so don’t push it around the garage too much before I get there!

:hide

lol..lol..Hey, for an extra 50 I'll throw in the other one.  I thought they closed the Olympia brewery?  lol..lol..

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Jim

This strange looking apparatus! For some reason the BMW engineering team thought the early 1100RS needed this strange looking thing to separate the vented oil from the vented air on the crankcase ventilation system. 

Later 1100 bikes simply used a compartmented air filter box but I'm not sure if (or how much) the rear crankshaft venting passages were changed to go with the later air box crankcase venting system. I would have to compare engine cases but I'm pretty sure the later (air box) systems had a better oil separation & better drain back labyrinth cast into the rear of the engine case.

ldObgyH.jpg?1

Yeah, I remember that thing.  It bit the dust along with that other paraphernalia.