IGNORED

Arclite VLD Riding Tactical Sunglasses Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Arclite VLD Riding Glasses intro

Finding the perfect non-prescription riding glasses can be a challenge. But it sometimes happens that an ideal supplier is found, only to have them discontinue the model you fell in love with. Thankfully those days are over for me after I discovered Arclite VLDs last year.

What makes the Arclite so special? Most importantly, they use thick polycarbonate lenses that exceed U.S. military ballistics standards for eyewear, and that’s key in protecting your eyes from rocks and bugs and whatever else is flying through the air.

Arclite VLD Sunglasses 1

The unit I tested has a three-lens option for varying riding conditions: red mirror for bright sunny days, yellow for dark, rainy times, and clear for safety. The lenses are frameless, providing the optimum field of view vertically and horizontally to better allow seeing what’s around you.

The earpieces are made from a flexible, slim, and flat high-molecular polymer with titanium-reinforced struts that should easily fit into most helmets. Still, there’s a slight learning curve for how to put them on so they’ll fit the helmet comfortably. In my opinion the Arclite VLDs are some of the most comfortable riding glasses I’ve ever experienced. I use them for ADV, off-road, mountain biking and as around-the-shop safety glasses.

After riding with the Arclites for a little over a year, it’s clear they’ll be my go-to riding glasses for years to come. The beauty of being able to just order new lenses if you happen to wear them out is a huge bonus and will save on expenses over time.

ArcliteOptics.com

MSRP: ~$150

PROS:

• Wraparound design protects eyes from a majority of wind
  • The red mirror lens sharpens vision for the ultimate in clarity
  • Replaceable lenses

CONS:

• Initial buy-in might be pricey for some
  • Takes a bit to break them in

View the full article