IGNORED

My wife wrecked the K bike before she was 50 miles into the lesson

SCOOTERTR6

She was doing really well . Kind of a freak accident. Her mistake was taking the backroad back to the house after sundown. Bad news, no street lights and deer all over the place. Right at the last turn there was a Cujo type dog sitting right in the middle of the other lane. I was riding behind and right after I passed the Cujo distraction and got my eyes back on the road  all I saw was a fountain of sparks coming off the road at the very last dogleg, which sneaks up on you anyway.

She got some nasty road rash on all knees, elbows and one wrist but none of it was all the way down to the bone so very lucky..
It was a good five minutes before I got parked safe and when I walked up she had crawled out of the ditch and there was the Kbike laying on it's side ticking over a perfect clockwork 90rpm  idle.

• Sad 1

Damage was left foot peg broke off, windshield problems, fuel pump problems, clutch cable broke, fairing top left side < found one online

in  new condition same color for 50 BUCKS couldn't believe it. I removed the passenger foot peg and modified it to work up front.
The windshield had cracks all around the mounting bolts, some fragments broke off. I got some heavy duty double sided tape and put the fragments together on it like a puzzle then held it all in with oversized shock mount washers. Put a stick-on 4.5 inch convex mirror over the broken one. I picked up the battery at a BMW dealer. $150  is not bad and didn't have to wait. I'm working on the fuel pump problem. pump won't arrive until Monday

On 1/19/2022 at 5:02 PM, KBMWGT said:

For others to learn from...what was she wearing?

Jeans, both knees tore, they are the worst we already discussed that. T-shirt under a leather jacket, but it's one of those decorative leather jackets that would be considered formal wear in an East Coast city, It also tore, no gloves, leather shoes.
This is going to out me as an idiot, but these practice rides were all in our neighborhood, mostly working on riding under 30 mph and 90 degree turns. Countersteering at 4 mph for sharp turns, slipping the clutch when necessary, making full stops and not falling over at lo lo speeds. She has a terriffic advantage for riding motorcycles. She has 34' legs (instep). At full stop both feet are flat on the road and her knees are bent.

We didn't get serious about riding gear just putting around the hood And its Houston Tx which is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity around Thanksgiving. If you get stuck at a long stop light you could pass out in leather and a full face helmet. It sucks because the proper gear can be dangerous. Most of the time I ride with a leather vest and tshirt if Im just riding around town. If it gets down to the low 80's I'll put on sleeves but it has to get below eighty to put on a real leather for me. I had three heat strokes in one year working outside on pavement or concrete. Didnt know how dangerous that is. If you have three in a year the third one usually kills you. I have a really low tolerance for anything over ninety now. I get dehydrated immediately and start feeling dizzy. Touring around the states we will be looking for a new place to live. I don't want to be in Houston when this Global Warming really kicks in. It looked like us Baby Boomers were going to die out before it really hit but we won't. It 's coming sooner  than expected. Just because the Climate denying hoaxes were paid for by money in Texas banks, and baby bo omers have been the worst generation in history for leaving the planet in much worse shape than we got it doesn't mean we have to be inconvenienced by a reckoning does it?  We brought you rock n roll, and disco, and Marvel Comics and exactly the same type wars we raised hi hell about in student demonstrations back  when the working class could afford college. But there was a very legitimate reason for not holding the fort very well.

WE WERE REALLY [censored]ED UP ON DRUGS ALL THE TIME. You know how drug addiction trends are like fashion these days? There will be a sudden coke epidemic if a latin american govt needs to be put down, heroin comes and goes like south Asian strategies, meth gets popular when you are too broke from buying other drugs, and MDMA is big when the population get's horny. Not sure which direction the cause and effects flow on that one.

But back when we were teenagers for twenty years or so, there were no trends, we did all that shit,  sometimes the entire range of illegal drugs in one weekend, but it's not like we were careless idiots.  We all had a backup bottle of speed pills to get us to class on time Monday morning in case of emergencies.

It's not easy being a baby boomer, we have to blow alot of dust behind us to cover all our [censored]-ups and coming up with new twists on logic flavors that divert all the blame  on to those lazy good for nothing millenials, or punk rock addled Genxrs, or welcome the zoomers into the neo-social meat grinding bullshit Empire with a well constructed pre-rendered narrative defining who they are and everything they will have screwed up before they reach 20.

Sooo I'm thinking maybe Tennessee.

1 minute ago, Hosstage said:

Well that took a turn!

The only way I can cool the guilt is by owning it and BTW.

We're sorry. --I should trim that down to I'm Sorry to avoid the obvious improprieties
I'm just grouchy because I just got the R1150R back on the road last night and its thirty[censored]  degrees today

• Like 1

Wow, I think we may have just witnessed the reincarnation of HST. :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

Sorry about the tip over and glad no real permanent damage was done.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 5:17 AM, SCOOTERTR6 said:

She was doing really well . Kind of a freak accident. Her mistake was taking the backroad back to the house after sundown. Bad news, no street lights and deer all over the place. Right at the last turn there was a Cujo type dog sitting right in the middle of the other lane. I was riding behind and right after I passed the Cujo distraction and got my eyes back on the road  all I saw was a fountain of sparks coming off the road at the very last dogleg, which sneaks up on you anyway.

She got some nasty road rash on all knees, elbows and one wrist but none of it was all the way down to the bone so very lucky..
It was a good five minutes before I got parked safe and when I walked up she had crawled out of the ditch and there was the Kbike laying on it's side ticking over a perfect clockwork 90rpm  idle.

Sorry to hear about the wife. No Need to lecture about riding gear.  The RS is a heavy bike and definitely not a beginner’s bike.  I’ve alway recommended beginners start off with a much lighter bike, riding school and then graduate up. 

• Plus 1 1
On 1/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, SCOOTERTR6 said:

Those were almost her exact words. she had just gotten a helmet that day, so she broke it in the hard way.

One word.  Motoport

(That's a "do as I say, don't do as I do" thingy.  I keep saying that AFTER I lose a bunch of weight, I'll reward myself with this gear.   My wife gets some after she rides with me, maybe 250 miles.  Maybe neither of us will be able to ride again, i.e. my wrists are going numb and she has some issues, but we'll give it the ol' college try.)  

It probably would have prevented much of her injuries.  She's very blessed that she didn't break her wrist or elbow, or injure her shoulder.   Very easy to do, reflexively reaching out on the way down.  Hope she gets well soon, and so does her bike.

Edit:  Oh, this thread is a year old.  Old news.   🙄😖   Hope she's back to riding, and all.