IGNORED

Hose for external filter mod

TracyPrier

TracyPrier

Hi again guys.

OK, so I'm seriously looking at doing the external fuel filter mod.

Reading Mr. Lentini's instructions he mentions to only use EFI-rated hose.

I have been doing some investigation on this and found that EFI hose is SAE30r9-rated, working pressure 125psi & minimum burst pressure of 900psi.

Down here in N.Z. this stuff is really expensive while SAE30r7 hose is much cheaper. SAE30r7 is rated at a working pressure of 50psi and minimum burst pressure of 250psi.

The BMW manual for my RT states that the pump operates at 43psi.

Do I really need to go with the more expensive stuff which seems hugely overrated for the application?

Thoughts Gents ????

Do I really need to go with the more expensive stuff which seems hugely overrated for the application?

....YES....and don't forget the proper Fuel Injection Clamps thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I have been doing some investigation on this and found that EFI hose is SAE30r9-rated, working pressure 125psi & minimum burst pressure of 900psi.

Down here in N.Z. this stuff is really expensive while SAE30r7 hose is much cheaper. SAE30r7 is rated at a working pressure of 50psi and minimum burst pressure of 250psi.

The BMW manual for my RT states that the pump operates at 43psi.

Thoughts Gents ????

How expensive is FI hose there? IIRC, when I did the job here, it was something like US$6 a foot.

Occasionally the fuel pressure regulator (or its return line) get constipated by the odd piece of debris or malfunction, deadheading the pump and causing pressure in the fuel system to rise substantially. Some folks with this sort of problem installed gages to check things out, and have reported in the neighborhood of 100 psi in such cases. This seems to be in line with the 30R7 stuff you describe.

TracyPrier

Uh-Oh... confusion, does not compute confused.gif

One say EFI hose, one say not EFI hose... Homer brain hurt dopeslap.gif ...mmmm...pizza

Use the EFI hose, do you really want a margin of 7psi over the nominal working pressure? It's gasoline we are talking about, not water.

DavidEBSmith

You can get official BMW fuel hose from BMW. It's more expensive here than going to the local auto parts store, but less expensive than really expensive.

BMW lists two part numbers. 16 12 1 180 040 is on the parts fiche for inside the tank, and is about $15 USD per unit (and I don't remember if a unit is a foot or a meter). 13 31 1 722 262 is on the parts fiche for connecting to the fuel regulator and is about $8 USD per unit. What is the difference? As near as the local parts guy could figure, the more expensive is rated for being immersed in gas, or having gas in it and on it, and the less expensive is only rated for having gas in it, not on it.

When I did the external fuel filter, I went with the expensive BMW hose, because it eliminates a whole bunch of issues. Is it rated for the FI system on the bike? Yes. Can I use it inside the tank to make the loop to replace the fuel filter? Yes.

ShovelStrokeEd

Keep in mind that the fuel system pressure is regulated at the end of the line, so to speak, to keep the rail pressure at 43 PSI. The filter is upstream of the injectors and the line between the pump and the filter will be pressurized by the pump to whatever it takes to maintain that 43 PSI. Should your filter become plugged (it won't pass water for example) line pressure could easily exceed that 100 PSI by a considerable margin.

The matching clamps are quite important as well. A worm drive clamp is only rated at about 20 PSI on hose this size and the stiffer high pressure hose is less likely to compress than lighter duty hose, further degrading the seal. Having a hose pop off the filter spigot due to indadequate clamps is just as bad as having one burst.

$15 USD per unit (and I don't remember if a unit is a foot or a meter)
This is an important piece of information - EFI hose is about $6 a foot at the auto store, I doubt that it is the immersible type either.
2wheelterry

As an alternative to BMW, per this hose rated for SAE30R10 is for submersible applications, (inside the tank). I'm off to my preferred parts store to see if they stock it, but I'm not optimistic.

Archived