IGNORED

"Brake Free" Helmet Brake Light (deceleration monitor, not connected to the bike)

Scott9999

This is a really neat idea I saw referenced in a post over on the bmwlt.com forum, and thought that I'd share it here.   I don't know anything about the reliability or such, but it's going into my "future farkles" list.  It's pricy, but everything related to a motorcycle seems to be in that category of life.  😏  For guys with multiple motorcycles, since it works independent of the bike, it'd be a relatively small investment that would make riding each of his/her bikes safer.👍  Might even be a better idea that adding hyperlites or other aux brake strobes to a bike (ahem... now that I've already bought the parts for mine .... 🙄😖).  The fact that it mounts up high, on the riders helmet, breaking the visual plain so to speak, is a huge safety plus, IMHO.

"Brake Free" helmet brake light.

https://www.brakefreetech.com/products/brake-free

User feedback, or thoughts on this item?  

:5146:

Here's a video I found on it:

3 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

This is a really neat idea I saw referenced in a post over on the bmwlt.com forum, and thought that I'd share it here.   I don't know anything about the reliability or such, but it's going into my "future farkles" list.  It's pricy, but everything related to a motorcycle seems to be in that category of life.  😏  For guys with multiple motorcycles, since it works independent of the bike, it'd be a relatively small investment that would make riding each of his/her bikes safer.👍  Might even be a better idea that adding hyperlites or other aux brake strobes to a bike (ahem... now that I've already bought the parts for mine .... 🙄😖).

"Brake Free" helmet brake light.

https://www.brakefreetech.com/products/brake-free

User feedback, or thoughts on this item?  

:5146:

Evening  Scott9999

Just go ride behind one.

Those things are annoying to vehicles following them due to the constant triggering. It doesn't take long for the driver/rider following to just ignore.

But the real question is: are they then also not paying attention to the motorcycle in front real brake lights. 

I rode behind a car that must have been hybrid or straight up electric, every time they let off the gas pedal the brake lights flashed. Annoying as hell. If this works in the same way, I couldn't wait to pass it or run it over.

I like the idea, as long as it operates properly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  Scott9999

Just go ride behind one.

Those things are annoying to vehicles following them due to the constant triggering. It doesn't take long for the driver/rider following to just ignore.

But the real question is: are they then also not paying attention to the motorcycle in front real brake lights. 

Good point on the irritation factor.  As for as why (auto/truck) drivers ignore real motorcycle brake lights, that's easy for me to understand. 

1) Most motorcycle brake lights are smaller, less intense, and lower to the road, than a pair of auto brake lights.  

2) Just as with T-bone accidents, where drivers pull out in front of a motorcycle passing them through an intersection, drivers scan for the hazard they expect.  They expect a 3000+ car or much larger truck, not the much smaller profile, usually single headlight, frequently dimmer head light, motorcycle & rider.   I think the profile a motorcycle rider presents from the rear doesn't match what the driver is expecting.  Drivers in their subconscious rule out anything smaller than a truck or car as irrelevant to their safety (which can also include pedestrians at night, in dark clothes). 

It really doesn't matter why they didn't see us, after we're in the hospital or worse.  I'm willing to force drivers to put up with a bit of irritation, to enhance my safety.  On the other hand, again, it's a good point.  If these things are blinking on and off constantly, they aren't "brake lights", but in effect, illegal (and probably useless) red strobes strapped to your helmet. 

• Thinking 1
57 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Good point on the irritation factor.  As for as why (auto/truck) drivers ignore real motorcycle brake lights, that's easy for me to understand. 

1) Most motorcycle brake lights are smaller, less intense, and lower to the road, than a pair of auto brake lights.  

2) Just as with T-bone accidents, where drivers pull out in front of a motorcycle passing them through an intersection, drivers scan for the hazard they expect.  They expect a 3000+ car or much larger truck, not the much smaller profile, usually single headlight, frequently dimmer head light, motorcycle & rider.   I think the profile a motorcycle rider presents from the rear doesn't match what the driver is expecting.  Drivers in their subconscious rule out anything smaller than a truck or car as irrelevant to their safety (which can also include pedestrians at night, in dark clothes). 

It really doesn't matter why they didn't see us, after we're in the hospital or worse.  I'm willing to force drivers to put up with a bit of irritation, to enhance my safety.  On the other hand, again, it's a good point.  If these things are blinking on and off constantly, they aren't "brake lights", but in effect, illegal (and probably useless) red strobes strapped to your helmet. 

Evening  Evening  Scott9999

Just get your brake lights up on your rear case, they are easy for every driver to see & understand there.

But more importantly get your rear braking lights to work when you are actually braking so the diver behind you knows your intentions not your wishes. 

Brake lights only work correctly when the driver/ride behind knows that you are serious about stopping not just playing or dabbling with the brakes. 

Go follow a constant brake tester for while then see how complacent you become about his flashing brake lights. After a while you don't even lift off the throttle when you see his brake lights come on (well that is until almost park in his trunk) 

I used to set up & run  lot of motorcycle rides (mostly off-road), some riders don't trust their brakes, or trust that their brakes will be there when they need them so constantly keep pulling a brake lever or touching the rear brake pedal to get that warm & fuzzy feeling about their brakes.   (causes lot of issues)

It doesn't take the rider behind them long to just ignore those constant brake tests UNTIL there is a close call or rear collision due to the rider actually stopping hard. 

I actually  have a switch on my real off-road bikes rear brake light to turn off the brake light for the rear brake pedal as I typically use the rear brake mostly for steering & vehicle control when riding off-road so it would be falsely flashing a lot even when I'm not stopping hard.  If my brake light goes on it is from my front brake lever & THAT means I am serious about getting the bike slowed down in a hurry. In fact when my rear wheel is hanging about 6"-8" off the ground that means I am REAL serious about dumping speed fast. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm with you DR, often thought about a switch to turn off one or the other brake light switch.

Evening Hosstage

That works great in the off-road areas.

On the older bikes (pre ABS) that use real brake light switches it is real easy (just a waterproof switch & couple of wires).

Some of the newer computerized ABS bikes are difficult to even about impossible due to the ABS computer controlling & triggering the rear brake lights. It c-o-u-l-d still be done with a double throw double or tipple contact  switch to completely disable the rear brake light then add in a load resistor to fool the computer.  Then the second set of contacts to switch it over to a hydraulic pressure activated switch for the front lever braking light. 

If you still wanted a working tail light then a 3rd circuit that only sends about 8 volts to rear bulb with no brake input. 

I have had Brake Free on my helmet for a little over a year now. I like the concept and I find that in traffic I get fewer vehicles following me too closely. One thing I noticed pretty quickly is that the Brake Free unit is about the same height as the cyclops light on most SUV's and Pick-ups. Tall trucks that are following too close, can't see my bike tail lights, but they can see my Brake Free. There are multiple settings, some are really annoying. I picked the setting I felt was the best and less annoying.

My primary reason for buying was that I do a lot of engine braking. The average motorist just doesn't understand how powerful engine braking is on a motorcycle. I felt that they needed a little warning.

I feel that my $170 was well spent. Now there are several competing cheaper devices. Some even do directional signals. To each his own. The choice is yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Randyjaco said:

I have had Brake Free on my helmet for a little over a year now. I like the concept and I find that in traffic I get fewer vehicles following me too closely. One thing I noticed pretty quickly is that the Brake Free unit is about the same height as the cyclops light on most SUV's and Pick-ups. Tall trucks that are following too close, can't see my bike tail lights, but they can see my Brake Free. There are multiple settings, some are really annoying. I picked the setting I felt was the best and less annoying.

My primary reason for buying was that I do a lot of engine braking. The average motorist just doesn't understand how powerful engine braking is on a motorcycle. I felt that they needed a little warning.

I feel that my $170 was well spent. Now there are several competing cheaper devices. Some even do directional signals. To each his own. The choice is yours.

downloaded their "Quick Start Guide", and "User Manuals", and didn't see any options, other than "Active Mode", "Pulsing Mode", or "Stealth Mode".  There's nothing about adjusting sensitivity (as I would have expected) to prevent false signals when downshifting (for handling, cornering, but not really slowing or stopping), which happens frequently on a street bike.  This looks like their initial offering, so perhaps they'll refine the concept over time.  "Stealth Mode" might be the least offensive mode to other drives, but again, there are many more routine deceleration events on a bike that do not constitute a stop, as compared to an auto.

Still, when the budget allows, I'll probably add this item, along with a second mount, so that I can mount it on my wife's helmet when she's riding pillion.   I believe it'll be more effective than a trunk mounted brake light, and besides, I don't use the 49L trunk when I'm riding solo (most of the time).

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...
Dirtmerchant

Anyone have any updates on their use of the Brake Free? 

We use ours all the time-like Scott says we have two mounts and switch the unit when she rides with me

The best compliment I get is from bikers behind me who say that it's annoying to have light blinking.  I'm happy to hear that!

Thanks for your Cyclops help earlier today.  

• Like 3
Dirtmerchant

Thanks for the feedback @DBULL  I ride with several guy that have them but no long term users. 

One of my buddies was recently stopped by FHP, he was on his S1KRR and moving with traffic about +20 so he thought he was getting an award.  Turns out the LEO is also a moto officer and stopped him to find out what the Brake Free was all about. He liked the concept so much that he said he will be telling other bikers that he pulls over about it. I get that some drivers may tune it out after it goes off several times but living in SWFL with some of the worst drivers I've ever experienced, I don't think it will hurt anything. 

• Like 2

One of the guys in the northern IL BMW club showed up with one couple years ago.  I think there are at least 10 of us now that use it.   Battery life is amazing.  Charging isn't all that fast, but I do get a full day riding with no issue.  I had a small issue with the little cover over the charging plate coming off.  Contacted the inventor/owner who was more than helpful and sent me one quickly.  

I think there are worse drivers in WI than FL, and if I'm in traffic, I actually move my head a bit to activate the light!  My wife is in favor of any kind of light addition to be seen.  On my Schuberth C4 I don't notice the added weight is a problem.  

• Like 2

On another note, I did a fly and ride from WI to RI for this R1250RT.   I flew from O'hare, and showed up in the airport with full gear, carrying my helmet.  I was prepared for the full treatment/pat down/strip/whatever.  The agent was a rider more interested in the Brake Free light and he asked me all about it!   Best trip through security ever!

A local friend has been using it for a while now and during Black Friday, they had a special going so another friend and I bought the Brake Free Light.

I think it helps with keeping some of the tail gates at bay. But as always nothing is fool proof.

• Like 3
Janky59

I’ve been using mine for, 2-3 years. I saw it on Shark Tank, then my wife got one for my Christmas present that year. I bought an extra helmet mount to swap between helmets too.

In particular I like it for my commuting during the short daylight part of the year. I’ll take better visibility in urban traffic at sunset or later anytime.

You’re bothered by it when you’re behind me ?  Tough, pass me then.

I get 2 or so weeks (2 hours commute daily) out of a charge.

• Like 2

I wasn't aware of this gizmo. Before buying one, I have 3 questions. First, does it have a mode that the unit only lights up when decelerating? Does it light up when cornering, and hard-cornering? Hopefully not. And finally, does anybody have one on a Shoei GT Air (the first one, not the '2'), to see where it should be placed? Thanks. 

Dirtmerchant

@JCtx  I ordered the White Version and should be delivered soon.  

I asked their customer service about my Shoei RF1200 and they said: "For RF1200, your actually good with using just the universal mount, that's the thin one."  

I don't have a Shoei GT to compare to my RF but I use to have a GT Air II and I don't recall it having more curvature than my RF. They have a mode that two small bars remain lit and then the whole assembly lights when slowing. It is my understand that it will not trigger by cornering or turning your head.  VIDEO linked below, lots more on YouTube. 

Lastly, they will be coming out with a USB C version soon, not sure of other changes. The price will go back up to $169.99 according to their post on FaceBook.  

Use the code CRUISEMAN for $10 discount. 

CruiseMan YouTube Video

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/19/2024 at 5:19 PM, Dirtmerchant said:

@JCtx  I ordered the White Version and should be delivered soon.

Hey, did you get a chance to try your unit? Curious about your opinion. Your testimonial would be greatly appreciated. Debating if I want to order one or not, since I don't commute. Thank you.