IGNORED

Perf your own leathers?

chrisz

Hi all,

I have a pair of leather pants that I can't ride in warmer weather due to the heat, and was wandering if anyone tried perforating any motorcycle leather garment, if so, how and what were the results?

I have a leather punch that I use when I need to add a snap fastener or two, and so could use it to punch a dozen or so holes in areas not usually exposed to road rash. eek.gif

I tried it on an old pair of deerskin gloves and they look like crap. blush.gif

My wife calls them my "Goober Gloves". dopeslap.gif

You can send them to a leather shop and have it done, but I wouldn't do it yourself. Also, most leathers have a material inner by the crotch and inner thigh for stretch and air. My one-piece is perforated, but only down to the top of the thigh. Full perf is more expensive.

BereIsland

Hi, I think it would be very difficult to do what you propose, the holes on perforated leather are very small and of a uniform pattern, it would be very easy to get the holes too large and close together, you could end with P.S.S. (Postage Stamp Syndrome)they could easily tear along the line of the holes in an accident. I have seen leather jacket tear when the stitches are too small, same problem.

Steve Carter

Hi all,

I have a pair of leather pants that I can't ride in warmer weather due to the heat, and was wandering if anyone tried perforating any motorcycle leather garment, if so, how and what were the results?

I have a leather punch that I use when I need to add a snap fastener or two, and so could use it to punch a dozen or so holes in areas not usually exposed to road rash. eek.gif

Come to Oakland CA. They have some youngsters who have perferators.

Will 9mm do? And they can do it driving by...

wink.gif

Come to Oakland CA. They have some youngsters who have perferators.

Will 9mm do? And they can do it driving by...

That's just sad frown.gif

Thanks for some good comments regarding my original inquiry. I'll just drop the idea.

Later,

wink.gif

I am in the same boat as you Chris. I have a great pair of leathers that I have to put away for the summer.

I just got a good deal on a set of leathers from a company called newenough.com. Seems like a pretty good place and I will write up my recommendation.

I think it is a good idea to have a summer and winter set of riding gear anyway (at least I tell my wife that!).

AdventurePoser

Yep, you can do it. I did mine with this custom leather tool:

20207.jpg

Good luck!

Steve in So Cal

Archived