IGNORED

Replace Battery 2018RT

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

I have the original 2018 RT (which I believe is really a 2017) battery on a trickle charger until Spring and now I'm thinking why even mess around with such a short riding season and the chance it will fail. So I want to replace it. Sometimes, an aftermarket battery that says it will fit is a little off. Usually, that would not concern me but getting the battery back on this model and year is a pretty tight fit so I want to be sure the replacement will slip in there. I would appreciate your recommendations on a replacement battery.

Many thanks.

• Plus 1 1

I ordered the Yuasa and it never came. I ordered the motocross made by yuasa and they gave me a date 2 weeks out and it never came. In the other thread I ordered the battery Dirtmerchant recommended. It came right away and fit like a charm. It has an advantage in that it has post on both sides making it easy to keep your main cables on one side and accessories like charge cables on the other side. The second terminals have covers on them if you don’t need them

I can’t give a performance rating yet as only had it a month.  Motobatt 

• Plus 1 1

Bob, just for reference, according to BMW's record, the battery on my 2018 RT was replaced by the dealer at 30 months.  (The bike was uncrated in June 2018, in service May 2019, so maybe it sat around for a year uncharged, which shortened the life of the battery.)

Anyhow, 36 months is the average duration before I've replaced my AGM batteries, symptoms or no.  I just HATE pushing these bikes, and I LOVE immediate, one-push-button starts. 🤣   

So, if the current battery is about 12 months old (and it probably sat unused for at least 4 months before I got it), I've got it on a trickle charger now, so my guess is Spring 2024 will be my target for replacing the current battery, though it would probably be good for a year or two beyond that.   Also, the very last thing I want to do with this model bike, is to do anything that might stress, or otherwise offend the alternator or stator. 🙄

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

I installed this battery, that @Boxflyer recommended. Rechargeable YTX20CH-BS Chrome Pro High Performance Power Sports Battery - Replacement Jet Ski. 
It slipped right in with no problem. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XGZK81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_THGZKEMPT2ZG5RZHK3TB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just for someone reading this thread in five years, after the Amazon link is long dead, you purchased:

"Chrome Pro YTX20CH-BS Maintenance Free Replacement Battery for ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, and Snowmobile: 12 Volts, 1.8 Amps, 18Ah, Nut and Bolt (T3) Terminal"

Good to know!  👍

• Like 1

Thanks all. Will go with the Yuasa -- have been pleased with their performance in the past. No need to order for a while. Wind chill -8 right now. 

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Just for someone reading this thread in five years, after the Amazon link is long dead, you purchased:

"Chrome Pro YTX20CH-BS Maintenance Free Replacement Battery for ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, and Snowmobile: 12 Volts, 1.8 Amps, 18Ah, Nut and Bolt (T3) Terminal"

Good to know!  👍

Yes, I did. I forgot that links die. The nice thing is the battery had no stickers or labels, very plain. 🤣

Dirtmerchant
On 1/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, MichiganBob said:

Thanks all. Will go with the Yuasa -- have been pleased with their performance in the past. No need to order for a while. Wind chill -8 right now. 

@MichiganBobIf you need the battery sooner than later you may want to confirm with the retailer that it is in stock. I spoke to an engineer at Yuasa a couple months ago who told me they can't get people to work due to the payments they are getting to stay home. He said the office staff is keeping the line going to build batteries to supply manufactures, probably have contracts to fulfill. He also said the "Motorcross" brand is exactly the same and comes across the same line if you can find one with that "brand".

Let us know what you come up with, hopefully this crap will resolve before too long. 

Thanks Rod, I was wondering about the "Motorcross" brand as it was coming up in a few places where I was searching for a Yuasa.

Whichever battery you purchase, take a minute to view one of several videos available to demonstrate replacing the plastic battery cover. This has vexed many a wethead rider, including me.

Here's one: 

Boxflyers short video on how to reattach that piece kept me from breaking my NewYear promise to reduce swearing..... plus a bunch of time.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I remember getting some forum help the last time I put the battery back after a long frustrating struggle. Ironic in that I was so glad to have a side access battery after my 02 access called for so much removal of stuff. Can't remember what my 2012 was like. 

Without doubt Rinkydink. I've been wrenching for more than half a century and could not believe how this ridiculous annoying little component stumped me. More startling was the ease of fix. Why didn't I think of that? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, MichiganBob said:

Without doubt Rinkydink. I've been wrenching for more than half a century and could not believe how this ridiculous annoying little component stumped me. More startling was the ease of fix. Why didn't I think of that? 

I’ve been putting off rerouting my charging pigtail just because I didn’t want to fool with it again. Almost time for a new battery so I’m going in soon.