IGNORED

R1200RT vibration (buzz)

ronald

My first post and I have a question. I have a r1200rt( that I love) and recently had the Dealer perform the 6000 mi service. After service I immediatly noticed an engine vibration or buzz particularly in the handlebars. At first I thought it was just me feeling overly sensitive but after a few hundred miles it started to annoy me. I returned to dealer and he checked for loose spark plug wires and test rode finding nothing abnormal. My question has anyone had a similar experience or know of any adjustments made during the 6000 mi service that might cause this symptom?

It is definitly coming from engine and there is no other symptoms such as lack of power etc.

Vibration might be coming from tires, i had pilot roads on RT and just put on road attacks, these tires make no noise at all, just an idea

They blew the TB Sync. Take it back again and insist they get it right.

I would have to agree. My 12RT was getting a little rough just prior to its 600 mile service @ 1000 smiles smile.gif Got it back on Friday and it's hard to believe it only has two cyclinders, it is that smooth.

Mine didn't seem to vibrate any more after the 600 miles service but it certainly doesn't run exactly the same. Within the first 5 minutes of starting the bike, it will stumble momentarily when opening the throttle partly. If I don't give it more gas than necessary it will stall from time to time until it's warmed up.

It's been about 2k miles since the 600 miles service and it's not going away. It's not so bad that I can't ride (I do every day) but it makes me think the throttle body is not correctly adjusted. Is it difficult to adjust the TB well? If not, why do so many techs have a hard time getting it right.

Thanks everyone for the input. I took my bike back to the dealer today. After a lot of questions that might suggest that I was imagining the vibration they reluctantly agreed to take a look. If anyone has anymore technical info for me I would love to hear it, as I have a feeling I'm not done with the problem.

Based on six years of riding an R1100RSL I'd have to say it sounds like either they misadjusted the valves or didn't synchronize the throttle bodies correctly. Since your vibration started after the service it's unlikely to be related to tires, steering head bearings, or any of the other sources as they would have been present before the service. Tell your dealer that the adjustments were not done properly and if they balk, find another shop to work with. Alternatively buy yourself an electronic synchronizer and a set of high quality feeler guages and learn to do the work yourself. It's only hard the first time. Good luck.

Does anybody ever find, that the amount of vibration varies from ride to ride and with your mental state.

Somedays my 12RT is the smoothest bike ever, and then 200 miles later, when I'm working her hard and I'm tired, it feels vibey and under powered.

So true ! Had this same feeling yesterday. New 1200RT felt "agricultural" Rides great but compared to my ST 1300 V4 (traded it for RT) the engine lacks power and torque. Clutch action and tall first gear ration drive me crazy.

Hello K1200GT !

So true ! Had this same feeling yesterday. New 1200RT felt "agricultural" Rides great but compared to my ST 1300 V4 (traded it for RT) the engine lacks power and torque. Clutch action and tall first gear ration drive me crazy.

Hello K1200GT !

Don't do anything rash. I ride an ST1300 for work and the RT's far superior. The ST can vibe when worked and over a distance the vibes on STs become quite intrusive and often lead to a numbness in the fingers (JMHO).

Does anybody ever find, that the amount of vibration varies from ride to ride and with your mental state.

Somedays my 12RT is the smoothest bike ever, and then 200 miles later, when I'm working her hard and I'm tired, it feels vibey and underpowered.

Absolutely. The way my R1150R feels varies greatly. I ride to work almost every day, and rarely does the motor feel the same on the afternoon ride home as it did on the morning ride to work. My old four-cylinder ZR550 always seemed the same in terms of vibration and power.

I've had both an R11RT & R12RT. The both seemed to vibrate more in the morning than the afternoon. Think it's me?

Real vibration problems always seemed to be related to throttle-body sync issues.

Archived