IGNORED

Pros and Cons of 2004 R1150 RT

Rick W2123

I am looking to purchase a 2004 R 1150 RT for my first BMW sport cruiser, Any opinions and suggestions on the bike would be helpful, I am not a mechanic and am looking for a solid bike, This bike has 22k on it and they are asking $4200.00 is this a good deal or should I shop around.

A little high IMO. But, if it’s pristine and the supply is low in your area I guess it is what it is.

I just posted in the Craigslist find of the day thread a 2010 RT with 5,000 miles for five grand. It didn’t last very long.

Pros: Likely one of the best looking bikes made. The 2004 ( and the few 2005's they made) R 1150 RT is the best mechanically of the 1100-1150 series. 

Cons: Likely still one of the most likely to need repair BMW motorcycles. From final drive bearing issues to ABS system problems they CAN need serious mechanical attention. That said, they also can lead to some of the most fulfilling work and learning experiences with other BMW owners. They are not too complicated to work on, but they do take patience ( if for no other reason than the task of properly removing body panels and learning the proper brake flush procedure). Don't really need expensive tools. That bike is now approaching 20 years old. Nothing good comes from that, so be prepared to work on ANYTHING that old.

Summary: Price may not be too high...IF you want that model with low miles. Low miles are good...but was the maintenance kept up. Especially on the braking system as that will be expensive to repair. My advice is to pass. Look for a newer RT. From 2010 and up. I think you might find them in a price range that you can be happy with. I would take a 70,000 mile 2010 over the 2004 with 22K and feel better off reliability wise. 

100% what Terry said...and I owned a maintenance free 2005 1150 RT.  The ABS Braking system has high potential of going bad if it has not been properly maintained. If the ABS goes out you pretty much have zero braking until you address the issue.  There are only two cures for that issue.  Remove the ABS system which is a pretty good job or replace/rebuild the ABS module which can be a few hundred dollars on a rebuild that might take a few months in que or to pay $2500 for a new one.  The other issue as Terry pointed out is they are somewhat prone to having the final drive go bad.  Another pretty good size job.

None of that means the one you are looking at would have those problems.  If you are pretty serious about it, then I recommend you post here approximately where you are.  It's most likely an experienced BMW person lives near by and would help you with an evaluation of the bike.  The final drive check is pretty easy to do. The ABS not so much.

Personally, I loved mine.  I traded it in when the new wetheads came out in 2014 and I love it too.  Glad to help if I can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Perfect example of a bike you don't want at any price, even free. There's an old adage, 'there's nothing more expensive than a cheap German car", it applies to bikes too. Find a nice one and pay a fair price/market value. That sounds like a nice one at a good price but because it's a dealer I'd inquire how or where they got it, ie auction. trade in, etc.

Personally I think it's a great bike (bought one new) and liked it better than the later 1200's. The power brakes being the only downside (driveshaft issues are a small percentage and no more problematic than 1100's or 1200's) because of lack of maintenance but the counter to that is power assisted linked brakes will save your bacon in a panic stop, I'm living proof of it : ) 

It's the last (full) year for the 1150 combined with being the best looking touring bike BMW has ever made and the fact they've stopped depreciating means it will gradually begin to appreciate in value, it takes awhile for German stuff but it's inevitable.    

• Like 1

I had an 02 RT for many years that was solid. I put in a lot of 500 mile days on it, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row heading up to Alaska and back down the West coast. The big ticket item was the clutch slave cyllinder that went belly up and ruined my dry clutch. I found out after that about drilling weep holes in the cyllinder as well as getting a replacement from Beemer Boneyard that is known to have good reliability. I replaced it myself with a lot of help from the good folks on the forum and some youtubes. I put on speed bleeders so that I could frequently change brake fluid with minimal effort. Did not want that scary ABS controller unit to go bad. It did not. Also had to shim the front seat up in case I was interested in having more children someday. I'm not. Put on a big fat CEE Bailey windshield for my touring needs. 

Happy New Year.

If the 04 has the same ABS controller that my 02 had, it's a bucket load of speed bleeders. I forgot exactly but I think it was 12 total for the unit and wheels.

Don’t know the answer to that but I had an 02 and 04, the 02 had overly sensitive brakes whereas the 04’s were much easier to modulate, bordering on normal feeling.

Hard to beat a well maintained Camhead even though you’ll have to pay more. I’d been far ahead to have kept mine but my oh my new BMW candy is always tempting. 

4 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Hard to beat a well maintained Camhead

Yes sir!! 2010 thru 2013 are the best deal in used RT's right now..... wouldn't even mess with an 1150......:java:

As much as I liked my 02RT,  my 12RT was superior in every way. If the price point is right for you, it's a fabulous bike. 

I'm still having fun on my '04 RT - mostly communting, but also a few trips every year.  Got it at 14K miles and now 74K.  I've experienced some of the known gremlins for this year, but not all.  Only one major event that stranded me.  I'd like to think I've kept some issues at bay with decent preventive measures and maintenance, but at the same time I've read enough on this forum that I won't be totally surprised or blindsided if something comes up.  As mentioned, the peril of living with a piece of machinery that's almost 20 years old.  I'm a decent wrench, and honestly I enjoy digging in and learning about the bike.  If that's not your thing, keep your wallet well stocked.  My 4-wheeled vehicles are similar vintage, so you could say I'm afflicted, but at the same time, I find that there has always been someone that's "gone before me" with a similar issue or problem (on a forum or YouTube) to provide all the guidance I've needed to get the job done. (a good manual helps, too).  To that end, this forum is the absolute best.  No better people than the ones who hang out here.

I loved my silver '04 RT.  Best looking bike BMW ever made.  I sold it and got an '07 RT.  I got used to the different look and actually started to like it.  What that bike had over the '04 was simple creature comforts like electronic cruise and easier suspension adjustments.  

Someone else noted a 2010-2013 years model.  You won't go wrong there.  If you can find something like that at a price you're comfortable with, I'd do that.  You may not think you'll need / use those things, but you'll find you do.  Best of luck.