IGNORED

Am I missing a cover on this electrical component?

VaR1200RT

I had the side covers off my bike a 2012 R1200 RT. This is looking on the left side above the throttlebody housing up underneath the gas tank. I am not sure what this part is but it looks like there should be a cover on it. Any help is appreciatedI am not sure what this part is but it looks like there should be a cover on it. Any help is appreciated

780676C0-157E-4DB8-9DFF-0C8597C13163.jpeg

282EDFA8-92A4-4588-AF24-5D85CF845DCA.jpeg

I do all my own service and I have never had the gas tank off.  The dealer did replace the fuel pump under a recall in July.  Would they have worked in this area?  It looks like those wires should be covered and not exposed. 

The part you are concerned about and pictured is the Brake Pressure Modulator, sometimes referred to as the ABS Pump. Unfortunately, although I have had my own Fuel Tank removed before I can't recall seeing the wiring arrangement as shown in your pictures. There are some pictures of the above unit which show a large multi pin plug and socket arrangement at the same location.

More investigation is required.

After further investigation and speaking to another RT owner we are now both of the opinion that the wiring to the ABS Pump as shown in your pictures is correct. The wiring shown actually terminates in a male multi pin plug which is shown inserted into the female socket of the ABS Control unit. Agreed, it does look the most tidy of installations, but nothing to worry about.

47 minutes ago, Our Gee said:

After further investigation and speaking to another RT owner we are now both of the opinion that the wiring to the ABS Pump as shown in your pictures is correct. The wiring shown actually terminates in a male multi pin plug which is shown inserted into the female socket of the ABS Control unit. Agreed, it does look the most tidy of installations, but nothing to worry about.

Thanks. I was concerned when I saw all the wires exposed.  I was wondering if the wiring has a cover.  There is no cover on mine. Thanks

Edited by VaR1200RT
12 hours ago, VaR1200RT said:

I had the side covers off my bike a 2012 R1200 RT. This is looking on the left side above the throttlebody housing up underneath the gas tank. I am not sure what this part is but it looks like there should be a cover on it. Any help is appreciatedI am not sure what this part is but it looks like there should be a cover on it. Any help is appreciated

Morning  VaR1200RT

It's not as bad as it looks as BMW uses sealed wire terminals on that connector. Same as on other uncovered electrical connectors & same as a lot of modern automobiles. (little rubber seals around wire at terminals prevent moisture entry). 

20013 wire harness.jpg