IGNORED

The Rogue Warrior has passed

Rougarou

The first CO of SEAL team six.

Richard Marcinko

If you've not read any of his books, start with Rogue Warrior, his bravado biography.  Also, if you recall the first "Survivor" show, Rudy, is mentioned in the book and he was a bonifide hardass during the transition from UDT's to SeALs. 

RIP, Mr. Marcinko.  There was a lot of his bioagraphy that will go without being mentioned.   God speed, sir.   Fair winds and following seas in the after life.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

The first CO of SEAL team six.

Richard Marcinko

If you've not read any of his books, start with Rogue Warrior, his bravado biography.  Also, if you recall the first "Survivor" show, Rudy, is mentioned in the book and he was a bonifide hardass during the transition from UDT's to SeALs. 

RIP.  Men like Dick Marcinko couldn't make it with the perfumed princes who run "my Navy" today.    They started filtering out the warriors beginning with Tailhook. 

(Aside:  My first "all hands Wardroom Meeting" in the PI was at a brothel called "New Jolos".  My C.O. and X.O. were hard-ass Vietnam combat vets, and unfortunately, the girls there at that point, appeared to be, too.  After the mandatory appearance and standard antics of the quite-worn-&-older-ladies, the younger officers and married men were allowed to quietly depart to more ... ahem... appropriate venues.  That would NEVER happen in today's Navy, and the Navy less combat ready for it.  Not that a wartime Navy needs their men wh*ring around the world, but because those men were not living in fear of their shadows due to D.C. overreach.  They were MEN who commanded MEN, independently made the necessary command decisions, eagerly went in harms way, and did what military men were trained to do down range.  Today's US Navy gets men killed because they can't navigate their ships or ground units out of a paper sack.  /rant)

Again, RIP, and "Fair winds and following seas....", shipmate.

"Demo" Dick was the type of warrior you wanted when it absolutely positively had to get done.  HIs biography was a good read on how Seal Team 6 came about and there's some leadership lessons in there.  I also enjoyed the Red Cell book.  As good as he was on the battlefield or building a Team from scratch, he was also the brash no holds barred guy that is no longer wanted when not at war.  People forget you can't have it both ways.  God bless his soul and I am thankful for his insight and service.

• Like 1

During my corporate short 42 year career I was fortunate to have  several Navy Seals and a few Rangers work for me.  I have to to you (see motto below), if I asked them to do something, no matter how difficult, I could just rest easy the job would get done without one ounce of bitching and all the professionalism I could imagine.  

RIP Marcinko

I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission.

I also read his book, "Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior."  Thought they might be helpful at the police department I worked at.  Turns out, as Scott noted, the higher ups don't want change or to suddenly be accountable to the people they are supposed to lead.  I embraced the principles, personally, to put them into place at an organization that doesn't want to change can be painful.  

Rest in Peace, Good Sir.