IGNORED

Aux power port at steering head

Redman

I saw something somewhere about a stock power port of some sort that fits right at the steering neck by center of handle bars.

I don’t know enough of what to call it to be able to look for it.

anybody point me in the right direction…..?

I think it is a stock part number. Don’t recall if is already aux power wired to there, or if have to wire it to power somewhere. Don’t recall if it is the bmw power port or if it is usb or other.

It is a plug, factory wired to power up and down like the power outlets.  It was designed to power a GPS, though you can power any load of 10 amps or less.  All you need is another connection plug (I believe the part number is 83300413585, ~$20) and you're in business.  I use it on my '06 RT to power my Garmin Zumo 595, works fine though I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't power down after ~30 seconds like it's supposed to.  I haven't tracked down why just yet...

11 hours ago, Redman said:

I saw something somewhere about a stock power port of some sort that fits right at the steering neck by center of handle bars.

I don’t know enough of what to call it to be able to look for it.

anybody point me in the right direction…..?

I think it is a stock part number. Don’t recall if is already aux power wired to there, or if have to wire it to power somewhere. Don’t recall if it is the bmw power port or if it is usb or other.

Morning Redman

It's called a 83300413585 repair plug 3-pin (not cheap from BMW), your 1200RT has a matching 3pin  connector taped up near the  steering neck. One wire is low (basically ground), center wire is speed output (not used for anything useful on a civilian RT), remaining wire is computer controlled 12v B+. 

Some riders  do use that B+ & ground  for GPS operation but seeing as it is computer controlled it is on the same circuit as the factory power outlets. So it is part of the max (combined)  load those outlets can handle (5 amps max for all power outlets on the early 1200RT's & 10 amps max for all power outlets on the later 1200RT's). Usually still plenty for a light use GPS usage even with some heated gear plugged into a factory power port. 

Personally I don't like to use that 3 pin (steering neck)  connector for GPS power as it is computer controlled so has a delay at key-off shut down but also can shut the GPS down at gas stops or rest stops.  Personally I like continuity in my GPS tracks & routes so typically like my GPS to stay on continually during day riding trips or at least stay on throughout a full day of riding.

The other problem that c-a-n occur with some GPS units is that a turned-off GPS can automatically restart after the shut-off delay that can bring the (turned-off) GPS back on automatically using it's internal  battery power. (older Zumo's were noted for this).

If you typically remove your GPS at lunch breaks or overnight then not a big deal but if you leave your GPS on the motorcycle & connected then it is something to think about.  

13 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Redman

It's called a 83300413585 repair plug 3-pin (not cheap from BMW), your 1200RT has a matching 3pin  connector taped up near the  steering neck. .

Will look for that connector.

So, that part number 83300413585

Part Number   Description lb Each
 83300413585 ArrowDown.png  REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 611656 0.03  $16.58ADD TO CART
Function: 3-pin for LED of anti-theft alarm, optional-accessories plug (device end). Can-bus plug that allows you to splice to a GPS power cord and connect to switched power on your Can-bus model. Middle not used, RH wire is power, LH wire is ground.
Part Thumbnail Part Thumbnail 

is a conector and what might call "flying leads" that I could put whatever other connector I might want.

Will look for that connector.

So, that part number 83300413585
is a conector and what might call "flying leads" that I could put whatever other connector I might want.

Morning Redman

Most don't actually add ANOTHER connector to this connector, they just make a direct GPS harness connection to the  2 outer leads of this repair connector's pigtails. This repair connector uses the same wire colors on all 3 wires so use the wire colors on the motorcycle side as a reference. Brown is ground, Blue/Green not used, Red/White is 12v B+.