IGNORED

spark plug socket

IdahoArtie

Can anyone tell me what size spark plug socket I need for my 2010 RT?  I know it has to be thin and able to go deep.  None of mine work and the bike didn't come with one in the kit under the seat so I'm lost on size.

Thanks.

I use a standard Craftsman spark plug socket on my '06,.....dunno where the "thin" requirement is coming from, I know I didn't buy anything special and it slides right in.  I believe I'm using a 5/8" socket,.....will have to wait until I get home to verify.  Quite similar to the 2019 GSA, no special socket that I used.

55 minutes ago, IdahoArtie said:

Can anyone tell me what size spark plug socket I need for my 2010 RT?  I know it has to be thin and able to go deep.  None of mine work and the bike didn't come with one in the kit under the seat so I'm lost on size.

Thanks.

Morning  IdahoArtie

You do need a thin walled deep socket.

A 9/16" thin walled deep m-i-g-h-t work (at least for removal) as 9/16" is about 14.3mm 

2010-2013 1200RT.jpg

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  IdahoArtie

You do need a thin walled deep socket.

A 9/16" thin walled deep m-i-g-h-t work (at least for removal) as 9/16" is about 14.3mm 

2010-2013 1200RT.jpg

That's what it says, but that's not what I use

NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug (DCPR8EKP)

image.thumb.png.19fec565fc9ba392bb9b76a6a394d8a4.png

5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That's what it says, but that's not what I use

NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug (DCPR8EKP) 

Morning Rougarou 

That -NGK DCPR8EKP (NGK DCPR8EKC) sounds like you are working on a hexhead not a camhead motorcycle are you sure that you are using the NGK DCPR8EKP in a 2010-2013 camhead motorcycle? 

10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou 

That -NGK DCPR8EKP (NGK DCPR8EKC) sounds like you are working on a hexhead not a camhead motorcycle are you sure that you are using the NGK DCPR8EKP in a 2010-2013 camhead motorcycle? 

Ya, it's a hex, not a cam.

But for the 2019 GSA, I still don't use a thin walled socket, just a standard Craftsman socket.

My error on the plug choice

27 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

But for the 2019 GSA, I still don't use a thin walled socket, just a standard Craftsman socket.

Morning Rougarou 

Correct, but your 2019 doesn't have tight access lower spark plugs either. 

5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou 

Correct, but your 2019 doesn't have tight access lower spark plugs either. 

The '06 doesn't seem to have the tight lower access either.  So, wonder why the squeeze with the Cam's

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The '06 doesn't seem to have the tight lower access either.  So, wonder why the squeeze with the Cam's

Morning Rougarou 

They can vary a bit but I can't get a thick wall 6 point (all the way on) on the lowers of either of my hexheads. A thicker wall socket will sort of go part way on & the 12 point sockets will usually go on farther. A thinner wall fits all with full engagement.  

1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou 

They can vary a bit but I can't get a thick wall 6 point (all the way on) on the lowers of either of my hexheads. A thicker wall socket will sort of go part way on & the 12 point sockets will usually go on farther. A thinner wall fits all with full engagement.  

I'll take video next plug change

Thanks all.  Just making a list for my first winter maintenance on this new to me 2010.  Sounds like 14mm will work so need to add it to my list.

• 1 month later...