IGNORED

Dealer Customer Service

Rinkydink

I was perusing Facebook on the “Long Distance Motorcycle Riding” group page yesterday morning. A gentleman from Pittsburgh posted he was coming thru central Arkansas on his brand new HD Pan American. I struck up a conversation with him about avoiding I-40 between Memphis and LR due to rain predictions and 18 wheelers. Gave him some calmer alternate routes and good lunch suggestions along those routes. We became quick friends and talked thru the day. I checked on him that evening and he informed me he stopped for gas and bike wouldn’t turn over and he was calling local dealer as of course bike was still under warranty. Before the dealer could come tow him he got the bike started. He rode to dealer and they comped him a room at the Hilton Inn! I’m just an old country bumpkin residing out in the sticks of Arkansas but I’ve never heard of a dealer going to these lengths. You read mostly negative reviews online so I just thought I’d give props to said dealer. Rock City HD went above and beyond IMO. I’m sure they get a deal on the room and HD corporate may chip in a bit but just wow. Has anyone ever experienced this with any dealer? Now the rider is just hoping it’s an easy fix and doesn’t require a back ordered part to repair so he can make his destination for Christmas. There are still some good people out there…

• Like 5

I don't know about the hotel room. But I have talked with many Harley riders ( the real ones, not the fake ones ) that ride longer distances. H-D Dealer service is the best there is. Better than any Automotive brand I can think of. I have seen signs on Service department doors with "emergency" phone numbers. Meaning sunday even. A few years back we talked with a guy that was riding through Louisiana. Rear wheel bearing went out. Limped to a Harley dealer. Not under warranty mind you, and the right parts not in stock. Screwed up the wheel itself. Technician found a wheel somewhere that was a takeoff ( no doubt for a performance chrome upgrade ) and they fitted that wheel and some bearings to his bike to continue trip. Way after closing time to complete. We were in Colorado when we spoke. 

While the current H-D Touring platform does not interest me, If they had one that I could live with the Dealer Service would sway me that way over similar products. 

• Like 2

A good friend of mine is a diehard HD guy.  He was here visiting a few years ago.  We went to my garage to riding the next morning.  A big puddle of fluid was on the floor under his bike.  His bike was out of warranty by about a year.  They said his transmission was shot and leaking.  They told him it would be about $1500 to get back on the road.  He was devastated.  I asked if they could give him some consideration since this was his 11th HD he had bought new.....Hmmm she went to the back, came up, and said...due to your loyalty to the brand, we will take care of it.  This was on a Saturday morning.  They said we probably can't finish today, but we will call you Sunday when done.  They gave him a loaner, we enjoyed our day, and Sunday morning about 10:00 they called and said it's ready, no charge for a new transmission.

I'm with Terry...if they made a bike that suited my riding desires, they would get my business too.

• Like 1

The road assistance is a big selling point for HD. I had a nail in a tire on a trip out west, babied it to the dealer in Helena, they got me in right away, new tire, and had me on my way in an hour.

My brother had an issue with a blown cam cover gasket on a Saturday day ride, same story, limped to a local dealer, they gave him a loaner on the spot, no charge, and had it fixed Monday morning, a $100 fix and new bike to ride for a couple days.

HD has dealers everywhere, BMW not so much.

7 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I was perusing Facebook on the “Long Distance Motorcycle Riding” group page yesterday morning. A gentleman from Pittsburgh posted he was coming thru central Arkansas on his brand new HD Pan American. I struck up a conversation with him about avoiding I-40 between Memphis and LR due to rain predictions and 18 wheelers. Gave him some calmer alternate routes and good lunch suggestions along those routes. We became quick friends and talked thru the day. I checked on him that evening and he informed me he stopped for gas and bike wouldn’t turn over and he was calling local dealer as of course bike was still under warranty. Before the dealer could come tow him he got the bike started. He rode to dealer and they comped him a room at the Hilton Inn! I’m just an old country bumpkin residing out in the sticks of Arkansas but I’ve never heard of a dealer going to these lengths. You read mostly negative reviews online so I just thought I’d give props to said dealer. Rock City HD went above and beyond IMO. I’m sure they get a deal on the room and HD corporate may chip in a bit but just wow. Has anyone ever experienced this with any dealer? Now the rider is just hoping it’s an easy fix and doesn’t require a back ordered part to repair so he can make his destination for Christmas. There are still some good people out there…

Afternoon Rinkydink

BMW also has a trip interruption reimbursement program for motorcycles still under warranty.  

I'm not sure how it compares to the Harley plan but BMW does offer it as a part of new bike ownership. 

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/roadside-assistance.html

Quote: 

"TRIP INTERRUPTION BENEFITS.
Trip interruption benefits are provided for mechanical breakdowns as follows:

Breakdowns must be caused by a defect covered under the terms of the limited warranty.
Must occur in excess of 100 miles from the owner’s primary residence.
Repairs that cannot be completed during normal business hours on the same day of breakdown.
Breakdowns caused by flat tires or accidents do not qualify for trip interruption benefits.  

Reimbursements will be allowed for meals, lodging, car/motorcycle rentals, and alternate transportation to bring the rider and the BMW motorcycle or scooter together after the vehicle has been repaired by an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer. Original receipts must accompany all reimbursement requests.  Trip interruption benefit is limited to $1,000.00 per incident, for expenses incurred a maximum of five days after the breakdown and roadside service date. Always contact your BMW Motorrad dealer for instructions how to submit for trip interruption benefit claims. They will assist in confirming eligibility and can submit the request directly to BMW". 

The BIG limiting factor with BMW is the chronic lack of motorcycle dealerships in some areas of the country. 

The dealer found an HD software update that hadn’t been done on the bike. Fixed it right up. The owner told me that is the reason he picked HD. Solely on the dealer network. Wish BMW had more. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

The dealer found an HD software update that hadn’t been done on the bike. Fixed it right up. The owner told me that is the reason he picked HD. Solely on the dealer network. Wish BMW had more. 

Afternoon Rinkydink

BMW will do the same thing as the updates will show when dealer computer is connected. 

But it would be nice if BMW would allow firmware updates to be  GS-911 accessed & installed.

Or better yet allow simple at home updates over WiFi by the motorcycle owner (just like on many new automobiles). 

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Rinkydink

BMW will do the same thing as the updates will show when dealer computer is connected. 

But it would be nice if BMW would allow firmware updates to be  GS-911 accessed & installed.

Or better yet allow simple at home updates over WiFi by the motorcycle owner (just like on many new automobiles). 

Yes, I am 295 miles from the closest dealer. It really sucks for warranty work or firmware updates etc. There is a dealer closer (140 miles) but while it will remain nameless I prefer the other one. 

@dirtrider, you know I like my BMW. This Wethead has been my best bike ever. 

BUT...just like you mentioned BMW would require every receipt and every condition that could apply to qualify you. I have no doubt that they would DISqualify you over small details. Which is fine, as that is what their contract promises. HD seems to take care of the rider first, then worry about the other stuff. Never heard any feedback on having to fill out paperwork with details like you mention on warranty bikes with the few HD guys I know. That don't mean it doesn't happen. In my opinion it comes down to attitude. BMW is "how dare you claim the bike is at fault", HD is "how can we best get you taken care of". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to rub it in, rarely do HD riders get to do that, but the dealer is 10 miles away, another 25 miles away, one 50 miles away, and my favorite 60 miles away, and one more the other way 60 miles. Kind of rich with dealers around here. Many more within a hundred miles no matter which direction I ride.

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

100% agree.  It could also save the mfg from paying dealer labor

The Garmin GPS in my boat does that. I’ll be motoring along and I’ll get a note on the screen software update available. Hit Yes or no. It is delivered via an app on my phone which is Wi-Fi and connected to the GPS via its network

Maybe the dealers lobby against this due to lost warranty labor

1 hour ago, realshelby said:

@dirtrider, you know I like my BMW. This Wethead has been my best bike ever. 

BUT...just like you mentioned BMW would require every receipt and every condition that could apply to qualify you. I have no doubt that they would DISqualify you over small details. Which is fine, as that is what their contract promises. HD seems to take care of the rider first, then worry about the other stuff. Never heard any feedback on having to fill out paperwork with details like you mention on warranty bikes with the few HD guys I know. That don't mean it doesn't happen. In my opinion it comes down to attitude. BMW is "how dare you claim the bike is at fault", HD is "how can we best get you taken care of". 

I dunno.  When I was buying the HP4, the service manager said BMW was great with warranty work.  He had a customer blow a RR engine and BMW replaced it, no questions asked.  At least, that's what that particular service manager told me.  He did say they ran the 'puter and found the owner exceeded redline by a few thousand, the RR redlines at 14.5ish.  Hearsay, secondhand smoke, but that's all I got to go off of for BMW warranty work.

3 hours ago, realshelby said:

HD seems to take care of the rider first

As long as you don't go into Hell's Canyon HD in Lewiston, Idaho with a badly slipping clutch due to a shifter arm falling off and being stuck in third for the last 60 miles.

Couldn't be more put out being asked by two out of towners for help repairing their product. Too busy to do anything at all.:dontknow:

Fortunately, my RT's extensive toolkit:rofl: and a tool store up the street got us limping out of town and 120 miles up the road to home. 

On 12/15/2021 at 5:43 PM, Rougarou said:

I dunno.  When I was buying the HP4, the service manager said BMW was great with warranty work.  He had a customer blow a RR engine and BMW replaced it, no questions asked.  At least, that's what that particular service manager told me.  He did say they ran the 'puter and found the owner exceeded redline by a few thousand, the RR redlines at 14.5ish.  Hearsay, secondhand smoke, but that's all I got to go off of for BMW warranty work.

Interesting...that he said that. In my experience the rev limiter won't allow much past redline. A few hundred rpm but not thousands.

I wish a friend of mine would post here about his GSA experience and warranty work needed on the driveline. Unbelievable story. I can say that BMW itself didn't get involved at first, this was all Dealer arrogance. 

But the subject of this post is Dealer network. How Dealers handle the concern at the point it comes to them. Seems HD Dealers jump right in and fix things. BMW dealers won't admit to or start working on anything much without calling home to BMW. That tells me that HD corporate BACKS their Dealers much better and allows autonomous decisions on after hours, weekend, or emergency repairs.