IGNORED

LS2 Valiant II Helmet

Scott9999

Anyone have experience with them, pro/con.  I like what I hear about it, and it seems to check all the marks on my list:

• Lightweight (< 4 lbs)
  • Low noise
  • Sun visor
  • Pinlock visor
  • Modular
  • Well made skull bucket

Pro's?

Con's?

(Yeah, I know that helmet fitment is an individual thing, and what works for one, may be awful for another.)

I have a Valiant, not the Valiant ll

Only downside I've found is if you use a comm set, you're limited to a certain type.

Don't know if they changed that on the new model or not.

Otherwise I like it.

Scott,

FWIW, I've had an LS2 Strobe (not the model you are asking about, I know), modular helmet for about 4 years.  I think it was $125 when I purchased it.  It was used until a Shoei Neotec II took its place two years ago ($650). Had zero complaints with the Strobe, just thought an upgrade was needed for some reason.  

I like to take things apart to see how they work and have disassembled both of these helmets much further than one is suppose to.  There is VERY LITTLE difference in features, materials, construction, design, quality, and performance between these two helmets.  Wasn't sure if I should be disappointed in the Shoei or impressed by the LS2 so I chose both.  

Both are for "Log Oval" head shapes and fit me well.  Got both at the local Cycle Gear shop.

11 hours ago, Joe Coastie said:

I have a Valiant, not the Valiant ll

Only downside I've found is if you use a comm set, you're limited to a certain type.

Don't know if they changed that on the new model or not.

Otherwise I like it.

Yeah, I read that the clip-on styles (re:  My new Cardo) won't work because the sun visor lever is along the same location intended for the bluetooth com device.  However, I've heard that these units (the Cardo does, at least) have alternative, stick on adhesive pads to circumvent that.   I've had a couple of helmets now, and they all have the sun visor lever on the left hand side, so that the rider can keep his/her right hand on the throttle, while lowering the shield.  (I guess they've never heard of cruise control. 😏)

I prefer both the inner sun shield as well as an attached bluetooth device, so I'd go the adhesive route.

There are 10,001 different helmet options, or so it seems, maybe only 5,001 of those modular helmets, and none are guaranteed to work for every rider, not even the $1000 jobs.  From reviews and description, this helmet sounds affordable and a decent option.  Going to Cyclegear and trying one on (my wife and myself included), sounds like a go, whenever we can get over to the next city.   The Valiant II is newer, more expensive, and there are more closeouts on the Valiant out there, but as always, closeouts are odd colors or sizes.  I'd like to keep the helmet budget down to $500 for both, which might be doable with Valient/Valiant II's on the discount shelf.   (One problem is that the local Cyclegear seems to be inventory challenged ... long trip just to look at their $600 to $1000 helmets, which seem to be the only reliable inventory they have in stock.🙄 )

Well, I got my wife into a shopping mood tonight (I just mentioned motorcycle CLOTHING, and she came right along). 🤣🤣🤣

Went to the local Cyclegear.  Like a dunce, I didn't notice that CG only carries LS2 helmets online, so the the trip was mostly in vain.   I looked at a Shubert C3 while I was there.  They were also promoting (pimping??)  Sedici's helmets, i.e "BOGO", buy one, get one at half price.  Since I'm buying a pair, that was incentive enough to take a peek.  They had Sedici Sistema II helmets, and we tried both their Carbon helmet and fiberglass/Kevlar helmets.  Both fit well, though the XL really fit about right, even though I'm L by the book.  My wife tried on a S, and it was snug, and she's an XS or XXS by measurements.   I know the pads break in and conform after a while, and I absolutely DO NOT want to buy too large, both for obvious safety reasons as well as comfort.  However, I think I'd buy a size up on these helmets.  Nothing particularly wrong with the fit, finished, or features, but I wasn't sold to the point of picking them up.   I like the Carbon helmets, but am dead set on high viz or white helmets for visibility reasons.  The Sedici's have D ring ties, and I prefer the metal quick release straps of the LS2 (of course, my wife does, too).

The Shubert C was OK as well.  No real opinion.   The problem (as I've already written, I believe), is that none of these choices will be certain until I've put some miles with my head in the bucket.   I admit that I'm over invested (or committed) to this LS2 helmet, and won't know if I'm going to regret it or not for a while.  I'll update when (and if) I buy it.

I did buy the older, Valient I model for my wife, which I found on sale at $179.  I couldn't argue with that price, it's totally returnable via Amazon, and .... ahem .... my wife won't know the difference. 🤣🤣🤣   It's the high vis (black with yellow strips) 

image.png.cc6b8e5aca8e921bed5d9c008e0c83a5.png

The original goal was getting her something white, so that whatever I ended up buying with match.   However, the same helmet in white was $299.00.   I actually would prefer my helmet in the same scheme, but I've looked around at Valiant II's, and I can see that her color is not offered in the II models.  Either way, our helmets won't match, and I can live with it.  (Heck, the bike is Mars Red anyhow, and if I wanted to color coordinate, I'd have gotten some sort of metallic red - just too dangerous with dark colors, rider, helmet, bike blending into the background.)   So, whatever I get is probably going to be white, though, this one's pretty, too. 😏

image.png.1a8ae86b3eb519cf82294d0d29057ce6.png

I'm in no hurry.  I'll look around over the next couple of months, to find my helmet.  Hopefully, there will be a sale somewhere on the Valiant II's.  Right now, they're about $360.