IGNORED

Buying a Car out of State (Texas)

Stir

I just finished buying a F350 Ford 2022 King Ranch in Texas.  I live in California.  Many seem to think it's not possible.  You will be told by others that you'll pay sales tax in both locations.  That you'll pay penalties in the target state.  All which is false.

McLane Ford, in Fredericksburg Texas, is one of the largest Ford Truck dealers in the nation.  They sell around 70 F350s a month.  The first time I was there, they had about 20 F350 duallys sitting on the lot.  I needed service on mine and Kenny McLane gave me the keys to a new one so we could go have breakfast.  They are a top notch Ford dealer.

The advantage of buying this truck from McLane, as opposed to a local dealer in San Diego, is cost.  I paid 75K for the King Ranch.  There is no negotiation, you just pay invoice.  There are no upsells or special charges.  I did buy the Ford Factory extended warranty but it was fairly inexpensive.  I'll apply my own ceramic coating..etc.

If I were to buy the truck in San Diego, it would have been about 100k.  I know this because the neighbor bought an F350 in 2013, a King Ranch and it cost her 90k plus tax and license.  I am related to a local dealer and he told me, "We aren't just going to give them away."  He was one who told me, and I've heard it before, that I would have problems with registration.  His dealership has multiple gas, single track, F250s starting at 84k.  A diesel option adds 11k, the King Ranch and dual tires also adds.  They have no F350s in stock so I don't really know how much it would actually cost to get one.

September 9th, 2021, we ordered the truck of our dreams.  It arrived in Texas on December 1st.  Jamie and I went to Hertz and rented a one way to Texas for $350.  We drove non stop until we reached a friend's house in San Antonio.  Next morning, at 9:30, we went in and bought our truck.  It took about 1/2 hour to do finish the deal.  No bullshit, no problems.  We then met Chris Blanske for dinner and stayed at his house,   Next morning, we were up at 4 a.m. and heading back to San Diego.  

I got some paperwork from DMV.  It was a bit sparse in the instructions, but after getting a new diesel truck smogged, and getting the VIN verified by the DMV, they gave me my plates and tags. It's a done deal. I will also be getting a refund of $200 for excess DMV fees.

I don't think I would buy a Ford from any where else now.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Stir said:

I just finished buying a F350 Ford 2022 King Ranch in Texas.  I live in California.  Many seem to think it's not possible.  You will be told by others that you'll pay sales tax in both locations.  That you'll pay penalties in the target state.  All which is false.

Bought many vehicles across state lines. ....only pay taxes in the state that its registered, not where the vehicle was purchased.

Congrats on the new truck, but, as always, it didn't happen if there are no photos

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1

Stir...what you said about buying that way is true now...but not always.  I owned 2 cars paid for and registered in Texas when we moved to San Francisco in 1989.  We had a short period of time to register them in Ca.  I was quite surprised when I was charged several hundred dollars per vehicle for bringing in cars from out of state. A few years later, I don't remember exactly when...I think under Arnold, there was a lawsuit declaring it illegal.  Shortly thereafter I received a refund for the amount paid.  To the best of my memory, it was about$400 per vehicle.

Now one more surprise.  When we were selling our house in Ca to move back to Texas....wasn't I surprised when I found out the city charges 1% of the sales price of the home if you aren't buying another home in the city.  I'm still pissed 15 years later. That was several thousand dollars.

Hope you had a chance to have a little german sausage and beer while in Fredericksburg.  

Mr. Stir,

What are your plans for such a heavy-duty truck?  Do you haul/tow big stuff?  Make a run to Alaska sometime.

I have a 2500 Ram with diesel that I use to tow an RV/toy-hauler.  They, and my BMW RT, are in NM now.

I've bought many vehicles out-of-state and registered them in Alaska.  In fact, the RV and RT have never been to AK, but are registered here because that's where my drivers license is from.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, Skywagon said:

Stir...what you said about buying that way is true now...but not always.  I owned 2 cars paid for and registered in Texas when we moved to San Francisco in 1989.  We had a short period of time to register them in Ca.  I was quite surprised when I was charged several hundred dollars per vehicle for bringing in cars from out of state. A few years later, I don't remember exactly when...I think under Arnold, there was a lawsuit declaring it illegal.  Shortly thereafter I received a refund for the amount paid.  To the best of my memory, it was about$400 per vehicle.

Now one more surprise.  When we were selling our house in Ca to move back to Texas....wasn't I surprised when I found out the city charges 1% of the sales price of the home if you aren't buying another home in the city.  I'm still pissed 15 years later. That was several thousand dollars.

Hope you had a chance to have a little german sausage and beer while in Fredericksburg.  

We went to Opas and brought a bunch of sausage an sauerkraut home.

The 1% would have pissed me off too.  How would they know you weren't staying in town?

On 12/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Ken S said:

Mr. Stir,

What are your plans for such a heavy-duty truck?  Do you haul/tow big stuff?  Make a run to Alaska sometime.

I have a 2500 Ram with diesel that I use to tow an RV/toy-hauler.  They, and my BMW RT, are in NM now.

I've bought many vehicles out-of-state and registered them in Alaska.  In fact, the RV and RT have never been to AK, but are registered here because that's where my drivers license is from.

We tow a horse trailer and we have a 36 foot fifth wheel.  We sold a 2008 F350.  It got 13 mph.  The new one gets almost 20 mph.

We  bought a place in Reno.  The registration and taxes weren't any better.  It seems that most of the states have caught on to soaking people.

28 minutes ago, Stir said:

Okay, so it really did happen.  :-)

D3AD6428-97C0-4A80-9559-F69446EA053D.jpeg

Why yes,.......it very will did,.... very nice looking truck.

In 2002, I was tempted to get a dually for my wife, but she didn't want that big of a truck ('twas her daily driver), so a single rear wheel F250 was her choice.  We would yank a 30ft toyhauler with a Jeep inside (bumper pull).  That 7.3 was a solid running motor!!!!

• Like 1