IGNORED

Oil Analysis Company recommendations

wbw6cos

Not to start an oil thread, but I read an article about an oil analysis company and was wondering what lab forum members use for testing their oil samples and why that lab?   If possible, keep the topic to the testing lab and not the oil; molybdenum is not what I need to know about - I have read a slew of threads on that topic.  :whistle:

I have 2 bikes and for some reason never got aound to sampling oil.  I intend to start.

A world wide web search did yield some results, but I want to keep it simple.   The whole process involving sampling, mailing, and getting test results should be hassle free.   What lab should I consider?  I did try to perform a forum search without any luck; could be my searching skills (lacking.)

I would be sampling:

Engine oil from Oilhead and Shift Cam motors.

Transmission oil from both bikes.

Rear Differential oil from both bikes.

Coolant from the Shift Cam bike.

Possibly similar fluids from my automobile, too.

Thanks,

22 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Not to start an oil thread, but I read an article about an oil analysis company and was wondering what lab forum members use for testing their oil samples and why that lab?   If possible, keep the topic to the testing lab and not the oil; molybdenum is not what I need to know about - I have read a slew of threads on that topic.  :whistle:

I have 2 bikes and for some reason never got aound to sampling oil.  I intend to start.

A world wide web search did yield some results, but I want to keep it simple.   The whole process involving sampling, mailing, and getting test results should be hassle free.   What lab should I consider?  I did try to perform a forum search without any luck; could be my searching skills (lacking.)

I would be sampling:

Morning  wbw6cos

I typically use Blackstone labs        https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

You can call them & request a sample kit & they will send you out the container & info on how to PROPERLY  obtain a quality oil sample to send in. 

There is also info on their web site on what to do & how to do it. 

Blackstone seems to be the go-to for a lot of home use vehicle oil testing & their data is usually top quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackstone for me too. Call or e-mail to get the sample kits. They make sending in the sample easier. I actually put their kit into a small box so I can put a label on them easier, but you can take what they provide to a Post Office or UPS/Fedex shipper to send. 

I would add that I don't send in a sample every oil change. Unless something is changing that should not be I don't see the need. 

Proper oil sample results sure remove the Bullshit from the conversations.......as well as give piece of mind that you are protecting your vehicle. 

Agree Blackstone is very good. I also recommend these guys if Blackstone is backed up. I buy plastic windshield cleaner and some lubricants as well. It’s about 1/2 price of Plexus 

There will always be some trace metal found. The key is where is it from, is it normal wear, and was there an unusual amount since last time

Money well spent. 

https://www.avlab.com/

Awesome replies.   I have been on Blackstone's web site and read about FAQ's on their process.  Kudos for the recommendations.

10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I would be sampling:

That's gonna get expensive. There is no transmission oil on the shift cam as well. Don't think you need an analysis on the coolant as well, you can change it without much expense. I'm not sure they even offer coolant analysis. I don't get the final drive tested either, they proven to be reliable on the new bikes.  I get an engine oil analysis on all of the rolling stock at 20000 mile intervals. Here is the last one on the big girl.  I'm quite happy with the Castrol based on Blackstone's analysis. Sorry it's a little fuzzy!

2110042680_Screenshot_20211212-210128_AdobeAcrobat2.thumb.jpg.25f627817aa2499c38f4338eddddc153.jpg

Thanks Mike.  I agree about testing ALL the fluids.   I got to thinking about that and the RT will be fine.   I may do periodic tests on final drive oil, possibly transmission oil,  for my 2000 C.   It has 116,xxx miles, and so far.......well, you know the rest.   Morbid curiousity, mostly.   

I've never had my oil analyzed, I just ride them till they blow. Which has never happened, I've not blown up one motor in any vehicle I've ever owned. And I really try. I am mean to my motorcycles, one with 125,000 miles right now (redlined well over 1000 times, including missed shifts and banging off the limiter), one with 50,000 miles, past bikes with many miles among them, cars, trucks, boats. If I had done analysis on them, I may have found issues and fixed them until I broke 'em even worse.

Had I expensive race motors, or critical motors like aircraft, I would take a different stance on motor health, but for daily drivers that are mass manufactured, I just change oil and run them.

A motor with 116,000 miles? I wouldn't start analyzing at that point, it seems to be working fine.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I've never had my oil analyzed, I just ride them till they blow. Which has never happened, I've not blown up one motor in any vehicle I've ever owned. And I really try. I am mean to my motorcycles, one with 125,000 miles right now (redlined well over 1000 times, including missed shifts and banging off the limiter), one with 50,000 miles, past bikes with many miles among them, cars, trucks, boats. If I had done analysis on them, I may have found issues and fixed them until I broke 'em even worse.

Had I expensive race motors, or critical motors like aircraft, I would take a different stance on motor health, but for daily drivers that are mass manufactured, I just change oil and run them.

A motor with 116,000 miles? I wouldn't start analyzing at that point, it seems to be working fine.

What you write is true. 

BUT...

How often do you change your oil? I won't change mine before 6,000 mile intervals. Last couple have been at over 7,000 miles. Yet the oil analysis says those would have been good to at least 9,000 miles. I can also see the difference in brands of oil. Not what I think, but facts to back up actual wear. So, I know I can go 9K miles because I have tested the oil. That means a lot on long trips and I think I save money and time going over 6K miles on oil changes. 

I have stretched out my oil changes to 5000 miles, running synthetic, this on air-cooled motors. I agree, from everything I have read it seems we change oil much more often than necessary.

Having said that, I never felt bad for changing oil before needed, it just feels good to have fresh oil in there. For me, that negates the need for analysis, which is about the cost of an oil change.

10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

10 hours ago, realshelby said:

What you write is true. 

BUT...

How often do you change your oil? I won't change mine before 6,000 mile intervals. Last couple have been at over 7,000 miles. Yet the oil analysis says those would have been good to at least 9,000 miles. I can also see the difference in brands of oil. Not what I think, but facts to back up actual wear. So, I know I can go 9K miles because I have tested the oil. That means a lot on long trips and I think I save money and time going over 6K miles on oil changes. 

I either start thinking about changing oil at 6k or when I think there's been quite some time since the last change.  If I don't recall when I did it, I'll check my spreadsheet, if the oil's been in there awhile, I'ma drop it

I've not had the need to analyze any oil, I'm not that concerned, actually not concerned at all.  My maintenance is intermittent and the oil changes happen, albeit not at the "recommended" specific times.  Over the past few years, I've done one at 4k (nearly a year 'tween changes), others at seven, eight, ten and 11k.  Final drive, less frequent, transmission, even less frequent than the requirements.

The goal on the RT was 100k, I've passed that (currently 145k) and the goal is now 200k.....but sharing riding duties with the GSA, it's slowed the mileage gains.  GSA is awaiting an oil change, I've been riding about 1k with the service light on.

If you really need to know the status of your innards, fund your analysis, good on ya, I just really don't see the need.

I use Blackstone for my Cummins.  One analysis is not that meaningful unless it is really bad.  Usually 4 or 4 cycles to see what the engine is doing.

• 1 year later...

I looked for an oil analysis topic and only came across this one. Without starting another I posted my oil analysis report here. 

Just received my results today from BlackStone Laboratories. 

2012 R1200rt. 104,000 miles.

Mobil One 15w/50 after engine break-in. 6,000 mile interval oil changes. Screenshot_20230607_180630_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.ab0453242dbd93bb649197f7c8cee60f.jpg