IGNORED

Stand-Up Trailers by Kendon

Rob Nowell

Does anyone have experience with these trailers?  I'm pretty sure I saw one in Torrey last summer.  It sure seems like a handy little trailer for my '16 RT and my '19 Ford Ranger.

• Rob Nowell changed the title to Stand-Up Trailers by Kendon
John Ranalletta

Seem to always be a few for sale on CL around here.  Older ones had a narrow loading ramp that I’d not be comfortable riding up upon.  Later ones have a wider ramp.  Look pretty solid.  Check max tongue rate on your tow vehicle vs tongue weight of loaded trailer.   

I’ve got one do the two-bike/utility models (new in 2020 I think). I haven’t used it much, but it’s worked fine when I have used it and it does a fine job standing up against the wall of the garage. I haven’t had two bikes on it at once yet, but I can attest to it pulling just fine with a single bike on one side. 

…I’m not sure your ranger will fit on there though ;)

I had a single rail years ago.  Well made and easy to stand up and store in the garage but, as John notes above, loading and unloading was difficult because there was just a rail and no ramp.  You needed two people because if you rode up or down, your feet would not have anything to touch but air.  Very scary.  The new ones and two rail trailers I understand are better.

2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Does anyone have experience with these trailers?  I'm pretty sure I saw one in Torrey last summer.  It sure seems like a handy little trailer for my '16 RT and my '19 Ford Ranger.

I'd look into the harbor freight stand up trailer and save you a bunch of $$$$  Search around the net, plenty people have used them with great success and many miles.

2010-05-02%2016.33.26.jpg

I'm cheap  frugal

a track riding buddy of mine has a single kendon, pulls it with his Mustang. works great.  Kendon are quality units and a bit more up front cost, but hold their value well.   money well spent

• Like 1

I have an older single rail. It works great but you do need two to load or unload. I had a two rail with extra center rail but it was so heavy I couldn’t stand it up or let it down by myself. They are very nice if you have no outside storage. Buy used and save lots of $$$$. 

I've owned a few of them.

Sold two of them to current board members.

I doubt I could stand one up now due to age and back problems. The last on I owned I rigged a pulley system with a brake winch to lift and lower the tongue. That worked well. They are easy to tow. I had the full width ramp for the back, easy to load and unload.

They do hold their value if you buy them used.  Darn, just used search tempest and found a lot of them around the country but the prices are about $1,000 higher for used ones than they were a few years ago, perhaps Indy Dave or Steve K might want to sell theirs and make a profit?????

10 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Now, this will no longer fold up, correct?

Yep, it still would fold

I've got a neighbor that has one of these, has had it for at least 15 years, hauls all kinds of stuff on it and the little trailer is still as solid as when he got it.

• Like 1

I have the large utility Kendon, bought used at a great discount,(2016 model IIRC) and the quality cannot be beat. I attach portable chocks for bikes. Perfect for the place I live as our HOA prohibits trailers parked outside. Fits fine in the third stall of my garage where the bikes live. Tows great and the torsion axle tracks perfectly over bumps at any speed within reason. I have hauled everything on it, gun safes, bikes, rubbish to the dump, furniture........

For loading I use longer ATV ramps and walk up one while the bike goes up the other.:thumbsup:

IMG_2370-1.JPG

A few years ago, I bought an older two rail Kendon trailer. The price was right but it required some work, i.e., new wheel bearings, new casters, rewiring, tires. I later replaced the wheels, rails, and had a welder buddy fabricate shields (not pictured) to protect my bikes from road debris. I agree with Bud in that it's a handful to raise on its end by myself so I'll be looking for a winch setup to assist with the task. It's well built and stores away quite easily once on end.K12S%202-M.jpg

The Kendon ramp is okay but not really long enough to safely load a bike. This photo shows a ramp I picked up at a local bike dealership that makes the loading process much easier but I'd still recommend having a spotter there just in case.

IMG_4075-X2.jpg

• Like 1
RecentConvert

I have the older single bike version.  Very well built and easy to stand and store.  Like all trailers, in my experience, keeping the lights working is an ongoing task.  Pulls straight and smooth at 80 mph.

Two items of note.

It is very tongue heavy with the '14 RT loaded, my guess is about 225 lbs.  Far more than my previous utility trailer at 110 lbs.  I wish the center of gravity was moved 5-6" rearward.

The narrow, pipe type ramp makes it a near requirement to have two people to load and unload.  I've loaded it alone using the RT to supply power, but don't recommend that!

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
32 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

It is very tongue heavy with the '14 RT loaded, my guess is about 225 lbs.  Far more than my previous utility trailer at 110 lbs.  I wish the center of gravity was moved 5-6" rearward.

Riding the GS up that skinny ramp is a "NFW" for me.  I can just see a stall about half way up....

Can the chock be moved rearward at all to reduce tongue weight?  In Randy's picture, it looks like there's 12-18" of space behind the rear wheel.  That would make a lot of difference.

We had the two up trailer for several years.  Nice pulling trailer, and it would stand up and fit in the garage easily.  We had some issue with rust, which Kendon said was normal.  The only other issue was that bikes with wider tires did not fit the rail.  Great for towing behind a smaller vehicle.

On my old single rail I took it to a local welder and had more tie down loops for the rear and reinforced the front tie down bars for less flex and my piece of mind. I apologize for the poor pic but it’ll give you the general idea. 

F761F4E8-05CC-4F78-A584-FB3AD3BF19DA.jpeg

4 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I have the large utility Kendon, bought used at a great discount,(2016 model IIRC) and the quality cannot be beat. I attach portable chocks for bikes. Perfect for the place I live as our HOA prohibits trailers parked outside. Fits fine in the third stall of my garage where the bikes live. Tows great and the torsion axle tracks perfectly over bumps at any speed within reason. I have hauled everything on it, gun safes, bikes, rubbish to the dump, furniture........

For loading I use longer ATV ramps and walk up one while the bike goes up the other.:thumbsup:

IMG_2370-1.JPG

Is that a Kootenai County license plate I see in the background?

Don’t need better pictures of the trailer but do need more of that R90. That is the bike that moved me to BMW. Simple and reliable as well as great looks

• Plus 1 1

I bought this ramp to load the bikes and quickly discovered it's more suited for ATV's or DS bikes with more clearance. 

ENWC9970-X2.jpg

I agree with others here who commented on tongue weight. My aforementioned welder buddy attached wheeled jack stand (or whatever you call it...) that makes a big difference.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Don’t need better pictures of the trailer but do need more of that R90. That is the bike that moved me to BMW. Simple and reliable as well as great looks

8CA29E58-4FD8-4392-8E4A-C6C4879D33D7.jpeg

CAE58DD6-077E-459E-8424-D48ACE6A0765.jpeg

A383BB04-0D82-4591-AB4D-E64F91B8C086.jpeg

• Like 4

Kendon makes I think 4 or 5 different sizes, I’ve got the small 3 rail, it’s a great trailer. I’ve had two 1150’s and an F650 on it before which is about its limit. The only problem is when 3 street bikes are on it the heaviest one has to be in the center for enough tongue weight, otherwise it will sway a little above 70. Also with just 2 bikes on the outside ramps there’s almost no tongue weight, you can pick it up with one hand. As far as loading I’ve always walked the bike up with it running in 1st gear.

91DCA480-61F8-4A1D-B8FD-B25C906C5376.thumb.jpeg.986797af832146970080482e082b20c5.jpeg

EDEBC47E-BC61-454F-BDC2-EED5C74E053B.thumb.jpeg.ac2c9cbb4b02dc07459bdba5eac8fbdc.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jake said:

That is one fine looking moto!  

Yes, and sir you should know!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

• Like 1

I forgot that I have some photos of a Kendon single bike trailer. The man in the photo drove up from Payson, AZ, to buy my K1. This was the first time I'd seen a Kendon and it made a lasting impression. 

004-M.jpg

005-M.jpg

8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

As far as loading I’ve always walked the bike up with it running in 1st gear.

This is how I load mine, but I use longer ramps(7' arc) so it is easier on the clutch. I walk up one while the bike tracks up the other.

I load my 900 pound ultra classic on my table lift using the clutch and walking beside it. What could go wrong?

I really should set up a camera to capture that YouTube moment if it ever happens...

• Smile 1
John Ranalletta
56 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I load my 900 pound ultra classic on my table lift using the clutch and walking beside it. What could go wrong?

I really should set up a camera to capture that YouTube moment if it ever happens...

I rode mine GS up/down.  One caution when backing off a lift table:  when loading and then dismounting, I'd put the kickstand down just in case I missed the dismount.  If one tries to back the bike off the table before raising the kick stand, it will catch on the table and stop the bike half on/half off.  If you're by yourself when doing this and you don't have a phone to call a friend, you're stuck.  Can't go back.  Can't go forward.  Can't lean enough to the right w/o falling over.  Kickstand won't hold bike at the odd angle.  Can't start the bike b/c the kickstand's down.  Ask me how I know this.

6 hours ago, beemerboy said:

I forgot that I have some photos of a Kendon single bike trailer. The man in the photo drove up from Payson, AZ, to buy my K1. This was the first time I'd seen a Kendon and it made a lasting impression. 

004-M.jpg

005-M.jpg

The lasting impression I would of had is seeing my beautiful blue K1 trailering off into the sunset. :(  :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I rode mine GS up/down.  One caution when backing off a lift table:  when loading and then dismounting, I'd put the kickstand down just in case I missed the dismount.  If one tries to back the bike off the table before raising the kick stand, it will catch on the table and stop the bike half on/half off.  If you're by yourself when doing this and you don't have a phone to call a friend, you're stuck.  Can't go back.  Can't go forward.  Can't lean enough to the right w/o falling over.  Kickstand won't hold bike at the odd angle.  Can't start the bike b/c the kickstand's down.  Ask me how I know this.

Evening John

There is a sort of workaround on this (works on the 800GS anyhow) so I see no reason it won't work on the larger bikes.  

Put transmission in neutral, start engine, then get settled, then kick trans into 1st (no clutch). Bike will jump forward a ways as the engine stalls. Might take a couple of tries but  once the bike moves back up far enough the side stand can be put up.  

I haven't had the fortune to do this myself but & got a frantic call from a friend that that got his 800GS caught like this (fortunately he had his phone in his pocket)  --  I suggested the above.

I got a call back about 10 minutes later saying bike was off the lift with a big thanks with a sigh of relief.  

I rode one up once, never again, no place to put my feet. I do have side extensions for the table, that would make it much easier to ride on and off, except for the ramp which has no side extensions, more potential for fun. I don't normally use the side extensions, kind of buried in the corner. Haven't had the kickstand issue, hope not to.

Back on to trailers, the Kendon is a nice trailer, helped a friend load one up, nice design for storage.

• Like 1

I’ve got a single rail Kendon that’s about two years old, the newest (I believe) design. It’s got a wide combined ramp setup and geometry that makes loading relatively easy (though it still freaks me out). It tows very well at freeway speeds. A nice trailer, though pricey.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening John

There is a sort of workaround on this (works on the 800GS anyhow) so I see no reason it won't work on the larger bikes.  

Put transmission in neutral, start engine, then get settled, then kick trans into 1st (no clutch). Bike will jump forward a ways as the engine stalls. Might take a couple of tries but  once the bike moves back up far enough the side stand can be put up.  

I haven't had the fortune to do this myself but & got a frantic call from a friend that that got his 800GS caught like this (fortunately he had his phone in his pocket)  --  I suggested the above.

I got a call back about 10 minutes later saying bike was off the lift with a big thanks with a sigh of relief.  

Thanks, DR.  I've since down sized and sold all my shop equipment, so  hoping not to have that experience again.

16 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The lasting impression I would of had is seeing my beautiful blue K1 trailering off into the sunset. :(  :classic_biggrin:

And that is why I took this photo. Should never have sold it....:facepalm:

010-M.jpg

• Smile 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, RandyShields said:

I had a single rail years ago.  Well made and easy to stand up and store in the garage but, as John notes above, loading and unloading was difficult because there was just a rail and no ramp.  You needed two people because if you rode up or down, your feet would not have anything to touch but air.  Very scary.  The new ones and two rail trailers I understand are better.

I had a similar experience as Randy having owned a single rail Kendon for about 12 years.  It was truly the best motorcycle trailer for limited space in the garage.   While it was a bit tricky to load it was easier with a spotter, although I loaded and unloaded it quite a few times solo.   But the newer ride up made is the way I would go for sure.   But the great thing about Kendon trailers is they are built for one purpose ... to haul motorcycles and as such has all the tie down points and rail/chock.  In addition the Kendon has full size wheels and tires and a unique torsion suspension.  I would buy another in a heart beat! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the old 2 bike model (2007) without the new loading feature.  I've towed an 1150RT across Canada (10,000km) and to Utah (5,000km) on some really crappy roads with a RAV4, my 1200GS to South Dakota (4,000 km) with a Subaru Outback and the combination of my 1200GS and KLX400 to California with a GMC Sierra 1500 (3,000km).  Just some notes:

• I find it more tongue heavy than Bill (roadscholar) seems to find it.  But I admit that I haven't added a tongue jack to put it on a scale and measure it.  I'm just going by how my RAV4 and Outback resopond to the trailer when the bikes are loaded.
  • I'm a pretty small framed 5'10" guy and and struggled standing it up for a long time.  But a few years ago I started putting small wheel chocks behind the wheels.  That helped a lot to move from the initial leg-powered lift of the tongue to rest it on a big bucket or sawhorse to that final lift to standing up.
  • I bought Kendon's accessory longer/wider ramp on sale for 50% off at a local shop (Deluxe Motorcycle Trailer Loading ramp).  I load the bike on the factory (narrow) ramp and walk alongside the GS on the Deluxe ramp.  And (of course) I use slopes or curbs to bring the rear deck as close to the ground as possible. 
  • The tie-down points aren't equal distance from the bike/wheel center.  So over many, many miles the rear of the bike tends to get pulled to the outside of the trailer.  I added a couple of lengths of 3/4" PVC tubing that are strapped to the open deck at the back to act as "rails" to keep the rear wheel centered.  

20191102_BikesonKendon.jpg

20211115_bikes.jpg

Mike C

Dennis Andress

I think my Kendon is even older than Mike's. On mine the wheel chock that is supposed to catch the back of the wheel and hold the bike in place is designed for 19" wheels. I took them off as they barely touched the tire. We had three or four sets of trailer lights vibrate themselves to death before we found a pair of LED lights that have held in there. I replaced the junk wheel bearings with Timkens years ago. The spare tire mounts under the trailer (leaving around 4" of ground clearance). It's important to take the spare off before you tip the trailer down. Then strap the spare to the trailer after you've loaded your bike.

Overall it's been a handy tool. It's easier to walk the Kendon in and out of the garage than backing a heavier trailed into a tight spot alongside the house. When I towed behind an SUV the bikes got hit by a lot of road grit. I haven't noticed that when towing with the F-150. 

2 hours ago, MikeRC said:

• I find it more tongue heavy than Bill (roadscholar) seems to find it.  But I admit that I haven't added a tongue jack to put it on a scale and measure it.  I'm just going by how my RAV4 and Outback resopond to the trailer when the bikes are loaded.
  • I'm a pretty small framed 5'10" guy and and struggled standing it up for a long time.  But a few years ago I started putting small wheel chocks behind the wheels.  That helped a lot to move from the initial leg-powered lift of the tongue to rest it on a big bucket or sawhorse to that final lift to standing up

Mike C

Mike that’s a different model than mine, I’d said they make 4 or 5 different ones but after checking their site it’s more like 10. Mine is a smallish 3 rail with the axle more centrally located rather than toward the rear like yours allowing more tongue weight. It’s also likely to be easier to stand up. 

90945C9C-E11A-4E39-87DE-C712BFE86579.thumb.jpeg.088eb0dd03bfa4ab8aba78fc692bc305.jpeg

081B3DCA-167A-441F-9C54-CDDA8E55E29F.thumb.jpeg.da3149643e5f6e91ec2f48e323e42097.jpeg

Had it about 15 years and it’s been great, with dirt bikes no issues at all but with larger bikes I have to load the heaviest one in the center to get enough tongue weight but no biggie. There is one other issue, because it's so short there are a couple bikes with long wheelbases that won't fit on the outside rails, i.e. an 800GS, big KTM's, and probably any Harley.

https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-trailers 

5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Mike that’s a different model than mine, I’d said they make 4 or 5 different ones but after checking their site it’s more like 10. Mine is a smallish 3 rail with the axle more centrally located rather than toward the rear like yours allowing more tongue weight. It’s also likely to be easier to stand up. 

Had it about 15 years and it’s been great, with dirt bikes no issues at all but with larger bikes I have to load the heaviest one in the center to get enough tongue weight but no biggie. There is one other issue, because it's so short there are a couple bikes with long wheelbases that won't fit on the outside rails, i.e. an 800GS, big KTM's, and probably any Harley.

https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-trailers 

Ahh, OK.  Mine is probably the older version of the Dual Stand-up.  It looks to be 13 inches longer total and most of that appears to be in the front deck.  I actually bought the third rail for mine, but I have never had more than 2 motorcycles on it.  

I have also replaced the lights once.  Maybe Dennis will let me use that nice pristine garage of his to switch out the bearings when I bring it back from California in April.  

Mike C

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Maybe Dennis will let me use that nice pristine garage of his to switch out the bearings when I bring it back from California in April.  

Mike C

Sure. 

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
21 hours ago, MikeRC said:

...bearings...

Mike C

I can't find the (old) NAPA receipt with the Timken bearing # and seal sizes...