IGNORED

Triumph Releases The Big Tiger!

TEWKS

Wow, BMW better make the new R1300 GS way less ugly than the disguise suggests. Because, this thing is pretty damn good looking! :thumbsup:

1A6E4765-17EF-4E1D-ADFD-87951303E835.jpeg

“Bigger/Better,” It’s not always the case, true. I test rode the older 800 against the newish 1200 at the time and the smaller bike was light years ahead of the 1200. 

Now this being a completely new machine makes it worthy of a little excitement. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Red said:

Why is bigger always better?  When will the arms (displacement) race end?  

I remember in the late '70s Kawasaki came out with a six cylinder 1300cc motorcycle. At the time, I thought that was about as big an engine & motorcycle combination that could be made. Boy, was I ever wrong. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who dreamed of touring the USA on a Honda CB450 or a Suzuki Titan 500. 

• Like 1

I watched the video.. obviously pro riders. There were a couple do things they did that would have sent me to the coroner. I wonder how much that pig weighs

• Like 1

Did you see the little sideways wonky jump. You gotta give Triumph credit for not cutting away the landing. Most manufacturers don’t want you to see how heft and gravity work together. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I watched the video.. obviously pro riders. There were a couple do things they did that would have sent me to the coroner. I wonder how much that pig weighs

The offroad oriented version comes in at the same weight as R1250gs at 549 lbs., the more street oriented version comes in at 540 lbs.  I was waiting on the announcement to see how much weight they'd cut from the outgoing model.  I'd love to have a shaft drive Tiger and avoid chain maintenance, but that Tiger 900 RP at around 475 lbs. seems like the ticket.

15 hours ago, beemerboy said:

No. Come on, man, get wit the program!

wtf-is-going-on-confused-Th.gif

lol, you're right; the Honda CBX was only an 1100 (six cyl)

On 12/8/2021 at 1:43 AM, Red said:

look at the heavy weight cruiser market, even BMW jumped the shark when entering it.

I think also that 90% of the adv bikes, especially the larger ones, don't see any real off-road riding other than an occasional graded gravel road, much like Jeeps.

Yeah, big bikes on anything other than a nice dirt road or fire access road is work. Another stress to the big bikes in small spaces is there’s usually no service team waiting for your SOS call. You’re on your own most of the time.

Now where the big bikes do shine is getting you from A to B in comfort.

Been thinking about my preferred mode of travel lately to certain riding destinations and I’ve come to the conclusion that trucking the bike seems to work pretty well. :classic_blush: :classic_biggrin:

So would something like this be the better choice? Maybe…:dontknow: 

2022 Tenere 700

2022-Yamaha-Tenere-700-new-colors-and-pr

• Like 3

I like the new Triumph Tiger 1200, they've reduced weight and upped HP so a good combination plus the bike looks good which is a plus. I like the fact they added a version with a larger fuel tank to compete the the GSA so you're getting more power and the same range as the GSA which for some folks is a plus. There's a good article on Adventure Rider about the new Tiger 1200 for anyone who wants to read up on them.

https://advrider.com/triumph-unveils-five-new-tiger-1200-models/

On 12/8/2021 at 1:43 AM, Red said:

Bigger is not always better but in the case of the new Triumph Tiger 1200 I think Triumph nailed it by reducing weight compared to the outgoing Tiger while increasing HP. Smaller bikes with smaller displacement aren't for everyone just like larger bikes with larger engines aren't for everyone which is why manufacturers give us choices.

• Like 1